1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Superbugs invade the US!!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Sep 14, 2010.

1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Ok, I first heard of this about a week or so ago, in India. It worried me immediately, but now it's come to the US, Canada, and Europe (though only in small numbers at the moment).

So far, all cases have been in people who went to India for medical treatment, but the threat of a bacteria resistant to almost all antibiotics, including those used to treat already resistant bacteria, has been a fear of doctors for years, and for good reason. This one is even worse, though. The gene that convers the resistance is easily transferrable between bacteria species, and so far all three cases in the US have involved different diseases with the same resistant gene. This means that the gene could spread to already existing diseases.

So far, no one in the US or Canada has died from any of these diseases, but there have only been 5 cases between the two nations and no word yet on how they were treated. There are a few antibiotics that they aren't resistant to, but these are typically never used (likely why the bacteria aren't resistant to them) because they run serious risks to the patient as well, such as liver or kidney damage.

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I remember going to the doctors with conjunctivitis when I was a kid. My mother was adivesed to use warm salt water to bathe my eye and not let anyone else in the family use the same towel as me. However, a few months ago I went to the doctors again with the same problem and was immediately given antibiotics. Thing is, over the years I have been prescribed antibiotics for everything from insect bites to sinusitis and have started to notice as alarming decrease in their effectiveness.
    Unfortunately, we are now so reliant on the damn things that if we stopped using them we'd be dead in a decade! However, these superbugs are limiting the use of AB's so maybe it's giving us a chance to re-gain a proper immunity to the simple things. It could all be evolution in full view

Then again, maybe it's not. I dunno, I'm drunk

3. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hey Sil, you shouldn't be posting when you're drunk... you might get banned. Oooh wait... NOG is not Obama, you're safe. :grin:

Seriously, the thought that the NDM-1 could boost the resistances of disease causing bacterias against most antibiotics is scary.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are a lot of antibiotic resistant bugs out there -- and they've been around for a while (even in the US). Does anyone remember the "flesh eating virus" (which is really a bacteria)? One of the big problems with the bacteria is it resistant to the most common antibiotics used to treat similar bacteria.

There are a lot of infections resistant, staf infections, e.coli, strep (some forms), salmonella -- I'm really not worried about a superbug.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IMO, this is just another scare tactic to make sure people take the necessary steps to protect themselves, but as long as they do so, there really isn't anything to worry about. Remember the so-called flu pandemic we were suposed to have last year? It was about as disastrous as the Y2K bug.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

At this rate we're going to have people washing their hands in pure hydrochloric acid "to prevent the spread of disease"! What's that old saying about the cure being worse than the disease?

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is a serious issue, we really need to stop using antibiotics unless it is absolutely nescessary. I have even heard people saying they eat anti-biotics when they have a cold or the flue and I am no doctor but I was under the impression that both the cold and the flue are causes by virus against which anti-biotics do nothing.

8. mordea Banned

Answer this: How many strains of bacteria have developed resistance to an antibiotic in the last twenty years?

Now answer this: How many new antibiotics have been developed in the last twenty years?

It's a no-brainer, really. If micro-organisms develop resistance to antibiotics at a rate faster than we can develop antibiotics which can overcome that resistance, we're losing out.

Misuse and overuse of antibiotics has led to the very real problem of 'superbugs'. It's not a scare tactic to point this out, it's just stating the facts.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 0 seconds later... ----------

Yes, the vast majority of colds and flus are viral.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.