1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The cause of Earthquakes

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Triactus, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, stop the press!! The cause behind earthquakes has been unearthed (haha, what a choice of words by me!) here.

For years, decades, centuries even, we were under the false impression it all had something to do with tectonic plates and the like. OF COURSE NOT! Such lies should be condemned. The cause of earthquakes is scantily dressed women!

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    That guy's never been out in the north-east on England on a friday night, clearly

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's actually quite funny. What a zealot.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm usually the first to blame things on women, but this is a little much even for me!

I could say some more funny stuff, but it's MUG level stuff, so I'll hold my peace.

5. Triactus

Media:
    We want to know. THE PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW!

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I presume you lot have already heard ot Boobquake?

It's a campaign to disprove this theory by having every woman wearing a low cut top and showing cleavage (or short skirt/shorts depending on preference) on the 26th April whilst in public.

If there is an earthquake apologies will follow.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I always suspected this.

8. Triactus

Media:
    As the saying goes, if there are no pictures, it never happened... :D

9. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Yeah, it's just another idiot preacher given far too much media exposure. Again.:rolleyes:
    I find the last bit of the article much more interesting than the anti-islam propaganda aspect:
    You gotta hand it to them, that's some far-reaching initiative. It sounds like they can get things done!:cool:
    If Washington D.C. was situated on a faultline, they'd just reassure people, to 'avoid panic'. I don't see anyone trying to relocate people away from San Fransisco either..

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's odd. I alsways thought scantily clad women were responsible for eruptions (at least in men).

Triactus likes this.
  11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Earth quakes happen when Zeus farts, or when Thor is mauling the earth with his ... hammer.

12. Triactus

Media:
    LOL, that's a good one! :lol:

13. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    They may not cause earthquakes (at least, this remains uncertain), but like it or not, they do make the world go 'round.

14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

In all seriousness, this sort of thing can be traced back to the Bible, and probably to earlier religious documents from other religions as well. The Old Testament is full of God smiting the wicked for their wickedness. Given the postulate that God is the Lord of all Creation, it stands to reason that he can control that Creation and use it for his own purposes.

The most famous example is Sodom and Gomorrah, whose inhabitants were evil and depraved (and not just in a sexual sense, I've done some reading and it would appear that their complete disregard for the well being of their fellow man is something that is more condemned in some versions of the text, but I digress). In any event, it would appear that in the entire city, there weren't 10 righteous people, so God smashed it somehow. The Biblical text doesn't say how, but it appears to have been a natural cataclysm of some sort.

An invading army was smitten by the Lord via a plague of camp dysentery or some such.

There are other OT examples. Of course, the New Testament has the story of a blind fellow, and some people asked Christ whose sin had brought about the blindness. Christ's answer was basically "no one's". He also later said that "rain falls on the just and unjust", which is a poetic way of saying "crap happens".

After every modern catastrophe, be it natural or man-made, religious leaders from varying traditions make the statement that the catastrophe was allowed to happen by God due to some sort of violation of God's will on the part of the affected populace. To get the definitive answer on that one, one of us here will have to ask God if that's true. I nominate Splunge, since he and God go way back -- rumor has it that God got Splunge's input when creating the platypus.

If Splunge isn't willing to use his connections, I guess we'll just have to wait until we shuffle off this mortal coil and we can do the asking ourselves. In the mean time, I think it would behoove religious leaders to ask "how can we, as instruments of God's will, help the people affected?" rather than making judgemental claims on the righteousness of the victims.

15. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    It could be that the cleric in question has a long running campaign against women wearing sexy clothes and, maybe in desperation, he turned from the usual and more refined BS to extreme, new (unrefined), and eye catching BS.

After all, he wants to catch distracted eyes. Its a hard job.

About the whole moving from Tehran issue.

First, dictatorships are capable of moving quickly due to their centralized command structure allowing them to pour resources into a specific goal.... its just taking care of all the other goals that they aren't focused on at the time where they trip up.

If you want an example of this think of Stalin having Russian factories moved in WWII when they may have been left vulnerable to a Nazi attack had they stayed west of the Urals.

Also this may have nothing to do with Earthquakes at all since sitting on a fault line this long hasn't gotten them to move the capital yet. They want to move the capital to a smaller city because it may have less people and thus is easier to control if a significant portion of the population decides to think of having an uprising.

If rioters and protestors were actually able to take over the whole of Tehran do you know how many offices, paperwork, and who knows what other government machinery/property the current government would have to give up if it evacuated.

But if the city is small enough less troops need to be called in to control the crowds. Especially if it is a city chosen because its population, as a whole, may be unusually loyal to officials in the current government. After all, moving a capital, no matter what the reason is, means one can move it to the city of their choosing.

I think it was Burma (a military dictatorship) that did something similar. It moved the government HQ out of a city that could possibly erupt with protestors to a series of bunkers (with likely tight military control) in the jungle.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    He's Iranian, they have a long running campaign against women wearing any clothes they don't approve. They could make a mint if they just said it had to have the Cleric's Holy Stamp of Approval on it, too.

As for the theology behind "God smites the Evil", there's an interesting distinction between human evil and natural 'evil'. Natural 'evil' is described as the inherrant corruption of the natural world thanks to man's sin. So, from that perspective, scantily dressed women do cause earthquakes. But, so do lusty men, liars, cheats, murderers, anyone dwelling on anger or hate, anyone who puts anything before God, and the list goes on. Plus, it started a long time ago and we can't even fix what's already gone wrong, so the earthquakes and typhoons would continue even if we all became perfect today.

Kinda depressing, really.

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, that Iranian cleric's and Pat Robertson's world views are strikingly similar.

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Seriously? If I ever find a woman that can <MUG> so hard it causes an earthquake, I'm marrying her the next day! :bigeyes:

19. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    In regards to 8's comment in regarding Boobquake - that happens tomorrow (Monday) and I'm all signed up for it. I've already got my cleavage baring top out and ready to go so that I can participate along with the many others who have signed up for it, to see if such a thing will truly bring on anything other than a bunch of men trying to look down a woman's shirt without drooling too much. If anything, we might end up with mass flooding from the drool factor, but otherwise, I don't see anything else happening. Who knows, maybe it'll even cause those who hole up in front of their computers in their parents' basement to actually see the light of day so they can see a real pair with their very own eyes, in the flesh even! :D

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I have a three hour train journey tomorrow. Am wondering if I will survive a corset :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.