1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SW: KoToR (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Series' started by Enagonios, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] wow. this has got to be one of the best games i've ever played. the "revelation" part was awesome. it was like watching the end of the usual suspects and finding out who kaiser soze was. imo the only part that wasn't handled too well was the end of the Bastila romance. I mean, Yoda's grandpa gives a speech and that's it? I thought there was going to be some dialogue afterwards, but still, this game was awesome. can't wait 'til i get the sequel.

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

You could have just killed her, screw the romance part, and give her a traitor's death. :D

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

i intend to do that in my next game :p

some questions:

why is there no feat for using double-bladed weapons/lightsabers?

when you fill up your light/dark side gauge and that shiny rain thing shows up on your avatar: does it actually do anything? or is it just to show that you've reached the end of the gauge?

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

But there is..it's the first one on the list if i recall correctly. The first one is for single handed melee weapons, the second for doublehanded, the third for both. That's the first feat i always upgrade, since my character always uses two lightsabres.

I wouldn't know anything about your other question, some solutions require a lightside approach, other a darkside, so i never completely filled the gauge.

5. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

First of all, one feat takes care of dual-wielding and using a double-bladed lightsaber. I can't imagine a Guardian not using this, but I always play Consulars and so I never bother.

When you fill your light side or dark side meter--which is really, really easy to do--you get an attribute bonus based on your class. It will show up on the same place on your character screen where stat-modifiers go, like valor and speed boost.

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I always seem to take Duelling when I'm a Consular, which is great as well. Of course, my evil characters ALWAYS use double-bladed lightsabers and nothing says evil like a PC trying to act like Darth Maul.

I'm 100% certain that the light/dark side mastery bonus also benefits you in other ways. Your corresponding force powers seem to become more potent. Might be a bug, but that's what I've observed.

For example, when you've been eeeeevil and have dark side mastery, Death Field is more potent; instead of taking the highest amount from one, it takes ALL the life damage that power inflicts and restores it to you. Kind of like when that jerk Bandon uses it on you when you've whupped his little friends and mob him with three lightsaber-wielding Jedi.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

i'm not sure what you mean by this... so two-weapon fighting serves to upgrade using a double-bladed lightsaber?

8. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

That is correct, Engaonios. Using a double-bladed lightsaber applies penalties to the off-hand attack just as if you were using paired lightsabers. Two-weapon fighting reduces this penalty. You can verify this on the equipment screen by comparing the to-hit bonuses on your left and right hands.

Edit: I just realized that my words were inaccurate. You receive penalties to both main- hand and off-hand attacks when you dual wield or use a double-bladed lightsaber.

[ January 07, 2005, 21:52: Message edited by: Eric Xanthus ]

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

oh, thanks. i just checked it myself :)

10. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You really receive a stat bonus in the first kotor for going light or dark? Also with my guardians.... I usually give them a slightly high dex and give them dueling mastery. that compared with Burst of Speed makes them really deadly because they're hard to hit. Now I think more people would go with dueling if.... it gave you +1 to hit, +1 to Defense... AND +1 to damage.... so you end up with +3 hit/+3 Defense/+3 Damage....
    anyway there seemed to be a bug with doublesided sabers.... they didn't give you any penalty to hit.. so if you got the two-weapon fighting feats you actaully were receiving _bonuses_ to hit....

11. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

1. Yes, you receive a stat bonus. As a lightside consular (the class I always play), the bonus is +3 charisma. Build a consular right and Malak never resists any of your force powers. Weeeee, look at the spinning dark lord!

2. Like you I prefer to play high-dex characters, although I don't play guardians. Not only does your defense go up, but you don't miss people like Malak.

3. I believe that the bug with double-sided lightsabers was for XBOX. The PC version has been fixed.

12. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

You got stat bonuses in KOTOR 1.... is that for just the PC or also the X-Box? I played through the game 3 times (Light duelist/dark two-weapon Guardian and Dark Sentinel) and don't remember getting any stat bonuses.

13. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

I don't have an XBOX, but as far as I know the stat boosts are a standard part of the game. Go look around at GameFaqs--most of their material on KOTOR is made by XBOX players. I'd be surprised if it was a PC-only feature.

14. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The stat bonus shows up when you max out lightside or darkside (get the "halo" effect on the character screen).

15. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Yeah, that already got explained in this thread, Sparhawk. Viper seems to think he did that but didn't get the bonus while playing on XBOX. I think he's just mis-remembering, but I suppose it could be an XBOX glitch/flaw.

16. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

I just looked all over gamefaqs and I can't find a single instance where you get a stat bonus for Kotor 1 on the X-Box for maxing out lightside or darkside.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

i just maxed out on my new Darkside Soldier-Consular. As far as I can tell, the only bonus is a crummy +1 to dex. Has anybody played this particular character before? If so, is this the only stat bonus?

@Eric Xanthus

out of curiousity, what Wis and Dex does your consular have? Because I'm playing a battle-oriented consular with:

Str: 16
    Dex: 18
    Con: 10
    Int: 8
    Wis: 15
    Cha: 12

and more often than not, KATH HOUNDS are able to resist my force whirlwinds :(

btw, I'm around level 10 or 11 right now, I just left Dantooine.

[ January 13, 2005, 15:48: Message edited by: Enagonios ]

18. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Let me give you my consular philosophy: if your enemies are all paralyzed, it doesn't matter how much strength you have. Rather than milking a few points of extra damage out of him, you want to maximize his force-effectiveness. Working backwards from my current stats, I think I started like this:

Str: 8 (I've done 10, it doesn't really matter--those extra points go to intelligence)
    Dex: 12
    Con: 8
    Int: 14
    Wis: 16
    Cha: 16

My adjusted stats at lvl 18 (so 1 more attr point to place):

Str: 8/13
    Dex: 22/27
    Con: 8/13
    Int: 14/19
    Wis: 25/30
    Cha: 20/25

The second number (after the slash) indicates the effects of Master Valor, which I use against Malak or other big battles.

Three things. Once I have the last armor in the game, my wisdom will be 28/33. I haven't decided if I want to put my last point in dexterity or charisma yet--I can't remember if I have the final dexterity implant, so that will affect my decision (I think I have the +4). And my dexterity comes from equipment and a level 3 implant.

This is my idea of the perfect scout-consular, meaning exactly how I want to build one. When I flurry someone, in a whirlwind or not, I always hit them with every swing. Once in a while, they survive, but they are paralyzed and can't do anything about it.

Kath hounds could resist my powers once in a while, but once I left Dantooine, I don't think I ever got hit again. I have known the great joy of watching Sith students (and their teachers) flying in every which direction across their training hall.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

a couple of questions. If you get banned from Manaan, do you still get to do the Genoharadan quests? Also, when I played a lightside guardian, Darth Bandon attacked me in the Krayt Dragon cave, he didn't this time. Does Bandon attack in that particular place or does he just find you after a certain amount of time?

20. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Bandon attacks you after you retrieve the second star map. It doesn't count on what planet you are.

I also noticed a bug. If you kill Bastila at the end she still appeares when Yoda's grandpa(or whatever) gives that ending speech.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.