1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Systems and mechanics

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Oaz, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I was just curious, given the current volume of threads (more posts/day than the AoDA, it seems). I don't really read through these games, but is there some kind of system of rules people here use to play, or is it all words, so to speak?

Again, just curious.

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There are rules. Read the threads at the top and the first post in the appropriate OoC threads give rules for that particular RP.

This isn't dnd and with the various time zones and personal schedules posting can be a little irratic.

I am not sure what you mean by "all words". Is there dice? Only if the individual posting uses them.

I try to play off what others have posted. Sometimes people set up a scenario via PM. The OoC thread is very important.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Some use systems, some don't. But even those that use systems typically only use them for the characters. You'll see full character sheets in many character threads, but then we don't roll dice ever again. (I did a few private rolls for encounters in SS, but that was a one-time thing.) You may even notice that some threads use more than one system, as I've seen 2e characters mixed in with 3e (or vice versa) in more than one RP.

But if you do want to start up a system-heavy RP, you're more than free to do so. I may even join in if it's 2e. ;)

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31

So... if you don't end up making rolls for combat this and magic that, why make up ability scores/character sheets? The importance and authority of mechanics, if/when there are any, is what confuses me.

5. Felinoid

For some (me, anyway), it helps to define the characters. You can give them anything you want, and even go back and edit your character to give them other things. But when you work inside a system, you can't give them just anything you want to; there are rules.

For example, during the course of Rashemen, Delphinae gained an enchanted dragon claw. Now, at 8th level she couldn't use daggers, being rather focused in on her bow and the different ways she could use it. At the same time it was determined that we should all level up. So shortly after gaining the claw (~1 post ;) ), she took off to finish off a cult, and gained proficiency with the claw in using it against that cult, as part of her level up (warriors get a weapon proficiency every three levels).

Now, she still can't wield it as well as she can her bow at level 9, so she's still an archer, and if she's a choice come melee time she'll still unstring it and charge in wielding it as a staff. But now she has another option, and one that she can actually use to a decent degree, if not expertly.

But without the system, I might've been inclined to just give her full use of the claw as well as or better than her bow, which would have changed her radically. That's my crutch, in defining my characters by their limitations: they have to actually have limitations for me to be able to play them that way. And the way I go about it is through a system.

Eh, I suppose this has gotten too much into why I use a system, rather than generic. But I guess I really can't speak for the others.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would make a character sheet as a way of describing a character in terms that people here can all understand. If I say a character has 16 dexterity and 8 strength then you will all know what that sort of character might be like. I wouldn't take 1 away from any hit rolls for that character or anything like that, but we'd all just know he was a bit rubbish at hitting people in combat.

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Felinoid and Harbourboy have given excellent reasons for a character sheet. We are role playing here; whether it is Rashemen, S6, BH, or pirates, etc.

I refer to the CS's frequently. Otherwise I am lost as to who is what and does what.

We do have one strict rule:

Do not manipulate another person's character without permission.

Once in a while a DM may have to do some manipulation to move things along but even he or she should tread lightly.

If anyone ever had Nakia do anything out and out evil that person would hear from me emphatically. There would be a post in the OoC thread to ignore the manipulation.

Without a CS I would have to post in the RP thread what my character looks like, is wearing, and all sorts of information so other players would know how to react to her.
    A CS keeps all the necessary information in one easily accessible place.

As to some specific engine/system that is up to the originator of the thread. Rashemen is loosely BG therefore loosely 2ed rules. Each RP is unique.

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Interesting, although I don't think Felinoid and Harbourboy (through no fault of their own) have scratched my itch. I have been thinking more along the lines of how you resolve a task.

For example, Bob the halfling is running from orcs. How do you determine whether he succeeds/fails (and by what degrees he succeeds/fails?) Task resolution a la 2E/3E, or just arbitrarily decide using the character sheet as a reference. If the latter, why rely on 2E/3E at all?

9. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Generally more arbitrary. The standard orc from the MM is going to catch the standard halfling from the MM more often then not. That would be the going point. Now if we've got a halfling barbarian with high con, light armor and the run feat, it's probably going to be a different.

Technically a halfling in heavy armor and a con score of 3 could be made to out run a orc barbarian with 18 con in light armor with the run feat, however he might receive some puzzled or frustrated remarks from other RPers.

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I've never liked having character sheets in this sort of RP - I feel it destracts from the point, but that's just my opinion. 'Free form' RP, where no rules are followed for gameplace, combat, etc, I feel should be more about the story. I should be able to decide whether or not my character has had training in her childhood with a claw or not, to enable the story to come through properly.

11. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

That's the realization I've been coming to, but traditions and rules seem to die hard for me. Order amidst the chaos, control over the unknown actions of others.

12. Nakia

Media:
    Hokay Oaz, that is a different question from 'why use a character sheet'. I don't know if I can answer it to your satisfaction but I will try using Rashemen as my basis.

Rashemen has been successful. We are on our 3rd RP thread and just started our 2nd OoC thread.

When Rotku was unable to DM Scot stepped in and did an outstanding job. He set up interesting scenarios and kept things moving.

Now in normal pnp a group gets together and the DM has control over what is happening. Rolls dice, says you succeeded, failed or whatever. In this type of RP that can't be done. We are not all on at the same time with the DM able to say "your turn, Felinoid." Sometimes several players are on at the same time and we had to add a rule to cut down on multiple posts so that everyone had a chance to post. Harbourboy lives in New Zealand and I live in New Jersey, USA. A wee bit of a time difference.

Now as to how we handle our characters? We play fair. Benan is a shining example of this. His character died once and was defeated another time. Nakia (that's me) doesn't use magic except the natural talents/resistances of the halfling. Sure she is a high level thief and carries speed potion but in a one-on-one fight with your orc she's dust. However I have a rule that Nakia can't die (unless some one can bring her back to life). That is mainly because I'd have to get a new name and Avatar. :) Besides I'm very attached to her.

Another reason Rashemen works is we PM each other and get together in the chat room.

I have seen a lot of RP's fall by the way side because people try to get uber or don't stop to think how their post affects other players.

Rashemen is a team effort and I love it. And in my opinion that is what this type of RP should be.

Rule #2: Play fair. Keep your character in character. Don't decide to change your character in mid-stream. If you are bored with your current character get rid of that one and introduce a new one -with the permission of the other players of course.

Maybe this doesn't answer your question as to how to handle specific feats. Nakia running from your Orcs would use a speed potion and hope that her team mates help her out.

This is not a solo adventure; that would belong in Creativity Surge. So we depend on each other to help us out in a tight spot just like a real group of adventurers would.

I don't know what else to say because if what you are looking for is a dnd RP this isn't the place. The rules have to be a little different and the RP depends on the integrity of the players and their ability to interact with one another. I find it fun and challenging.

13. Felinoid

Training...with a dragon claw... :skeptic: Yeah, I get what you mean, but you can still decide that even with the character sheets. It only requires you to think in advance, and not just do retcons all the time.

As for the rest, it is about the story. Any rules that don't fit into the story (constant dice rolls being the biggest example) typically get forgotten. But ignoring the rules completely can lead to problems; playing fair is much easier when there are set rules to play by.
    I think it could work, but only with the DM doing all the rolls, or something like that, and a LOT of OoC. That it could work, however, doesn't mean it wouldn't be a whole lot better off happening in the chatroom or somewhere like that.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think of it just being like a bunch of people getting together to write a story. In theory, I like it if I really don't know what is going to happen next, because I can't foresee another character's reaction. But it really requires people to be on more or less the same sort of wavelength. Powergaming kills that, of course. Which is why my characters tend to go too far the other way, pretty much having more weaknesses than strengths.

15. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Absolutely true. You've got to have trust in the other players that they won't be... stupid. I just look at the few Pirate RPs that I've kept track of (or been in), and they have all gone great without character sheets. I think HB hit it spot on - "...it really requires people to be on more or less the same sort of wavelength. Powergaming kills that, of course."

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I am personally strongly opposed to using formal rules in play by post games - I'm yet to come across a system that complements rather than detracts from the format. System Does Matter, after all :p

I'd rather run the risk of idiots making a few stupid posts (before being nicely asked to leave, mayhap - there's still a social contract even if there isn't mechanics) than have a clunky system - especially one that reinforces behaviour in a game that isn't really what the game is trying to do (for example - D&D, as well as being totally unsuited to the PBP format - reinforces the killing of monsters. I'm not interested in that so I wouldn't use that system).

Using character sheets when there's no mechanics isn't useful, IMO, and is a rather ugly way of presenting information on the character.

However, the most important social contract rule you'll probably come across is what Nakia said:
    'Do not manipulate another person's character without permission.'

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I roll dice for every one of my RP characters. Rolling dice, for me, is a birthing processing to give life to the character in my head.

I follow any rules set out by the RP DM. Some come right out and say, "This is 2e, DnD, 1990 rules." Some just give a general idea: "Like Baldur's Gate, 'kay?"

Depends on the person playing Bob. Does s/he have a plot concerning Bob's capture and (hopeful) rescue by the rest of the party? Does s/he want to show off how stupid orcs are; how fast halfings can be?

There are dice-rolling programs where combat can be resolved, if you want to be adherant to dice rolling.

Rule sets give more of a general outline of what characters the DM wants anyone posting to his/her RP. Felinoid is a good example. In his Underdark RP, I completely brain farted that elves can't be necromancers. He was nice enough to allow it with the condition my character meets the requirements of a necromancer. If we could all play god-like characters, where would the fun be? ;)

18. Oaz Gems: 29/31

I get the general response regarding my original questions, although at this point it seems that (most of) the RP's here amount to collaborative storytelling fragmented into posts (i.e. everything is from Bob's perspective, then from Joe's, then to Hank's, etc.).

19. Harbourboy

Correct. I would say that our RPs do effectively amount to collaborative storytelling.

20. Nakia

Media:
    I agree with Harbourboy. The definitive word is 'collaborative'. RP's fail when someone stops collaborating and essentially starts soloing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.