1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Supreme Court Stikes Down (most of) Arizona Immigration Law

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    And I would fully expect that this ruling would also affect other states with similar laws. The reason why this one specifically concerned Arizona was because they were the first state to pass the legislation, although others followed suit thereafter.

Here's the article.

And here's a PDF of the ruling, complete with dissenting opinion.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think the bigger news is that part of the law was upheld. Law enforcement can ask for proof of residency or legal immigrant status and turn over potential illegal immigrants to the federal authorities -- that's huge.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    But even that wasn't fully upheld. The SC ruled that it was NOT OK for police to arrest someone who they suspected of being an illegal if they failed to produce valid ID, unless they had already committed an arrestable offense. This is contained on the PDF on pages 23-28.

They give two examples. In the first example, if the person was stopped by police for jaywalking and could not produce an ID, it would not be reasonable for police to ascertain his immigration status as that would greatly add to the detention of the suspect. On the other hand, if the person was stopped by police for driving while under the influence of alcohol, he would be detained regardless. And in that case, it would be perfectly acceptable to check his immigration status as the police would be making an actual arrest.

Basically it boils down to whether the person being stopped by police is suspected of committing an arrestable offense. and to that end, whether making an immigration inquiry would prolong the detention of that person. If he's being arrested anyway, checking immigration won't prolong the detention. If it's not an arrestable offense, then checking with immigration will certainly prolong the detention and is not allowed.

The other thing that the SC struck down was the part that allowed officers to make an arrest, without a warrant, anyone who failed to produce an ID. Again, the only way that can happen is if they were committing some other arrestable offense. But in this case, the Arizona law is largely superfluous, as anyone who is being arrested and therefore detained, MUST produce a valid ID before they would be released anyway.

So, IMO, it's not huge.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No they didn't. The Court said there may be valid constitutional concerns, but as written section 2(B) is not pre-empted. Alito even said in his opinion that local and state officers already have the right to detain people for suspected federal crimes and didn't see why immigration violations under 8 USC section 1325 woud be any different; and that the Office of Legal Counsel does not contend otherwise. As long as the Fourth Admendment standards are upheld there should be no problem.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It wasn't preempted because the SC said it needs to be better defined by lower courts what that section means and how it will be applied. They said there were two means of interpreting that section, one of which would be OK, one of which would not be OK. Did I read the same opinion as you?

Page 26 is interpretation 1 which isn't OK:

And that's when they said they need clarification from the state courts as to how it would be applied. They also say that the law isn't clear on a couple of other things: whether or not the check has to be performed while the person is still in custody (which could potentially result in prolonged detention), or after the release of that person. Moreover, it isn't specific enough to say whether or not the check should take place every time someone is arrested, or only a subset therein. But they make clear how they expect the lower courts to interpret this part of the law when they say:

But the SC threw the provisions to 2(B) back to the state courts to decide - it just didn't preempt it outright because of lack of specificity in the law to begin with, and the need to see how it would be interpreted and applied once it goes into effect:

Now, perhaps you interpret that part differently than me, but I read it as, it's OK for now, but since we haven't see how it will work in practice, it would be nice to see how the state courts are going to interpret and apply this law, and it's possible that after it goes into effect, it may need to be looked at again. So they aren't going to preempt that part of the law on the basis that it might be applied inappropriately. That is not to say that it could not be preempted at a later time if it in fact is not used properly.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Exactly.

And this starting from page 7 of Alito's opinion:
    And this from page 10 of Scalia's opinion:
    So, the question of what enforcement of 2(B) might conflict with the Constitution is not settled in the entire Court's mind, so one cannot say how future challenges to 2(B) enforcement will be seen. As long as Fourth Amendment requirements are met, illegal immigrants can be arrested if the local or state officers have probable cause according to Alito and Scalia.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, I think the "according to Alito and Scalia" is pretty important, seeing as how they were not among the 5 justices in the majority opinion. (Considering Kagan had recused herself from the case, I was actually pretty surprised that they were able to come to a decision. I had expected a 4-4 split, but Roberts was with the majority.)

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Oh, yes I agree. I'm just pointing out that it's not clear-cut. :)

I found Scalia's opinion very interesting and how as a non-lawyer I would have interpreted things. :)

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Someone was telling me that Obama has instructed the department of immigration to stop taking calls from the Arizona law enforcement even if they are calling about a person suspected of a felony.

10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Eh, people were telling me 3 years ago Obama was planning to have gun owners deported to camps... Yes, I mean it. Is there a reason you'd find that someone trustworthy, LKD?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.