1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tell me how I'm doing

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Brightblade, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Prologue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The half-elf walked through the courtyard. His name was Amis, and he was an archer of hardly any renown. Now this was not because of any lack of skill, but lack of exposure. He had lived his entire live in the library fortress of Candle Keep. He had grown up in the care and tutelage of Gorion, a mighty mage and wise sage. He had learned literacy at a young age, a very rare thing to be able to read and write on the sword coast it was at this time. He had then grown bored, not because he had nothing to do, but because he had no challenge or nothing NEW to do. Then a traveling ranger had been wounded by a pack of gibberlings and was brought to the keep to rest. During his long recovery, the forester had taught Amis, who had just seen the thaw of fourteen winters, the ways of the forest and the path of the ranger. Amis had embraced this eagerly, and had managed to get outside to the small grove outside the keep and practice his skills. He had developed an empathy for animals and the uncanny accuracy with the bow that made him one of the best shots with a bow in the keep. The ranger’s who taught him just a short while ago, passing on his bow and a dozen enchanted arrows. To add insult to the emotional injury of losing his tutor, he had just received word from his foster father that they must leave
    the only home he ever knew. They were to leave this very night for some unknown and mysterious reason. He handed Amis some gold, told him to get whatever equipment he needed and to say his good-byes, they may not be back. Amis found himself standing in front of the Candlekeep inn, the establishment served as the inn, tavern, and general store for the entire citadel, so as you can imagine had quite a choke hold on the commerce of Candlekeep. The door was of stout oaken construction, but it had much superficial scarring, it was probably the original door on the building. Opening the door, it was oiled recently Amis noted because it made not a sound, he stepped inside. The main room had three well used tables, one of which was occupied another which still had empty steel tankards, a fairly large fireplace; but dominating the entrance was a large counter of some undeniable wood. Behind this massive piece of furniture was a portly man, some might even hazard to call him fat, he was the innkeeper who went by the name of Winthrop.
    "Hello Amis, you do know that there is a five thousand gold piece fee for entering this room." Winthrop greeted Amis cheerfully

"You are always such a kidder, that gets funnier every time I hear it, well maybe not."

"I am glad to hear you are in good spirits today, what can I get you?"

"I am leaving the Keep, Gorion has told me we must leave in haste. I am here to get the supplies we will need, I think four days will hold us until we can get more. And I can hunt if worse comes to worse. I will also need about sixty new arrows, and a suit of studded leather armor."

"I am sorry to hear of your departure, but I will get what you need." He goes into one of the back rooms and gets the requested items, bundles them in a pair of backpacks and sets them on the floor at Amis’ feet. "Is there anything else I can get you good friend?"

"No Winthrop, may your trade be good to you, and may I se you again."

"Good travels, good hunting, and good wine. Anything else I forgot? Oh, Good cheese."

"Good cheese?"

"To go with the wine."

"Funny, goodbye"

And with that, Amis turned and left. He closed the much-abused door behind him and headed to the steps of the inner courtyard. The keep itself looked like a great donut. The outer portion consisting of all the subsidiary buildings that helped the keep operate. The outer walls made the pentagram shaped borders, with a tower armed with ballistie and catapults; they were about 10 feet thick while the inner walls were only two feet thick. The middle of the donut was the inner courtyard and the keep itself. The keep was a great library housing the accumulated knowledge of many generations of learning. The gardens were a lush paradise that was carefully maintained by the various groundkeepers. The five chanters that kept up the endless drone of Aluando’s prophecies were in the yard chanting as always.

"The lord of Murder shall perish!, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny! Chaos will be sown in their passage! So Sayath the wise Aluando!"

"In the year of the turrets, a great host will appear like a plague of locust"

Moving on through the yard he approached the great stone steps that led to the library, where Gorion waited, when he was intercepted by a quick purple figure. It was Imoen, one of your childhood companions. She was human like most of the people in Candlekeep.

"Heya! It’s me Imoen! I heard that you were leaving, and I couldn’t let you go without saying goodbye. So where are you going, sounds dangerous like… not that I read any letters or anything."

"Alright, I get the point, Ill ask if you can come with us."

"Are you crazy? Gorion would not ever let me come. Just have a good time."

Running swiftly Imoen turned and disappeared into lush foliage of the garden. Ascending the great granite steps. Amis was greeted by none other than Gorion.

"Are you ready to go?"

"I am, let us go."

When the pair reached the massive iron grate that served as the keep’s gate, Gorion stopped and prepared a spell.

"This spell will protect you against any sort of evil for a short time. Listen carefully, if we ever become separated, you must make your way to the friendly arm inn. There you will meet Kahlid and Jaheria, they have long been my friends and you can trust them."

Then he began his spell, strange mystic syllables rolling off his tongue in a language no one had understood for thousands of years. When the spell finished, he signaled to the plate-clad Keeper of the Portal to open the gate. The gate opened and Amis’ first adventure began.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 18, 2001).]

2. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

VERY GOOD INDEED!

Can't help but think have heard that story somewhere before though......

3. Brightblade Gems: 4/31

Chapter One

As the great citadel of Candle keep dwindled from sight, the night grew dark. The pair of travelers, Amis and Gorion, stepped carefully along the rock-strewn Way of the Lion that connected Candlekeep to the rest of the Sword coast. they had made good time and were confident that they could make it at least halfway to the Friendly Arm Inn by nightfall. It was almost sunset, and getting hard to see. The endless sea of swords lay behind them, it seeming to shift to green where it met the shore. they walked on, and then they walked on some more, and still they walked on, until finally the walked on even more. At last sunset lit the sky in red, gold, and purple fire. It cast a strange light on the ground and the trees, giving them a ghostly and sinister appearance. as Amis' step faltered, Gorion sensed his anxiety and slowed to a halt, Amis did likewise.
    "We must hurry Child, the night can only get worse, we must find shelter soon. Wait, we are in an ambush, prepare yourself."

"You are very perceptive for an old man. hand over your ward and you will not be hurt." Said a dark figure that stepped out of the densely packed forest.

Following him were three others, two ogres and a woman clad in plate. As he approached, Amis could make out that the figure was at least seven feet tall and was covered in dark armor with spikes jutting out of it at every angle. Then the two monstrous ogres moved in front of what was apparently their master, blocking Amis' view. But the only thing on Amis' mind at that moment was why the dark man would want him, and not gold or possibly magic.

"I would be a fool to trust your benevolence!" was Gorion's reply

"You will not live to regret that decision!"

The ogres charged at the old mage, but did not make it three steps before they were dead on the ground. Magical bolts of pure energy poured out of Gorion's fingertips, glowing crimson gold in the setting sun. The missiles tore through the shabby armor of the giant kin and punched great bloody holes that were surly fatal. A few of the last bolts went through their now, at least partially, hollow assailants to strike at the armored master. He shrugged off the impacts as if they were just small flying insects striking his armor. Gorion ceased this method of assault and threw some different spells that were too advanced for Amis to even identify. These seemed to have some no effect until the mage opened up again with the magic missiles, which now seemed to hurt the behemoth. out of nowhere, an arrow tipped with flame struch Amis in the shoulder. He was lucky because the arrow just glanced off one of the metal studs in his armor, deflecting away the deadly bolt. Instead if a immobilized shoulder, he only got a very nastry burn.
    "Run child! save yourself!" gorion yelled. At that moment, Amis was too consumed by the overwhelming pain that filled his vison with bright light, that he just ran.
    -------------------------------------------
    I was just wondering if anyone could tell me that Taluntain edited?

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 19, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Brightblade (edited November 20, 2001).]

4. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Good. Keep up the good work!

5. Brightblade Gems: 4/31

He ran until exaustion took him. The dark trees looking like hedious and deformed monstors. By the time he collapsed, the night had completle overtaken any sembelance of light. Not even bright Selune shone through the smothering clouds. When he did awake however,the bright sun (please tell me what the FR name for the sun god/godess is) shone, as if in defiance of last night. At first, Amis thought thatlast night was but a dream, until he noticed he was sleeping on hard ground and not a straw filled mattress. Shaking the cobwebs from beind his eyes, he stood grogely (sp?), and took measure of his situation. He had lost his pack in the fighting so was without his food, he found that e had droped his bow somewhere, and most telling was that he was alone. [where am I? he thought, and where is Gorion?] Then, a rustel in the bushes near him rowsed (sp?) him from his revery (sp?).

"Who goes there? State your intentions!"

"My intention is to help you" was a familar woice's reply

"Imoen? What are you doing here? How did oyu know which way we were going?"

"Well, lets see. There is one path leading away from Candlekeep. It wasnt hars to find you."

"I can see that, now, what are you doing here!"

"I figured you could need some help, considering the danger of the mission like 'E' said."

"What are you talking about?"

"ummmm nothing"

[This message has been edited by Brightblade (edited November 22, 2001).]

6. zaknafein Guest

your doing wicked. heh maybe if i call my story that maybe more people will reply:idea:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.