1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tech question on install game errors?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Orkrist the Cleaver, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I have had an incredible time with Bethesda as far as getting Echelon to work. First I sent the disc back because it wouldn't completely install and got a new one (It took almost 8 weeks). Now, with a fresh CD, I'm having the same problem. It says during install that it could not unpack a game file, and names the file. What causes this? I've never had this problem with any other game, what gives?

2. The game probably installed some dll file or something that you haven't deleted and now it's messing everything up. Probably nothing wrong with the cd the first time you installed it.

So you just need to find that file and delete it...(if that's the problem)

I had the same problem with microsoft combat flight simulator. The first installation was interupted, then I tried again and I got almost that excact same message. After alot of painful hours I found the file that was doing it, deleted it, installed the game again and it worked.

3. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

i think dragonslayer21 has it right. i could not think of any other possible problem, aside from a glitch in your system, but thats too vague to help, so do what dragonslayer21 says.

4. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] So, should I search for a file with the name of the unpackable file? Also, if an install is interrupted, do the files successfully installed remain installed, or is it a total wash out?

5. You could try searching for all files that were changed at the date that you tried to install it the first time, if you remember it. If that doesn't work try finding the file it names.

I'm not sure if the files physically stays installed, maybe like fragments like when your computer locks up in the middle of a game or a program. Maybe defrag will help, I don't know.

[This message has been edited by DragonSlayer21 (edited August 09, 2001).]

6. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Well, I've already defragged since the first install, but the same thing happened on the 1st install anyway (does that matter?) Anyway, I checked for the particular file and there are none, there are no files from this game, not even for the manufacturer (Bethesda). I'll check again based on what others have said. Any ideas other than using "Find files..."?

I looked for dll files and found tons, but none of them seem to have anything to do with this game. It has been so frustrating. I really wanted to check this game out, and when I bought it it wouldn't work, so I dealt with the company and that took forever (real mediocre customer support, Interplay's rocks BTW if anyone has ever dealt with them. Wonder why their stock dropped?!)Anyway, I finally get the replacement and I'm all excited and I'm installing and its the same crap! It sucks. I want to fly around! How can I find this file or narrow my search? What exactly did you do "21"?

[This message has been edited by Orkrist the Cleaver (edited August 09, 2001).]

7. It was probably one part luck and one part experience....

I tried searching for any files that looked like the file the installer named in the error message at the day I had installed the game and after a few hours I found the right one and deleted it, problem solved.

This might not be the problem with your game, but the situation sounds alot like mine.

8. Athalon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

you got seriously problems there bro... lol

9. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I spoke with Bethesda again and now they are sneding me a CD with the uncompressed game files on it. The response was that my operating system in conjunction with the installer was unable to decompress one of them preventing installation. I also tried to reconfigure Windows and remove the tray but that didn't work either. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.