1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Taluntain : PoR XP cap

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Vile, Nov 30, 2000.

1. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I just read up some more info about PoR and it said that although it will take quite a while, they are going to allow you to go up to level 32. Just though you might want to check that out in your spare time and see if it's correct info or not. 32 is pretty damn high. It doesn't seem likely, but it is possible. Just FYI.

2. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

32 is still up in the air but more than likely it'll stay as it is in currently. So yes, 32 is official and it'll take forever to hit. It's intended for those that will be playing the multiplayer game with the randomized dungeons and such that makes the MP game different than the SP game.

3. Vile Gems: 8/31

Well, thanks for the re-enforced info. I think that's pretty cool. I wish I knew more about the actual gameplay though. I know about the random maps and the making your own maps/levels, but as far as the turned-based system goes, I am still waiting to see how combat is. I play the P&P D&D so I know how turn-based goes, but it will be interesting to see PoR's way of showing it. Not to mention, the graphics look phemoninal.

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yup. This looks to be a very good game, but I don't know how "good" it will be. Random dungeons I suppose are a good idea, but it's sounding too much like a Diablo clone using 3rd Edition Rules.

Character development will use Feats and Skills which means your character, if he's a Barbarian let's say for example, may be totally different than another guys Barbarian based on what Feats and Skills they distribute during game play.

Hopefully the use of your enviornment won't just be pushing chairs, tables or bashing down doors but more along the lines of picking up a glass vase, throwing it and watching it break. If you have no weapons, being able to throw wood pieces or rocks at the enemy to at least cause some type of damage.

The fact it's back in Myth Drannor is a little dull. I wish they'd only cover the realms once in any D&D game and always do a new area. It keeps things interesting.

I've already been to Myth Drannor in Curse of the Azure Bonds. I don't want to go back really. I hope one day, if it's not BioWare or Interplay, we see Calimport or Waterdeep laid out in an adventure.

Syl...

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well Waterdeep's been done before...

Heh, seems I came in too late. You already got all the info. :)

6. Vile Gems: 8/31

It's all right, Taluntain. Anyway, isn't PoR supposed to have an intricate storyline. I know it also has the "make your own level" aspect, but I'm hoping that's just an extra. Elminster is supposed to be in there, so I'm hoping he will be a reoccuring character and make the story interesting since you can get to such a high level. In any case, we'll see for ourselves.

7. Boon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I wonder how they are going to handle characters who pass level 20 in a particular class as 3 edition rules for such character are not out yet? Oh can someone help me with a pen and paper question, my familiar has died if I raise him will I get the lost experiance back?

8. Vile Gems: 8/31

Unfortunately, no.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh yeah. Elminster is all over PoR2...
    Actually he's the one that recruits you in the beginning and tells the council about the awakening of the pool...
    Download the PoR trailers and see him for yourself. ;)

You can get them from www.sorcerers.net/Games/PoR2/index_misc.php

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 02, 2000).]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  10. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31

Boon: The lvl 32 deal is for multiclass only. Meaning if you are just a fighter you will only get as high as lvl 16. Multi to a sorcerer though and you can get ftr 16 / sorcerer 16. or Multi ftr / rogue / sorcerer (i.e. bard) and you can onle do 11/11/10 (total 32). Make sense?

Also vile, there is no level editing or making your own levels like there will be for Unlimited Adventures II (or Neverwinter Nights as other people prefer to call it). Unless I read wrong what you were saying.

Sylvus: Unfortunately, I don't think the environment will be much more than you said (pushin tables, smashing chairs) but it will make the game harder as a simple key needed to open a door can be hidden in one of those interactive object (such as under a mattress, in a bookshelf, etc) and the only way to find that key is to search for it. Also, I take it you never played Pools of Darkness cause that would've put you twice in Myth Drannor ;) Actually, I think this 'return' to Myth Drannor will be a much better experience than the previous two since they can now model it in great detail to match how it's portrayed in the campaign set and everything else that covers MD.

Waterdeep would be ok, but it would end up being just a very large city with a very large sewer system unless they downsize the city to include areas outside the city but then it wouldn't be waterdeep.

11. Vile Gems: 8/31

I could have sworn that they had an editor in PoR as well as NWN. Oh well.

If I'm correct, wasn't Eye of the Beholder in Waterdeep? I never played it, but I've seen it before.

12. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'm not sure about the EOB Series for I never played them too much. I dipped my sword into EOB 1, but I only got to about level 8 or so before getting stuck. Those mazes simply got me so frustrated and I couldn't be bothered mapping them out on my own.

As for POR2, multiplayer will have random dungeons but as for building ones own, I don't think that will be possible.

Syl...

13. Nazgul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sylvus is correct, You will not be able to make your own dungeons.

14. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Even though I loved the first PoR, the big question in my mind is why buy PoR2? What will PoR2 have that NWN won't? I'm not trying to by negative but would someone please educate me. I guess I would pick PoR2 up down the road just for old time sake but I think I'd rather play NWN. It just look like it will have more features and a better design. What is your opinion?

15. Fihnakis Gems: 1/31

As much as I hate to say it (hey, I run a website committed to the game if that gives any indication on how much I hate to say this), PoR2 doesn't have much on NWN other than it's a great game (speak from playing experience) and if you are a fan of D&D it shouldn't be something passed up by any means. It will be a game that if you are not a PnP player of the 3E rules, it would get you into the feel of playing the new rules before NWNs release. It will be a better singleplayer game experience though as you can have more than one person under your control in your group whereas NWN, last I heard, was only one person other than NPCs that you have no control over.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.