1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The completely unofficial "The Order Of the Stick"-thread (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Lunne89, Apr 24, 2007.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Is it me or does anyone else hear Belkar talking in Cartman's voice when reading the strip? It adds an even more bizarre element of humor for me.

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    That's funny - I've always thought that too!

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

noooo... no updates for 3 weeks :(

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Cartman over here also :)

I agree, it will be a long 3 weeks.

5. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I also hear Martin Prince's voice from the Simpsons whenever Vaarsuvius "speaks."

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Now, I don't agree with either of the previous two, but does anyone else think of Groundskeeper Willie's voice (The Simpsons, again) whenever Durkon speaks?

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Absolutely yes to Cartman :thumb:

And yes to Martin Prince, but for Elan, not Vaarsuvius.

Willie works, but that LOTR guy is better. :p

And Roy is Harrison Ford (Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark version).

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Elan has more charisma than Martin could ever have. To be honest, try as I might, I can't think of a good voice for him. I'd go with Durkon being either Groundskeeper Willie or Mr. Scott from "Star Trek".

Hailie's voice would definitely be a young Susan Sarandon. Roy's would be Tom Hanks. And while I hate to do it, I'd give Varsuvius Orlando Bloom's voice (which is really too easy, I know.)

How about Xykon? I vote Christopher Walken. Redcloak? This is gonna sound weird, but I'd go with Denzel. Roy's dad would be Pacino. Miko could be Lucy Liu. MitD, I vote for Billy Crystal.

9. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    V has to be someone with a more intelligent voice than Bloom's.

Walken's definitely Xykon, I always thought he sounded dead anyway. Ford-Roy, LotR-Durkon and Cartman-Belkar(except when he's mad) are also a "yes".

Morgan Freeman is "The wacky old dude with the cat"(Lord Shojo) or Roy's dad.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pacino as Roy's dad? I would've said Mel Brooks.

Tom Hanks as Roy isn't bad, though. But I still like Harrison.

Xykon is an evil Harvey Korman.

I know, I'm warped. :D

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I left out Angelina Jolie as the girl from the Linnear Guild (forgot her name), and maybe even Brad Pitt as Nale (not so much for the voice as for the sake of putting the two together again) Another good voice for Nale would be Hugh Laurie. The only name for Helga that comes to mind is Rosie O'Donnell, but that's just because they share a phenotype.

I'm trying to think of someone with an androgynous voice for V -- anyone got any ideas?

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    New comic is out, after a long break. It was worth the wait though. The Dragon Ball jokes were hysterically funny, I almost fell off my chair :lol:

13. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

And it returns with a disappointing fizzle. I guess I got my expectations too high.

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'd prefer a female voice for V. I think quite a few actresses could do a decent job with an androgynous - or at least undeterminable - elven voice.

15. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I thought the new comic was great. It really harked back to the earlier ones with a good joke in almost every panel. A lot of the later ones had become very narrative heavy. As much as I love the characters, the jokes are what OOTS is about.

Not sure how many of ye would have seen Father Ted but Ardal O'Hanlon (Father Dougal) would be perfect for capturing the gormless simplicity of Elan. If you wanted a pretty boy I think Justin Timberlake might be an idea and could do the singing too! Although obviously not any songs like the ones he currently sings.

I think Morgan Freeman would be perfect for Shojo. Not sure about Roy's Dad though. Freeman's very laconic while I always picture Roy's Dad as being full of energy.

16. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

The afterlife as soap opera was a great gag. I'm wondering, though, if he's focussing on Roy and the afterlife because he doesn't know yet how he wants to untangle the mess down on the Prime Material Plane!

17. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I'm beginning to wonder about that too...It's lingering a little long in limbo.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Latest comic is up -- "the hypothetical offspring of Sauron and Cruella de Ville" -- BWAHH HA HA HA!
    That was freaking hilarious. I love Belkar.

They should do a live action film of this strip --they successfully did it for "Sin City" (I just saw it, finally) and I think it could be a real hoot (though of course it would need some re-working to appeal to a slightly broader audience than D&D players).

19. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Belkar has OFFICIALLY been labelled as Chaotic Evil! :grin:

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Maybe it's the physicist in me, but my favourite part was noticing that the SI unit of evil seems to be kilonazis... :shake:

Colthrun: I think Belkar's been "labelled" as CE for ages. Rich Burlew has often made forum appearances at GitP to correct folks trying to argue for a CN (or even CG :skeptic: ) Belkar with comments like: "He's just evil". Not to mention this. The Belkster was flagged as evil back in #11, and his chaotic nature has never really been in doubt.

This does lead on to something, though - the Giant seems to making a point of explicitly "revealing" his characters' alignments, with Elan working "Chaotic Good am I" into his song for Roy in #445. My suspicion is that Burlew has grown tired of constant alignment speculation about characters who he clearly intended to stand for a particular alignment.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.