1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tale of Installing the Sword Coast - Help!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by shadow, Aug 31, 2000.

1. shadow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] HELP!!

The hard disk space requirement for ToTSC is stated to be 600 MB, but after installation, the game itself took up 750-odd MB (without the movie clips) - I've had to continually shift files on my original hard disk during the installation itself!
    Well, maybe it meant that the add-on itself takes up 600 MB (to take up a massive 1.2 gig space on my ancient computer), but I doubt it. To make things worse, I can't even start up the game now that I've only 20++ MB left in my hard disk ("...not enough memory in hard disk..."). Any suggestions?

PS I'm thinking of playing some modules in turn (Ulgoth's Beard and Durlag's Tower first, then later Werewolf Island etc), deleting and re-installing each time (can I keep my characters in between?). But this seems way too tedious; what do you'll say?

2. Wingfoot Guest

before you uninstall anything, make sure you backup your character files. even though they should still be there when you unistall BG, its a good idea to backup.

do you have any other programs you can remove that you dont use that often. if so remove them to make room for ToTSC. you dont have to do the full install, you can still play areas that are not installed, but your performance will decrease. i palyed BG briefly with the recomened install, but i had to keep putting CD's in and the game ran pretty slow.

3. shadow Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Do you mean to say that I can play the areas (like Ulgoth's Beard / Werewolf Island) that I did not select for installation?
    Btw, I also had to continually swap CDs while playing BG, and it was damn irritating. Do you have a better way of installing the game (apart from opting for the recommanded installation, which doesn't really help)?

PS I usually back-up my character save-games, just as a matter of principle. :)

4. Wingfoot Guest

you should be able to play the areas in ToTSC if you do the recommended install. i installed all the areas though so i am not sure.

when you install BG, you can choose to do a full install, which takes up quite a bit of space, but i think it is worth it. i felt the same way about swapping disc constantly. the full install should improve game performance as well.

5. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

A full intall of TotSC just means that the disc doesn't need to be accessed for the ares you've installed

6. shadow Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Phewww, that's a relief!
    Thanks for the help: Wingfoot, Vermillion :)!

7. Here's my experience:
    I did a minimum install of BG because I figured I would spend most of my time in the new areas. I also did a minimum install of TOSC, just to see what the difference would be (and because I was low on space).
    I didn't have any problems in the new or old areas. I experienced no slowdown or performance hits beyond the occasional stutter. I have a Celeron P2 366 with 160mb or RAM.

8. shadow Gems: 1/31

I've successfully installed it!! This time round, I only selected the Ulgoth's Beard module, and the whole installed game took up only 515+ MB. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.