1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The completely unofficial "The Order Of the Stick"-thread (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Lunne89, Apr 24, 2007.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just read the latest one (#539) and for some reason this caused me to laugh uncontrollably for what felt like forever. Love Belkar, love his logic.

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The best part is that the halfling is not the stereotype thief. Did all of you look at the extra's ?

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    "She knows what's poisonous to dogs but not that humans can't shoot lightning?" I like these remarks, you can see Burlew had some funny idea, noticed a flaw in it, and then added both into the comic. :shake:

4. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    A Thank You Note (New Reader)

Well, I've officially finished reading the comic a few minutes ago, and I can't wait for more of it to get published.

Since this thread is the reason I started reading OotS in the first place, I thought I should just drop by and say thank you to all of you guys.

I've had a lot of lol moments with it, and some lines I'll never forget. :D

So, thank you. :)

With that said, I'll just get back to creating a Belkar-like PC for my next BG run. (I may prefer V and Durkon, but the little guy is screaming Ascension. :evil:)

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

charisma as a dump stat :D got that right hehe

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Poor O-Chul. I bet he's gonna want to slap Belkar silly when he sees him next.

In any event, I have a question -- when is the next book coming out? I've got all 4 books and really want to see the extras and stuff that Burlew is gonna put in the third mainline book. Any news from cyberspace?

7. Trellheim Gems: 22/31

Media:
    :idea: Monster in the Darkness is a grue!

Loreseeker likes this.
  8. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

That... that would actually fit so well. Seriously, if it was a grue, it would be both clever and funny. And now I really hope it isn't, because if it is, then it will feel like the suprise is ruined when the monster is revealed.

Why didn't I think of that? :D

9. Loreseeker

Media:
    Trell... you are a genius! :)

/me takes imaginary hat off in respect

However, if Monster in Darkness was indeed grue, wouldn't Xykon have a problem when the time for his revealment finally came?
    He never mentions that the Monster has a problem with light... And the Monster itself is eager to step out of the shadows. Is it ignorant of its real nature, or not really a grue?

Of course if he were DnD and not pure Zork kind of grue light wouldn't be that much of an issue.

In any case, excellent hypothesis, Trell.

10. Trellheim Gems: 22/31

Media:
    @ Loreseeker, yeah, that's the problem with my thought, I know. But it just so fitting.
    And what else could it possibly be? Every other possibility, dragon/some superpowered little guy/weird human... I don't know, it seems too obvious.

11. Loreseeker

Media:
    It is fitting, definitely. I'm just not sure if the fit is intentional. Maybe even the OotS creator doesn't know what the Monster is. :)

Personally, I'm intrigued, but I stopped guessing after a while. In a strange way, I'm not even sure if I want to find out. That pink umbrella is hiding infinite possibilities.

Still, here are my conclusions, if you are interested.

1. Not a Dragon, or something similar, that is, not a classical Monster type.
    Argument: Your own, Trell - Predictability

2. Not a Human, or derivative of it.
    Argument: Devouring live children requires more than a human's set of teeth. Besides, it doesn't "feel" humanoid, although that is not an acceptable argument.

3. Sentient, mind level of a child.
    Argument: Its lines in the comic.

4. It has hands, or an equivalent of it (tentacles etc.).
    Argument: It's holding the umbrella, flashlight, popcorns, etc.

5. Extremely powerful/strong.
    Argument: It stomps the ground and an earthquake happens (not to mention the ground ripping apart).

6. It doesn't seem to have/know its own name. This adds credibility to not knowing its possible grue nature. ;)

7. Immune to physical damage (at least piercing).
    Argument: Belkar attacks it OotS #477, it doesn't even notice it. (This made me think Shadow creature, but its eating habits don't fit.)

8. Omnivorous. (in the widest sense of that word)
    Argument: Not needed.

9. Not afraid of light, although point 6. could explain this.
    Argument: Comic, end of first dungeon.
    (Still, I must admit that I would expect some sort of instinctive fear of light from a grue, even if it doesn't know what it is.)

10. It speaks, and speaks Common.
    (Raised away from its kind, whatever that kind might be?)

That's all I can think of for now, guys.

Feel free to add conclusions of your own, or alter these, if you disagree.

So far, Trell's grue hypothesis is looking pretty solid.

P.S. Xykon is a lich, and has been for some time, I reckon. Does this narrow down the possible places where he could have picked up the Monster? (Possibly not, but I thought I might put it here anyway.)

12. Trellheim Gems: 22/31

Media:
    I really shouldn't be making any more conspiracy theories this late, but:

Trell's Additional Theory! Grue with the Uruk-hai treatment.
    Remember how Saruman made Orcs resistant to light by crossbreeding them with Humans?
    Well maybe MitD was created by a wizard (who must have died from too much maniacal laughter shortly afterwards) crossbred a grue and something else to make our dark friend.

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You see that the turtle wins if it is motivated enough.

14. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmmh, it was mentioned at some point that tMiD comes from some some deep jungle. And that it was in circus IIRC. I don't know if this means anything, but it could. Whatever it is, it's insanely powerful.

Oh, and the natives sure don't like strangers. Or possibly strangers-doing-something-they-really-ought-not-to.

15. Loreseeker

Media:
    "Unless your teeth are silver or Good-aligned, I don't think so..." :lol:

"See? I told ye they were in league wit da trees." - Durkon... :D

16. Lunne89 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

You're welcome. ;)

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm pretty sure the Monster in the Darkness is going to turn out to be a gaming site administrator/moderator.

:p

18. Merlanni

Media:
    560. the last frame.

In a way we can say he was the first super hero, but that will be not enough credit to even more famous ones like Big H, or Mr A.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  19. Trellheim Gems: 22/31

Media:
    I felt guilty for not reading the comic again for some time. The whole orc thing just seems like Rich doesn't have any idea how to continue the actual story. Also, my brain has only a limited capacity to withstand Orc speak before imploding.

But the Dharma Corp door was pretty funny. And puppet god brothers that cannae even eat pie. :p

20. Merlanni

Media:
    He needs to bring the plotlines together. Messy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.