1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The best long sword?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by {OverLoad}, Dec 15, 2004.

1. {OverLoad} Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] What in your opinion is the best long sword and why? You can also write where could I find it... ;)

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Silver Sword I quite like

3. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I thought the silver sword was two-handed?

4. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Long Sword +2 ‘Adjatha the Drinker’ - immune to Charm and Domination, each hit heals 1 Hit Point to the wielder. You can find it in the bridge district, to get somthing early on you may want the Blade of Roses, cheap as chips in the Promenade, do you have Throne of Bhall?

5. {OverLoad} Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yes i have ToB.I also thought of The Drinker and have it but what else is there? You can write longswords that ar in ToB to :)
    Guess it'll go to the ToB forum now :)

6. Scythe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Equaliser is ok but a lot of hard work... Bits found all over the place

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yes you are correct Carcaroth it is indeed 2 handed.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The thing I have found for long swords is that you don't carry around just one long sword. There are highly specialized swords that are ideal for different situations. For example, the dragon slayer is double damage against dragons, and Daystar is great against undead (except the demi-lich). The problem is that neither of these weapons is all that effective against other enemies. For general utility, I would have to say the best SoA long sword is the equalizer, but the best ToB longsword is The Answerer. One caveat though - if you aren't wearing an item that gives you enhanced strength, upgraded Angurvadal may be the better choice.

9. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Aldeth is correct, there is no ONE sword that works, the last game I had I was dual wielding long swords and had all (I think) of my slots used up, incliding my off hand... half the time you feel like your juggling knives at the circus, but once you get used to what works well against which enemy you'll have no problems what so ever. The weapon I would look for then is in the Keep :yot: Long Sword +4 ‘Angurvadal’ (raise Strength to 22 once a day for 60 seconds, +1 fire damage). This sword can later be upgraded with Liquid Mercury.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I never had much luck with the dragon slayer or daystar.

Angurvadel +5 (22 strength, immune to level drain), Adjatha (immune to charm and domination), and the Equalizer (immune to charm and confusion) were great to have in the off hand for the immunities -- I even used Angurvadel instead of Crom Faeyr. The Answerer could really tear down defenses of the bosses quickly -- each hit reduced magic resistance by 15% and raised AC by 2 -- it was definitely a primary attack hand weapon.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Blackrazor. Simple as that, true you dont get it until they very very end of SoA but it is one of the best weapons in the game and thus the best longsword.

12. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Look on the bright side: You get it before you get The Answerer. ;)

13. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Blackrazor is definitly a powerful sword. I like Adjatha the Drinker as well.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    For SoA, I'd have to say that the Daystar and the Answerer are among the best...but for ToB, the upgraded Angurvadal takes the cake! :thumb: :rolling:

15. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The Answerer is definitely the most powerful (-15% MR and 2 AC with each hit), Angurvadal is good as well (set strength to 22 and immune to level drain), but it's effect is nullified by the Giant's belt.

The other powerful longsword is Blackrazor, which has a lot of good properties, but is tricky to get, and is only +3.

16. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Flametounge is a pretty good weapon, and you can acquire it early - its probably the easiest-to-acquire +4 weapon.

I've often thought it was a shame that the Dragon Sword is only +2. Wouldn't it be cool to outfit a character with the Dragon Sword, Shield, and Helm?

17. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The thing is that using Angurvadal allows another character to use the belt.

I think I've got this right:
    Str Enhancing Items:
    Belt (Hill)
    Gauntlets of Ogre Strength
    Belt (Stone)
    Belt (Frost)
    Belt (Fire)
    Angurvadal

Or, if you make Crom Faeyr
    Belt (Hill)
    Belt (Frost)
    Belt (Fire)
    Crom Faeyr
    Angurvadal

So, using Angurvadal allows you to not only equip 5 of your characters with a strength enchancing item (have a mage use belt of Inertia), but it also allows you to have an extra person of super-strong strength. Not using it, you can have one with str 22 and one with str 25. using it, you can have two with str 22 and one with str 25.
    Clearly, Angurvadal is a great asset. It is my personal favorite long sword. Blackrazor is powerful, though it's not for good characters. An evil fighter wielding blackrazor in the main hand and Angurvadal in the off-hand would be one damage-dealing hero!
    For SoA, Daystar is my favorite long sword.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.