1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Suggestions for a solo human berserker

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Trydan, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I would like to play ToB (and possibly SoA too) with a solo character based on the Magic: the Gathering card Dakkon Blackblade (not to be confused with the Dakkon mod that also exists!).

I think the best thing for this character would be a sword-wielding, human berserker. The question is, though: which sword (or even sword type)?

I'd like to know whether anyone has any recommendations for whether to put my skill-points into longsword + sword&shied style, or alternatively 1.5h sword + sword&shied style, or possibly even 2h sword + 2h weapon style. Which would you recommend?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for any particular weapon I should try to find and use. The "blackrazor" looks pretty good, but are there any better ones that would suit this character concept?

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, I've played Magic the Gathering, so I know what you're talking about. To answer some of your questions in no particular order:

If you are playing SoA and ToB, you are probably better off going with longswords over bastard swords (which you refer to as 1.5 hand sword) as there are many more choices of longswords than bastard swords (especially in the first part of the game) in SoA. In ToB, there are very powerful longswords and bastard swords, so the difference is no big deal.

Regardless of which you chose, I would definitely recommend either longsword and sword and shield style or bastard sword and sword and shield style over two handed sword and two handed style. As a solo character, you are going to want to get the extra protection (both in terms of armor class and special abilities) that a shield will give you. Plus, the picture on the card is of a guy with a sword and shield so if you're trying to play HIM, then it makes sense to use a sword and a shield. Of course, you can't deny the fact that the weapon he is carrying could also be a scimitar, which adds a whole other list of options.

Lastly, Blackrazor is a very good weapon (longsword class), but keep in mind it isn't available until the end of SoA (meaning you have to play SoA and get to the end to legitamately acquire it). Also, because it occurs late in SoA, you need to use something else until that point. Which will probably mean alternating between different weapons, depending on who you fight. I'd use the Blade of the Roses for most enemies, but pull out creature-specific weapon types as needed (i.e. use Daystar against undead, and the Dragon longsword - don't remember the name - against Dragons). One more very important thing to bring up is that your character will not be able to use Blackrazor unless (s)he is evil, but again, given the character you're making that shouldn't be a problem either.

Think that covers most of what you asked.

3. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think the sowrd the guy's holding is a bastard sword, but I think Blackrazor would be great for him (which is a longsword).

I don't really have any advice for soloing and don't really know anything about Magic the Gathering, but I was wondering: why a berserker? Looking at the picture, that's not what I was thinking. I'm thinking more along the lines of anti-paladin (from a mod) or maybe just vanilla fighter.

4. Trydan Gems: 5/31

The reason for giving the 2H option was in case there were compelling "game" reasons for taking such a sword. The sword in the picture on the Magic card certainly could be either a 2H or 1.5H (the grip is very long). As he is not wielding the sword as such (it is just slung over his shoulder), then it is difficult to say what he'd do with the shield. However, I agree with Aldeth: a 1.5H sword sounds best and if there are some worthwhile 1.5H swords in ToB (for some reason I thought not), then I'll probably go with that.

Menion Leah, however, asked "Why beserker?". Hmm... good question. I think the "flavour text" on the Magic card just somehow seemed to suggest it - the idea of uncontrolled power, and such like.

I'm not sure what the "anit-paladin" mods are like, but I would envisage the character as more arcane, than divine, should there be any casting. And I'd be inclined to think that the character is not just a plain fighter either (which to me, always suggests orderly training). However, this has made me take a step back and consider it afresh. Maybe another class would be more suitable? What about barbarian? Or perhaps Berserker/Mage dual class?

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From the Tactics mod readme (bold added):

If you install this component you will have a new fighter kit available for all races: the Anti-Paladin. This is mostly for fun, and for people who want to play evil. This variant is basically an Anti-Inquisitor. Kit description:

ANTI-PALADIN: The Anti-Paladin has dedicated his life to finding and eliminating practicioners of good magic and defeating the forces of light, and his dark god has provided him with special abilities toward that end. Anti-Paladins take a special joy in inflicting pain and suffering.

Advantages:
    - May use 'Dispel Magic' ability once per day per 4 levels (starts at
    1st level with one use): ability is used at speed factor 1 and acts at
    twice his actual level.
    - May cast 'True Sight' once per day per 4 levels (starts at 1st level with one use)
    - Immune to Hold and Charm spells
    - 'Dispel Magic' on every melee hit

Disadvantages:
    - May not use standard paladin weapons like Holy Avengers
    - May not Turn Undead
    - May not cast Clerical spells
    - Must be Evil

You may dual-class a human anti-paladin (but you need exceptional scores to do so).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds not too bad. I look at the picture and descriptin for Dakkon Blackblade, and I think half-orc, although human would work too. And I see either an anti-paladin or barbarian. I don't see someone who would have the desire or patience to dual-class.

6. Trydan Gems: 5/31

I played around with character creation last night, and decided against Barbarian. The problem is that this class can't wear plate-mail armour.

So, at this point, it looks like I'll stick with Human berserker. I'll also take proficiency in hand-and-a-half swords, and the sword-and-shield style. (Yes, you've convinced me to drop the two-handed option.) I'll put the spare proficiencies into longsword, in case a the start of the game, there are better longswords before I can get my hands on items like Foebane.

7. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Honestly if you want to wield long swords or bastard swords and you are a full class fighter. Why not dual wield your favourite long and bastard sword? There are some killer swords of both sizes in ToB for example the Angurvadal +5 long sword and Foebane the bastard sword. Being a single class fighter you should be able to get to grand mastery in both and 3 proficiencies with points left over. These left over points could then go into sword and shield style if you really had your heart set on it. The small bonus against missile weapons is pretty much worthless as a fighter (especially wearing plate or full plate), its more for clerics who need they're spells to go off uninteruppted and for dual/multi classed mages for the same reason

8. Trydan Gems: 5/31

I agree that dual-wielding would be good, but it wouldn't match the character concept I have in mind (see the link in the original post within this thread).

My question was really along the lines of "given this character concept, what would be the best way to play him solo, and what equipment should I aim for".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.