1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Chaser boys: are they going too far?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by TrueBlueAussie, Oct 18, 2007.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

All right, even if your not an Aussie, you may have heard about some of the stunts that they pulled recently when Bush visited Oz (the fake motorcade that managed to get through two police check points)
    But is that and the song that was played last night that abused a lot of good people (a few werent but a lot were) going too far?

I love these guys a lot as most of their stuff is sooo bloody funny, but have they been taking it too far recently?

Opinions anyone?

For those of you who havent seen the footage:
    (only watch the second one if you can handle a fair amount of colourful language)
    Apec Meeting

The song

(PS: if you dont know these guys, just search for chasers war on youtube and you will see most of their stuff)

Edit: Added links to videos of the APEC meeting and the song last night

[ October 18, 2007, 12:42: Message edited by: TrueBlueAussie ]

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If people don`t realize its humor, its their problem. And you can never go too far when it comes to Bush, Saddam, Hitler and the likes.

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Well, personally I found them hilarious. :lol:

Still, I would consider the audience before launching into this kind of humour myself. I realize this is a bit beyond the pale for many people.

4. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Personally, I find them hilarious as well, but both of these have caused major s*** stirs over here.

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Without the chaser there would be no one to heckle the politicians with pointless questions. They play an important role in society...just I dont think the politicians would aggree with me there :D

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

They're brilliant, and one of the reasons why is that they don't believe that there's such thing as 'too far'. What they're doing is pretty important social commentary in a way that people actually care about it.

The song is really great and, best of all, true. All the outrage over it is, I'd be willing to bet, mostly fabricated by the media. It's the current affairs shows and the like that are the ones telling us we are offended (and this happens all the time, the current affairs shows going 'OMG teh horror!' over something that doesn't elicit any horror on its own to ordinary people). But really, who are the ones that eulogise dead celebrities the most?

Yep, current affairs shows.

(And by 'current affairs shows' I'm thinking Today Tonight and A Current Affair as the main perpetrators, but also the channel 7, 9, and 10 news who also happily sensationalise and report worthless bull**** as opposed to real news. I could rant all day about the diluted **** they pass off as news...).

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Ha! That's brilliant!

8. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

You make a fair point there Aik, about it probably being fabricated by the media, considering he pretty much said that Anna Coren is as bad as any of the types of people he was listing off at the end.

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Cool, reminds me of that time a reporter got an RPG in the national assembly. It was hilarious when he was talking to the interior minister and told him "Yeah, about that increased security, you do know what this is, right?"

Anyway, I think they were okay. They messed up with people a little, but they did make a good point.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.