1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Technologicaly Dependant?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by iLLusioN', Oct 17, 2006.

1. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Do you guys think that the US military, or hell just people in general are too technologically dependant?

The part that I'm most curious about is the military, as I have several family members in the military(us) is way too technologically dependant, but they are all still currently in and aren't supposed to question it at this point in time, at least not with any non-military people.

Personally, I think we are, but I can't seem to find much on the topic to back me up...anyone else?

2. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Technological advancement was always funded and in fact supported in every way by military entities throughout the world and throughout all eras.
    So yes the armies were always technological depented in order to keep the advantage.

Truth is also that in our world where the technological boom is still going, everyone is depented on technology to do almost anything.

Imagine that there would be no electricity for one day. I guess then you can see the level of dependance we have achieved

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Technology has become our enviroment. We have become accustomed to it and have adapted to it, or adapted it to us, probably both. Like any situation where you take the enviroment away from something or something away from the enviroment there will be hardship till they can re-adapt.

The military rely on technology because every other military has technology. So in a sense they don't 'rely' on technology because it's just a factor of what being a military organisation is all about. Take away a military's technology and you still have a military, albeit a very weakend one. A military can only be compared when facing another military, the side with greater technology will have an advantage (all other factors remaining equal). But as for the US military, they depend on technology AND their training whereas the Chinese military would probably rely on technology (although not as much as the US) and the numbers they could draft into the army on short notice (compared to the US).

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq. What has the US military done well, and what has it done poorly--and why?

If you want, y'know, evidence and numbers and statistics, well, start by googling the DDx, Raptor, Joint Strike Fighter, Osprey, and Anti-Ballistic Missile programs. Consider how much money is poured into them. Consider their effectiveness.

Then google things like arabic translators in the army. Consider how much money is spent on that sort of area. Consider the effectiveness, as seen in ongoing operations.

www.defensetech.org is a nice place to start for, ah, rather scathing analysis of defense spending.

In particular, check out the Future Combat System and DDx (experimental destroyer) programs. Truly inspires confidence in our leadership.

[ October 17, 2006, 09:19: Message edited by: AMaster ]

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Why exactly is being dependant on technology a bad thing?

Though I might agree on the military thing in some regards. A lot of the technology (i.e. missiles) are too indiscriminate to be used in built up areas - in such cases I think old fashioned storming of buildings and such would be a better idea.

6. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

@ Aikanaro

I'm along the same lines, how many people have died because they relied too much on 100% technology recieved intelligence, instead of a little bit of intelligent thinking and common sense. It seems like the modern military keeps using hi-tech solutions, which end up killin alot of innocents, than just sending the few ground troops in that would do the job right the first time.

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Or, as we see currently, spending literally hundreds of billions on pie-in-the-sky programs such as the FCS and ABM system while neglected, y'know, the ongoing war.

8. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What about Ronnies 'Star Wars' program? Is that still going?

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Nah, but you can call the anti-ballistic missile programs "son of Star Wars' if you want, and won't be too far off.

10. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

We are vulnerable about technology. If electricity goes out we will be like a kitten on the street under rain. I don't see anything wrong in that because unless some great natural disaster happens we shall always have electricity and our technological devices.

This wouldn't affect some of our villagers though, there were a few villages without electricity ten years ago in my country and our people are experts at solving their problems without using technology. :D

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's a nightmare when power goes out. It's amazing what you just can't do easily without it.

And it doesn't take a great natural disaster for that to happen. A couple of years ago, the whole of the Auckland central business district was without power for over a week. It was chaos.

12. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Technology tends to foster dependance, why plow the field by hand when you have horses, and why use horses when you can use a tractor and plow easier and quicker, why not use a really big tractor that can plow twenty feet accross in one pull. It builds on itself, and the more we use it, the more we are dependant. In my climate in the winter, I am so dependant on electrcity to heat my home that I have a generator in case the power goes out as it sometimes does when too much ice or snow builds up and takes out poles and lines.

Is this a bad thing? I don't think so. Its not like we are going to forget how to use electricity, if it breaks we know how to fix it.

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I would say that the topic of this thread shows very clearly that many, many people are - or should be! - dependent on the technological assistance of a SPELLCHECKER.

14. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

We've been technologically dependent since we evolved into humans.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.