1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Superbowl

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Feb 6, 2012.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Sorry, Snook (well, not really, but, you know, trying to make it OK). :p

I actually thought that was a reasonably well played game between two closely matched teams. I thought New England got away with about two timely interference plays that weren't called, but I thought the Giants got away with a couple of chop blocks and that 12 men play at the end. As a defense in that situation, I would gladly trade five yards for eight seconds.

Plus, there was the added bonus of the Giants giving NE their last two losses, Brady not winning again, and the almost certainty that Bill Simmons' head exploded and they are picking his brain off the ceiling.

All plusses!

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... and poor Gisele [insert whiny, screechy voice here] "My husband can't ... throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time!"

Of course he could have thrown the ball leading his receivers. And he could have actually gotten outside the tackles before throwing the ball away as well. Three or four dropped passed and three or four off target throws is easily the difference in a close game.

I doubt she even knows the rules to the game. Gisele's version of the rules:

"My manly, hunky man stands tall while the villanous dee-fence tries to kill him. He fires with his god-like rocket launcher of an arm to willing recipients who will, as proper, obediently sacrifice their inferior bodies to ensure my beloved's hard work is not wasted. My valiant prince secures the end zone through his brilliance and prowess, and the fans properly cheer his greatness. Then the other guys do something or another and then bow down to another surge of greatness from my stalworth warrior. This goes on for a day or so and then I get my man back in my castle."

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Rich Eisen said the same thing. He even said it could be considered sound strategy. Granted, you can't end the game on a defensive penalty, so you would have to play at least one play with 11 guys, but seeing as how the penalty is simply "too many men on the field" - not "5 yards per guy you're over", just throw out 15 guys if you feel like it - it's only 5 yards either way and you don't get the time back on the clock.

A bit picky, but if I were to criticize any officiating call in the game, it was the intentional grounding in the end zone. No, there wasn't a player near the ball, but you could say he thought the receiver was going to run a post route instead of an in route. I've never seen intentional grounding called when the ball goes 50 yards down field.

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's taken me 28 years to figure out that a superbowl is about the American version of football and has nothing to do with bowling!

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I had the same argument with my father-in-law. That rule has always rubbed me the wrong way. It's a completely lopsided rule and not officiated consistently. The game is such a bang-bang type of game now, with the atheletes in such uber-shape that any poorly run route or mis-commuication of a hot-read can result in a flag. It's a stupid rule that doesn't fit today's game. Should be removed.

As for the game, I just wanted to see a well played, close game. I think we got that.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I had a super bowl of cereal this morning. Golden Grahams, mmmmm!

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was hoping that the team who finished the game with the most points would win. I wasn't disappointed.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I still have a smile on my face.

I watched with a delay in the morning while brunching. The demise of the oh so pretty and perfect pesky Patriots is a fact. It is the only NFL team that I dislike.

(ps a healty Rotlisberger....)

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That's what T2 was referring to above . . .

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I know. But there's been a fair bit of backlash for her remarks over the past couple of days, including that link.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm still in healing mode and therefore unwilling to discuss the game.

However, I will comment on the Gisele issue. It is complete ********. Everyone is trying to paint her as if she is public enemy number one in New England. That couldn't be further from the truth. What she said was exactly what everyone in New England was also thinking. Brady didn't have a spectactular game, but he didn't suck eggs either. There were passes that should have been caught and weren't and they cost the game. Should she have said it the way she did? Probably not, but in an emotionally charged moment when someone is trying to heckle her, the ******* is lucky she didn't arrange to have him killed instead. To me (a diehard Pats fan) this is just Pats haters piling on and trying to cause trouble.

Now I go back into my cave and wait for the draft in April

13. dmc

Media:
    I'm actually surprised you were able to post in this thread this quickly TGS!

I agree that most fans were probably thinking was Giselle said, but there's a difference between fans thinking it and bandying it about after the loss and the wife of the team's leader (player that is, obviously not the coach) coming out and saying it.

I thought there were a couple of moments that were crucial, the biggest being the Welker drop. On that one: Yes, he should have caught it, he catches that pass plenty of times. BUT - Brady didn't make it easy for him, as he turned him around at full speed when, IMO, he didn't have to do that. I heard the blather about avoiding the safety on the play etc., but I watched that replay several times, and it seemed to me that Brady had plenty of room to hit him in stride on the side he was looking.

Plus, I thought the pick to Gronk was a combo of a terrible throw by Brady and Gronk being way less than 100%.

The Hernandez drop on the last drive was inexcusable, but I don't think it was a game changer. He wasn't picking up many more yards, he was in the middle of the field, time was ticking . . .

I just think Brady had a subpar game and, despite that, he could have been saved if Welker makes that catch.

Add that to the fact that Eli somehow stepped up again at the right moment, and there you go.

(TGS - I assume you have read the Simmons piece by now -- seems fairly accurate to me.)

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Do people up in Boston really refer to Giselle as Yoko?

15. dmc

Media:
    End of the Simmons post-SB piece that I love:

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Only agitators

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.