1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Technical problem getting to load and save screens

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Winterine, May 19, 2004.

1. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I need some help here. Yesterday when I tried to get into Baldur's Gate SoA and load up my saved game, it suddenly crashed and sent me back to my desktop with a popup saying soemthing like:

An Assertion failed at InfScreenLoad.cpp at line 1428.

And that was it. I tried again, and the same happened. Basically, I can use ToB with no problems at all loading or saving. I can start a new SoA game with no problem, but can't go to the proper save screen to save cos I get something like:

An Assertion failed at InfScreenSave.cpp at line 1590.

I can't quickload or quicksave in SoA. ToB works perfectly, and I can import and export my old saved SoA files in ToB and in a new SoA game. I have Tortured Souls installed, as well as the most recent (as far as I know) versions of NPCFlirt, Solaufein, Banterpack, ItemUpgrade... and I can't think of anything else. The only other thing I can think of that was different from last night and the night before when I used it (and it worked fine) is that Britannica was installed yesterday. That shouldn't be a problem, but I unintalled that anyway.

Can anyone help me? Please don't tell me my system is just screwed, or I have to just unintall the game and reintall everything all over... been there and hate that! :(

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Is TS WeiDU now? Otherwise, it's not compatible with all the other mods you have.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Well then, I won't tell you it but it is the only choice.

4. Winterine Gems: 6/31

TS isn't a WeiDU mod, as far as I knew, but I didn't have problems for about a month since installing the mod... I installed it before the WeiDU mods like everyone says to as well.

Thanks anyway, Taluntain and Ras :)

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31

It honestly sounds like a corrupted file and not a mod problem to me.

If that's the case then a reinstall may be the best way. Is this in WinXP?

6. Winterine Gems: 6/31

Ah, I think it's Windows2000 actually.

What corrupts files anyway? :/ Or how does a file get corrupted?

7. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yeah this happened to me whenever I walked past the spider lair. Only a reinstall would fix. On Win2K also. No idea what causes it, but there you are.

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31

I have not had this problem on WinXP Pro yet, and it's basically the same OS.

9. Winterine Gems: 6/31

*phew!* Glad I'm not the only one with this problem! I've also noticed abonormal program terminations... with the popup message stating that it's an abnormal program termination, or just it crashing without warning :(

Stupid buggy computer...

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31

If you're on Win2000, I can guarantee that it's not a problem with a buggy computer.

If you completely purge the game from your system and reinstall then it should work fine.

11. Winterine Gems: 6/31

I did a complete uninstall, saving my portraits and games folders elsewhere, and reinstalled just SoA to start with, and copied over my portraits and saved games, and I still had the same load/save screen problems, so I figured it was a problem with my saved game files *sob* So I had to delete them. To be safe I reintalled everything except my portraits folder *again* and SoA worked fine. THen I added ToB, then the official patch, then Tortured Souls, then some WeiDU mods (Sola, Item Upgrade, Banterpack, Flirtpack) and it was fine... kinda. Except sometimes it still gives me an abnormal program termination :(

Mebbe I should stop running so many programs in the background, but I don't see why that would cause such a problem. I have heaps of memory avaiable... but I'm not too good with this stuff, and I doubt that's the only problem.

12. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Try running it without Tortured Souls.

Programs in the background can cause a problem, depending on what they are.

13. Winterine Gems: 6/31

Background programs usually just Word... mebbe Photoshop as well. Nothing too exciting.

I actually wanted to try out TS since I keep seeing it everywhere, so if that's causing problems I might try with just that and not any other mod :(

Thanks for helping though :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.