1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tanner's Letter, name

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Marvin^42, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Marvin^42 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I know the secret power of Power Word: Reload, so I found the real name of Fael. But I don't know which name I'm supposed to use to solve his riddle in the letter, and it would be fun to try and solve it myself. Can anyone help me out here? :)

Edit: I tried to reverse the riddle, starting with
    D A R C I N C O L E and I got
    E L C I N D with four blanks, and no more clues, since the riddle was made to find darcin cole, and it doesn't use all the letters in the first name. What's the full name here, and who's that? (it's been several weeks since I actually chased the skinner outta town, so I don't remember the persons)

2. Luiz Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Vellin Dahn

**** Spoilers: SOLUTION below ****

1. Our names are the same in their scale and their cut.
    2. The last of his begins just as the first of mine.
    3. The second of my first is the second of his first, though regressed a full four steps.
    4. The third of my first is four more than the last of his first.
    5. The entire last of my first is the last of his first, except the first one of these is the first of my last.
    6. The first of his last is mine plus one.
    7. The next of my last is the last of his first plus one.
    8. The last of my last are third and second, coming in first for him.

1. Darcin Cole = Vellin Dahn

2. D=D

3. E-4=A

4. N+4=R

5. lin=cin, because C starts Cole (see 6)

6. D-1=C

7. N+1=O

8. el=le

Cheers,
    Luiz.

[ July 26, 2007, 09:11: Message edited by: Luiz ]

3. Marvin^42 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Thanks for the original name.
    Anyone know the answer here? Who is Vellin Dahn and what's his role in this?

4. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

He's the wizard in the tanner's basement. He says stuff like "the work must go on" before teleporting away.

5. Luiz Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Yeah, that's right, and I *think* his name is retained in your Journal somewhere (perhaps under the original Solve-the-Murders quest entry?) so you can figure out the name riddle. Don't have a savegame handy to check though, sorry.

Cheers,
    Luiz.

6. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Funny how a google-search actually led me here. They should fix it in BG2:EE, as his name is nowhere to be found in the journal, making it nigh impossible to be solved by 'new' players (unless they are some sort of detail freak or just reload 'till they get it right, which a lot of people do apparently).

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Or they play like me and are constantly saving the game with a new slot at every bit of story progression because I still remember games where you get screwed over mid or late game if you missed some small, easily missed, but important object that didn't have much of a clue that you needed it back near the beginning of the game, sometimes making the game unwinable and forcing you to start over, or otherwise making it ten times harder than it would be if you had the mcguffin.

Thus I can reload to just before entering the tanner's place to confront him, find the name, write it down on paper, then reload the game at the point where I needed the info.

I call it using the WABAC machine.

8. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

You can hit the Spoiler button to use the Spoiler function like this:
    1. Our names are the same in their scale and their cut.
    2. The last of his begins just as the first of mine.
    3. The second of my first is the second of his first, though regressed a full four steps.
    4. The third of my first is four more than the last of his first.
    5. The entire last of my first is the last of his first, except the first one of these is the first of my last.
    6. The first of his last is mine plus one.
    7. The next of my last is the last of his first plus one.
    8. The last of my last are third and second, coming in first for him.

1. Darcin Cole = Vellin Dahn

2. D=D

3. E-4=A

4. N+4=R

5. lin=cin, because C starts Cole (see 6)

6. D-1=C

7. N+1=O

8. el=le
    This makes for a much neater solution.
    If you did not get the answer you might get lucky with using Near Infinity.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.