1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

That's gonna leave a mark

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by martaug, May 28, 2008.

1. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ok, just for general information most police tasers operate at 50,000 volts. Relatively safe, yet the commercial market has seen increasing greater voltages available.
    http://www.beststungun.com/blast-knuckles.html
    This small device fits on your hand & has 950,000 volts! There are others that are small enough to fit in a pack of cigarettes that have 1,000,000 or even more volts. The highest i have seen to date is another hand-held unit at 1,200,000 volts.
    I'm just wondering at what point does this go from non-lethal to pretty much guaranteed electrocution.

I have been tasered, it hurts, A LOT. Granted it is a temporary pain & passes pretty quickly but i just hate to think what a jolt 24 times stronger would do?

It just seems like overkill to me, i mean if i go squirrel hunting i use a .22 not a .50 BMG.
    so what are you thoughts?

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It is my understanding that voltage plays no role whatsoever in how likely you are to be electrocuted. It is possible to survive millions of volts of electricity. It is the current that kills you, and you only need a tiny amount of current to go through you to make it lethal. A single amp could kill you, while a million volts will not. The better question is if 50,000 volts are adequate to incapacitate someone, what is the purpose of delivering a million (or even more) volts? Does it incapacitate them longer?

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why the hell would you want one of those monstrous things? They should be illegal everywhere as far as I'm concerned.

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    From the web page:

For the same reasons some people feel the need to carry guns, I suppose.

I don't really see the point in carrying one of those, to be honest. It isn't something that you'd walk about wearing and if you were truly under threat, you probably would not have enough time to fish that out of a pocket and put it on. It isn't as if an attacker is likely to wait around until you are ready to be assaulted. I wish I could remember the link, but I do remember reading that the average person gains no self-defence benefit from carrying a weapon as they simply would not have enough time to recognise the danger, remember the weapon, get said weapon out and then use it properly. These seem to benefit peace of mind more than adding any real, physical advantage.

5. martaug Gems: 23/31

i just wonder if with the higher voltage( even at a small amperage) if someone with a genetic problem(say an undiagnosed heart problem) would it be more likely to effect them than a lower voltage?

decados, haven't you ever went jogging with the little hand weights? those blast knuckles look enough like those that a mugger/whatever probably wouldn't give it a second glance. now in that particular instance, place against genitals & push button:toofar:

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Can't say I have. Or even know anyone who does. On the occasions that I run with weights, the weights are always attached to my ankles. Why would you only go running with a weight on one hand? Surely that would look decidedly odd? 'Sides, that would only work when exercising- it would still look out-of-place in the rest of everyday life. Who wears weights to buy shopping?

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    It's a sad world when you reckon to need one of those to go running with in case you get mugged. Who's gonna rob a runner? He's obviously got nothing of value on him - the man's running! I don't often go running with my phone in my pocket of a load of 20 quid notes.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Many people go running with an iPod or a Diskman. There are those who would mug you for less. Here in Denmark a young man was knifed to death back in January because he wouldn't give his cap to a bunch of bullies. :(

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    So you carry a tazer with you just in case?

The world is going nuts.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The world may be nuts, but the perception amongst people like me (and I don't think I'm too far deviated from the norm*) is that if the society is not going to protect me by properly punishing criminals, then I will have to protect myself. I am not a fighter except when playing D&D, so some other method for self defense would not be seen as a bad thing by yours truly.

The idea that a person is somehow a bad person for wanting to defend himself and his hard won property baffles me.

*at least in regards to this matter!

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    That mindset is why firearms are still not banned in the US and shootings happen regular. There are too many nutters out there to let people carry stuff like this. It should be illegal. I've never felt threatened to the point where I'd feel I needed to carry a weapon (and I don't exactly live in an idyllic place). I find it bizarre that anyone would. Where do you live for Gods sake, in the middle of Lebanon? Just because nasty things sometimes happen doesn't make me feel the need to carry a stun gun around with me everywhere I go.

Your government need to make it very difficult for ANYONE to carry a weapon* and strongly punish those who manage to get thgeir hands on one. These things are weapons. Can you imagine some 16 year old little chav getting his hands on one of these and running round town with it? Hitting random people with it for a laugh? Incapaciting some old women whilst he rifles her stuff? Since these are perfectly legal to own in most US states, I'd say that not just plausible but quite likely. Besides, if someone wants to rob you I doubt one of these things will stop them, people usually go blagging people with mates, not on their own. In all likelihood, you'll never get the chance to use it.

The whole US mindset around guns and weapon ownership is completely alien to me, and seems so backwards. Either that or your police force needs SERIOUS investment if nobody trusts them at all.

* To clarify that word, by weapon I mean something specifically designed to hurt/incapacitate a fellow human, and has few, if any, other uses (certainly no innocent ones).

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd think the mindset of a Canadian would bear more on firearms and shootings in Canada :)

13. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @Barms: Don't worry, I don't carry anything more dangerous than a Swiss Army knife. :) But I stay out of risky areas at night.

14. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I myself don't own a taser, Barmy. I have a gun, a single action .22 rifle that I haven't shot in over 10 years. That said, . . .

The problem with the system here in Canada is that if a person (I'll name him Andy) commits a crime with a gun here in Canada, this is what happens (there's some exaggeration here but less than you might think):

Andy is arrested (with any luck) and he goes to court, where some slick lawyer (apologies to the lawyers here) tells the court a sad story of how Andy's parents didn't love him enough and he never even had an Oreo cookie before he was 15 years old, so of course he should get away with the rape, murder and mutilation of a woman he's never met before.

The court buys this story and gives Andy 2 months of house arrest.

When the police arrive to check and make sure Andy doesn't have a gun in the house, the aforementioned slick lawyer screams harassment and a charge is filed against the police that they are violating poor little Andy's civil rights.

In the mean time, some other do-gooder is attempting to take away BOB's gun, despite the fact that Bob has never met Andy, has few if any characteristics in common with Andy, and most importantly has never even had a ticket for littering, let alone any sort of violent offense.

Andy successfully gets his house arrest nullified because the police dared to follow the terms of the house arrest agreement. He's back on the street, smug and well armed.

Is it any wonder people want tasers or guns or ANYTHING AT ALL to protect themselves from Andy? How the hell does taking away BOB's gun do a bloody frigging thing to protect the population from ANDY?

The feeling I have is that the criminals are out there ready to brutalize decent people, and the government, in a stupid, misguided, pathetic effort to stop crime, is holding the arms of said decent people and making it EASIER for the criminals to engage in their crimes.

15. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

How can these "Andys" afford fancy slick lawyers? Don't these "Bobs" ever go berserk with their guns? Exactly how much is this example based on reality?

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    People don't just get 2 months house arrest for murder - they go to jail. So there rest of LKD's example is pretty much moot.

17. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

If the idea is to incapacitate someone quicker and easier, and it is Amperage, then I don't see a problem. There are many more lethal objects that someone being mugged could just as easily have on their person. Someone already mentioned the hand weights that Joggers sometimes carry. They could do more damage if used to strike...

What I do have a problem with is people looking at the minority and using that to take the guns away from the law abiding citizens. My father is a farmer, and has needed to use the gun to kill a predator or put down a suffering animal. I have no problem with that. He also hunts. Since I like Moose meat and Venison, I really wouldn't like to see his gun taken away because some dickhead uses an illegally acquired handgune to kill a store clerk in a robbery. Honestly, if the governemtn would put half the effort into law enforcement as it does into harrassing honest, law abiding citizens, we'd be a lot safer...

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To put it simply, people who want to carry weapons have small penises. ;)

Jokes aside, well it wasn't much of a joke but carrying weapons have less to do with real security than inspiring a sense of self confidence. Be it pepper spray, taser, knife or a gun. Every person I have known that have carried a gun have been incredibly insecure people jumping at their own shadow. This is a very very dead horse though and it is even off-topic here. As for the topic at hand; I have no idea at what voltage a taser turns dangerous if ever but it sure seems to hurt.

19. martaug Gems: 23/31

no drew it is because the department of justice correlates all of the stats from the various police depts & agencies that they get their stats from not my butt. please reinforce your argument dont insult your opponent, it just show you have no case:D

geez, how did i get so far off topic when i started the topic:confused:
    yea part of my problem with these is the new ones are so small that they don't look like anything dangerous more like a toy http://www.stungunsecurity.com/detail.asp?id=440
    3 & a half by 2 & a quarter inches & a simple push button control. so a nono for anyone with kids(as anyone with kids knows they can/will get into anything) can you imagine a little munchkin teething on this & pushing the button OUCH!

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  20. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

firstly a bit off-topic

a taser in a glove would be SO F'in badass i can't stop thinking about it SMACK 1 Million volts in your face!

on a different view of things

can't they be used for muggin people as well? i would give all my money to a guy with a FASER(Fist lASER) or even an ordinary one, just like i would if he was weilding a knife or something, or a gun for that matter

on the leagality of guns i think denmark has a fairly good overall view on it:
    (this is my faitly accurate assumption of how it works)
    Only hunting rifles are legal
    this also include 2 barelled shotguns(the ones that spread 50-100 smaller pellets or somehing)
    to own one you have to get a hunting permit(take some courses pass a test and such), and may only use for hunting(in designated areas and seasons) or skeet shooting

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.