1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Subway (restaurant) - too hard?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Arkite, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I was buying a sub for lunch, there was an older guy in front of me, I got the sense it was his first time buying a sub, so I stood well back so as not to make him feel rushed and the woman preparing my sub seemed to slow down too. However the guy who owns the place (around 50ish) and was serving the older guy, I've seen get impatient before, and he was in fine form today, the older guy's sub was getting away from him and he asked "can I get some meat on it?" to which the owner replied curtly "I asked you earlier if you wanted meat", the older guy then, clearly frustrated, said "it's too hard" and walked out.

The owner looked at the back of the older guy as he walked away with a blank stare, looked at the woman preparing my sandwich next to him, looked at me, "he said it's too hard" I told him "Oh..." said the owner, looking mystified. "It can be intimidating if you haven't done this before" I added. "I suppose so... with all the choices..." the owner said.

I know that first and foremost I witnessed some less than stellar customer service, but it got me thinking, last time I went to subway with my old man he just asked for "everything on it, just everything", thinking back... I can't say that I've ever really seen a lot of people (who I'd estimate to be) over 70 in Subway. But like I said to the guy who owned the place, it is intimidating, the first time I went to a Subway I did the same thing my Dad does now, just asked for a sub with everything on it because I didn't want to hold up the people behind me.

I thought I'd send my thoughts to Subway, went to their site, I guess then it occurred to me that I'd never seen any Subway advertising pitched at the older crowd, or seen a single older person in any of their media/advertising.
    Anyway what I'm getting at is, apparently Subway is ignoring an entire section of the market (over 60s), and if Subway put in a little effort with better/bigger/bolder signs/directions (and possibly some basic sub templates, e.g. ham & salad sub, chilli chicken sub etc) they could ease first time customers into the whole process, instead of frightening them away.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wait. It's been a while, but doesn't Subway have loads of sub "templates" to which you can add various condiments? That's how it was the last time I was there. You can just get the plain sub, or add whatever condiments you like.

I suppose I don't get why you'd go to a sandwich shop if you didn't know what goes into a sandwich you'd like...

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The whole depiction of the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld was really over the top. But it did hit on a certain truth. That whole order the first few times is indeed intimidating you begin going to a place that requires quickly making your order to keep the line moving. It was for me too the first time I went to a Subway. But now, the odd time I still go, I know exactly what I want and rifle it off. In fact, now I'm the one who has to slow down to let the ladies behind the counter keep up.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I hate fast food restaurants, you almost always gotta rush your order so as to not hold up other people behind you, and everyone expects you to magically know the exact quirky name of every meal on the menu.

Some time ago I went to MacDonalds and while placing my order I told the young lady behind the counter to give me a chicken burger (mind you there was only one kind on the entire menu in that particular restaurant), and she gives me this look like I've just asked her to solve a string theory equation for me. "You mean a McChicken?" What the hell else could I possibly mean? Do you need me to draw you a picture? It's not like the classic chicken burger isn't exactly the same everywhere. :nolike:

Luckily, I like cooking, so I don't frequent these places much.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Anyone who can't handle a subway order probably should stay out of NYC, Jersey or Philly. Ex. - Pat's Steaks in South Philly has a nice long line all day as they have awesome Cheesesteaks. If you take more than 2-3 seconds to relate your order, you'll get a very loud "NEXT!" in your face and then if you stand there like a deer in headlights, your are told to move or be moved. I **** you not. When I lived there, I would walk up to the window and say "Provy Wit". I then coughed up the dough(6-7 bucks) and rec'd my Cheesesteak with Provolone and Friend Onions within seconds. Automation wouldn't be faster and that is how they make their money, tons of sales.

6. dainnana Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

In my opinion it is very dangerous for health to eat in such places!

7. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    The folks at Subway down here will not let you continue until you pick what type of sub you want. They keep a very strict bread->meat->spreads->toppings->sauces format. Luckily the folks at the one at school like me so when I ask for peppers or spinach to go on the sub before toasting, they'll do it without the funny looks. As a matter of fact, once I asked for it, they tried it that way and decided it was awesome.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Had the same. i always just look around first, decide what I want, and then ask it. Ik was a small Subway place. most here are not busy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.