1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The changing face of geeks

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Silvery, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    (Not sure where to put this so I thought here was as good a place as any!)

The poll question we have 'In general, do you feel that CRPGs developed these days are as good as those developed 5-10 years ago?' got me thinking.

CRPGs have changed a lot since they first came about but I think peoples attitudes have changed as well.

Think about it. A few years ago the world of RPG was the domain of chess club goers. Males who wore glasses and couldn't get girlfriends, sweaty 30 year olds who still lived with there mothers and the fat, unpopular kids.

These days, a lot has changed and this site is a perfect example. There are people from all walks of life on here. We have scientists, lawyers, students, housewives and all sorts. There is a huge range of ages, there are people of both sexes, there are people who are single, married, in relationships. People of all types of religion...everything.

So yes, the games themselves have changed but so have we all. You don't have to be a 'geek' anymore to enjoy these games whether they are on paper or on computer. You don't even have to know what a 1d4 is or what +3 means when it is added on to the name of something.

Everyone can now enjoy these games and I think that, as a community, we're doing a damn good job of proving it!

2. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Speak for yourself. I'm old skool :cool:.

Incidentally, the ad at the bottom is for some kind of 'proud to be a geek' tshirt.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I defied all those stereotypes.

I made fun of the Chess Club nerds.
    I wore glasses, but I always had a girlfriend throughout grades 7th-12th.
    I wasn't fat.
    I wasn't sweaty.
    I wasn't pasty-white.

I was strong/toned (swim & water polo teams).
    I was almost as tan as a Mexican (again swim & water polo teams).
    I could talk and act normally in social situations, but I could also speak geek if need be.
    Nerds and many Geeks sit behind a computer dreaming about models they'll never touch...while I actually went out and got one (and even though she turned in to a filthy whore, it was hell'a fun while it lasted).

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Speak for yourself. I'm a friendless virgin. With glasses.

5. Kitrax

Media:
    /me points and laughs [​IMG]

Whatever happened to that hottie you took to whatever dance you have a picture posted of? I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. :yum:

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm very cool. I play RPG's, and have done for many years. Not religiously like, games are just something to do when there's nothing else happening - other people use the TV, I can't stand TV. I tend to find RPG games the best to play, as they are generally really re-playable. FPS games are more fun, I think, but once you've completed it, it's done (CoD4 the exception, it had great multiplayer). Despite all this, I am the most coolest guy in town, even my mum says so!

7. Kitrax

Media:
    [​IMG]

Cocky little nerd aren't you? :p

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Yeah man :D

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Barmy's town: population 13
    (1 guy, 1 women over 65, 11 girls under 12)

:p

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    There's a woman over 65 in my town? Score! There's no substitute for experience.

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...that reminds me of a joke:

I ended up with an older woman at a club last night.
    She looked OK for a 65-year-old. In fact, she wasn't too bad at all, and I found myself thinking that she probably had a hot daughter. We drank a bit, and had a bit of a snuggle, and she asked if I'd ever had a Sportsman's Double.
    'What's that?', I asked.
    'It's a mother and daughter threesome,' she said.
    I said, 'No, but I would sure like to..." excitedly.
    We drank a bit more, and then she says that tonight was 'my lucky night...' and we went back to her place.
    She put on the hall light and shouted upstairs, 'Mom, you still awake?'

12. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    The times they are a-changing... Nowadays even cute girls play RPGs. It's way cooler. :p

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nothing's really changed. You're all still geeks to me.

14. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ah T2, you're just jealous because you aren't the king of us geeks!

You aren't wrong Cara, looking at the SP facebook page, we have a few hotties on this site!

15. Caradhras

Media:
    Look at his rep Silvery, T2Bruno is the King! ;)

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Naw, I'm just the prom queen ... wait ... hmmmm.

Caradhras likes this.
  17. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

That really fell apart two years ago :lol: Situation is better now; complicated, and involving me juggling three girls, but we'll keep that quiet for now :p

The strange thing about this is that I don't play any games anymore really (other than a social game of Mario Kart/Party/Halo) and never got into the super nerdy/geek stuff. I just come here because it's a diverse community with different views on things and I have a reputation for being able to adapt and enjoy whomever I'm with.

I do wear glasses.

Caradhras likes this.
  18. Caradhras

Media:
    Still get to wear a crown! ;)

It's indeed a great community. :)

I started wearing glasses when I was 16 (I was taking driving lessons and noticed my eyesight wasn't that good). I was very self conscious about wearing glasses, it took me a few years to get comfortable with them. People tend to look at you in a different way when you're wearing glasses. Add RPGs and oddball stuff and it's easy to get a geek label. Although I never was a complete geek growing up, I resented that.

19. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Oh, you're too kind :p

20. Kitrax

Media:
    Yeah...with those blond locks you have, I can see how she mistook you for a chick... :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.