1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Telemarketing

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by ejsmith, Mar 14, 2003.

1. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Sweet

I am totally for this one. If this one comes across my desk, you can just be prepared or whatever it is you do, that it would get passed. And there'd be some notes, written in red ink, in the margin too.

Stuff like "YEAH! Suck it!"

And "Can you FEEL that, hunh?! Hunh?!!"

Sweet.

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm not sure I understand your post, but I'm all for the end of those annoying idiots.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I'll second that. Its just a pity that our government hasn't put into place a similar system. Somehow I don't think that Chretien would have the guts to pass a similar law.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

"I'm not sure I understand your post, but I'm all for the end of those annoying idiots"

Either you don't own your own home. Or you've never gotten a call that you've had to answer.

Also, the last bit of stuff is a male thing. It's called "Domination".

Dominate the telemarketers.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Death to telemarketers! Bush actualy did something right :p ;)

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    It can't be his idea.

Besides, those people are just doing their jobs!

Anyways, they're still annoying as fraking' hell.

(What am I supposed to do with these goons?)

7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Funny thing about telemarketers -- I was brought up to be very polite (the Canadian trademark) and I would never dream of hanging up on a friend or family member. The TMs, they take advantage of this ingrained behaviour, they just don't take no for an answer sometimes. Now, as Arabwel said, in between bouts of fighting off horny elves, these people are just doing their jobs, and work is hard to come by -- I'd rather have a telemarketer call than be accosted by some bum. So, I very politely and firmly say, "No, thank you, I am not interested. Have a nice day" and then I hang up. I feel no need to have a long, drawn out argument as to WHY I'm not interested, I owe these people nothing more than the common courtesy of not being abusive. My time at home is sacred to me, and I won't waste it on salesmen I did not invite to speak to me.

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I... I must admit. I've worked two months as a ... a ... telemarketer. There. I said it. I'll be off in my corner crying myself to sleep now. :sosad:

*hangs head in shame*

;)

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Depaara and Faragon:

I know. I used to know a girl that worked as a telemarketer. I don't blame the people working the phones; it's a job, I know.

I blame all of society and our economic structure for allowing it to be a job. This job should not even be profitable; that way, it's never even an issue. I'd rather the management be so scared for their lives, that they throw the guy out of the 44th floor window for even suggesting it during a conference.

I'll jump up a down, pounding bricks and spitting fire. But when it comes down to it, I know who to blame and who not to. If I went postal, I'd tell everyone in the call room to leave. It's the upper floors I'd go after...

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I realize that telemarketers are just trying to do their job, and I always try to be polite, but I have found lately that the telemarketers have started being insulting when politely told no.

One of them actually had the nerve to call me "stupid" because I did not want to take advantage of her low interest credit card balance transfer deal. Now being disturbed by junk phone calls is annoying but being disturbed and then insulted is really going too far.

I would definitely support a law banning telemarketing. Of course that would probably just increase the number of those annoying door to door sales people but seeing as how I am almost never home during daylight hours that wouldn't really be a problem for me. :D

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

The joy of my technique is that I never give them a chance to talk to me -- I am polite and then hang up.

However, I have a guilty confession to make -- I was not always so nice. I used to answer with a very subdued "Hi" when the call display informed me it was a telemarketer. They'd ask if Mr. Depaara was home. I'd say, in a voice close to breaking into tears "no, Daddy's not here. Neither is Mommy!" and they'd ask more questions, and I'd answer in the persona of a really freaky 6 year old, usually with things like "I don't know, they just left!" or "I'm not supposed to say." It wasted their time (waste mine, I waste yours) and annoyed them no end. It was fun, but I had to be careful not to say anything that would make them think there was a child in danger and call the police. I eventually decided it was a waste of my time, and sort of cruel, so I switched to my "no thank you", click! routine. It works.

12. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I don't mind being called, as long as the telemarketer is polite, and respects my wishes. If I say "No, I don't have time" I expect them to accept that and say "Okay, have a nice day then" instead of "But sir, it'll only take 5 minutes. Oh, you still don't have the time? How about I call you back tomorrow?" :bang:

I've always made my calls with that in mind. I've always respected the "client's" wishes, and wished people a happy day when closing off a call. Respecting people over the phone is very important, especially if they let you know they don't appreciate your calling.

13. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I try to have fun with them when they call. Once someone called about windows, I told them we don't have windows in our house. I've told them that I work in the same office they do and they've dialed the phone three desks over. I tell them to turn around and they can see me waving at them. Repeating everything they say is pretty fun too.
    Telemarketer: Hi, can you take five minutes to answer some questions about your drinking water?
    Me: Hi, can you take five minutes to answer some questions about your drinking water?
    Tell them to hang on a second and put the phone down next to your snoring dog!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.