1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Swiss German/US Keyboard Layout

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Faraaz, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm going to be buying an Asus G1S laptop here in Switzerland which comes with a Swiss German keyboard layout (swapped Z & Y keys as well as completely changed symbols layout). Also the Vista Home Premium that the laptop comes with is going to be in German...

My questions for you gurus!!

1) Is there any way of changing the keyboard layout from CH/DE to US? How does one do this in Vista?? Pointers to any tutorials which describe this would be much appreciated so I can read up on this before I actually get my new laptop. :)

2) How do I change the operating system language from German to English in Vista?? I speak a bit of German, but no where near as good as I would need to be to understand all those long german words...

3) I realise that although I may be able to change the layout from QWERTZ to QWERTY, the keyboard will still have the old layout keys printed on the buttons. Is there anything like a plastic overlay or stickers that I can buy and use on the laptop keyboard to sort of guide me regarding symbols and stuff?

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

1) There'd have to be an option somewhere to do it...having said that I'm not sure exactly where...but if not you could simply use a macro program to remap the keys, using autohotkey it would just be a matter of adding "z::y" and "y::z" to the script.

2) vista tutorial, granted the words will all be in German, but the symbols should get you by, if not just borrow a dictionary or use someone else's net to figure out what the equivalent English/German words are.

3) with most standard keyboard you can pop the keys and switch them around with a pair of scissors (this was a great prank back in high school it classes), however with ergonomic keyboards and some lap tops, the orientation/angulation of the keys may result in it looking out of place. I guess just have a look at it, and if not....you do know how to touch-type right!?.

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Yeah...I can touch type, no problem...its just that I have a lot of trouble with the symbols and dead keys on the Swiss German keyboard...and although you'd think it was easy, its right hard to guess where some of the more esoteric symbols are...

Ah well, thanks for your help!

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I found this link and this link at windowshelp.microsoft.com that should give you the information you need. :)

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    On the taskbar in vista you can change the setting to US. Is it not possible to order a english one??? Strange, but you would have tried. Even so, are you not going to use a loose keyboard for more ergonomic typing/gaming?

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You can surely change layouts all you want in the software, but you don't really want to buy stickers with different characters to put on your new keyboard. ;) In my experience, the best option with foreign layouts is to close your eyes and type ahead after changing the software layout to a familiar one.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Merlanni: Nope...I get to choose between the Swiss German or Swiss French layouts...big whoop.

And these laptops come premanufactured and packaged, so the retailers just ship them out, they don't do anything else to the laptops. Ah well...I think I may have just found the solution to my troubles...

EXcaliberPC.com! These guys ship to Switzerland! Woo hoo!! :banana:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.