1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Arrival of a Gamer

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It is with great pride that I announce my son has officially become a gamer, less than a week after his 4th birthday. I fully believe you cannot become a gamer until a game pisses you off to the point that you curse and scream.

Jack's most recent obsession is the game Madagascar for the Wii. It plays exactly like MarioKart, except that instead of having Nintedo-themed characters, all the race participants or characters from the movie Madagascar. Jack likes to play as Marty (that's the zebra), while I prefer the Penguins (who race as a team) because they yell "Fire in the hole!" when then toss mangos at other racers.

Anyway, like most games of this type, to unlock new cars, characters, and races, you have to win races with the base characters and cars on the starting three race tracks. Sometimes we play together, but you can only unlock the new characters and cars in single player mode, so a lot of times Jack just goes solo.

He doesn't like to lose... I mean, he really doesn't like to lose. My wife was out of the house on Saturday, and so that afternoon turned inevitably into a Madagascar marathon gaming session. We were hell-bent on unlocking new characters. There's this one track Jack struggles with. After three unsuccessful attempts, I really thought on the 4th try he was going to win. Leading going around the last turn, and Alex hits the turbo right at the end, and passes him off just as they cross the finish line. Jack, racing as Marty, finishes second, by 0.1 seconds.

I have three words to describe Jack's reaction. PURE. UNADULTERATED. RAGE: Initially, he thought he won. I saw his face, in two seonds, change from happiness, to shock, to disbelief, to rage. DAMN IT!!!!!!! (Wii remote inside stearing wheel gizmo that comes with the game goes flying across the room.) He stands up, shaking with rage, fists clenched at his side, and leaves out this primal roar: "RRRRAARRRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!" I couldn't help but laugh, but I said to him, "Jack, you're now a gamer."

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's awesome! Gave me a chuckle too :)

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Funny! :lol:

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    :lol:

I expect to see Aldeth Jr. on the members list shortly. :)

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That's actually quite brilliant :lol:

Kev doesn't quite 'get' my Nerdrage when it occurs. I don't mind losing in a game but pure idiocy or design flaws? Fire in the hole :p Watch out for mangoes.

Been watching videos for Alice: Madness Returns, been good to feel nerdrage at someone else playing like an utter fool :D

7. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I rage at Super Meat Boy. I think that's the point of that particular game, though.

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Good stuff. My little brother (age 4) is shaping up to be quite a gamer too. He can actually play Mario Kart pretty decently on the DS - wins every time on 50cc. I'm encouraging him to try for 100cc, and he's actually having a pretty decent track record. Only problem is he tends to like playing Peach (since I do)*, and she's tricky since she relies solely on drifting to compensate for her poor speed. He does pretty well with Toad or Luigi though. He gets really upset when he loses - I'm trying to train him to be a more gracious loser, though, sometimes beating the crap out of him just to show him he can't always win. :p

He also enjoys watching me and my dad play various PS3 games and seems unperturbed by all kinds of violence, ranging from electrocutions in Infamous to bone-crunching in Arkham Asylum to people stabbing in Assassin's Creed II (we actually both prefer climbing churches in this game). On the other hand, cartoony monsters actually scares him, which is interesting.

Gaming is having a fairly positive effect, I think. He likes Little Big Planet, and he's showing more and more creativity in his building and problem-solving skills. Totally unrelated, but gaming is fantastic for revising history and geography - one game playing Venice in Medieval 2: Total War can save you hours of study as you think about who to ally with and which regions are important.

I wonder if it's related that he's been occasionally hitting me lately, claiming I'm a monster, but hell, I went through that phase too. Come to think of it, I still role-play, so I guess I'm still in that phase...

* I'm manly enough to play Peach and destroy you **
    ** Actually, I prefer playing Daisy, but you know

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I haven't shown Jack any really violent games yet. The worst he's seen is Diablo II, and frankly that's not that bad. (I mean, yeah, it's killing stuff, but the graphics of 10 years ago don't make it *that* graphic.)

The main issue with Jack is that he lacks the coordination to correctly play the more complex games. He likes Madagascar because you have a steering wheel and two buttons - accelerate and turbo (yes there's a brake as well, but with the 50cc carts, you don't have to brake ever). He has a batman game (not Arkham) for the Wii, but it requires you to execute actions with both the controller and the nunchuck, and that's just too much when you're 4. But he LOVES the Wii Sports and Wii Resort games - again, because the gameplay is much easier.

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So, a gamer padawan. He has achieved much in little time. And we all know that when the circle comes full, daddy loses.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    He already owns me in the Wii resort sword fighting game. I can win maybe once in 10 tries.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My seven year old son can destroy all comers at Mario Kart.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.