1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stygian - Review @ IndianNoob

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Sep 29, 2019.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]IndianNoob checked out Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones:

[​IMG]

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones Review :: Brilliant Lovecraft Adaptation, Good RPG

As a fan of Lovecraftian fiction, I took great pleasure in reviewing two of the latest adaptations recently, Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu and Frogware's Sinking City. CRPGs are basically my bread and butter over at The Indian Noob and I try not to miss out on any new releases. Thus, I've been waiting for Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones for quite some time; Cultic Games' new RPG that supposedly combines otherworldly cosmic horror with deep RPG mechanics. You don't get to play supernatural RPGs every day and the fact that its Lovecraftian horror makes it even better. With our sci-fi aficionado Sailesh Singh riding shotgun, I ventured into the bizarre world of Stygian to pass the final judgment.

Story & Setting

Stygian is a love letter to the works of Lovecraft and those who followed. To my surprise, it takes more inspirations from Dream Cycle, The Shadow Out of Time and The Haunter of the Dark than Call of Cthulhu or Shadow Over Innsmouth, which is quite refreshing. Nevertheless, everything you expect from pulp and weird fiction is present in its full glory, and then some. A town in the verge of ruination? Check. Its denizens slowly turning insane thanks to cosmic entities and indescribable horrors? Check. Helplessness, hopelessness and a lot of unanswered questions? You bet.

[...]

VERDICT

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is hands down one of the best Lovecraftian video game adaptations out there. It's also a good RPG that's just short of excellence due to the average combat, relatively short length and somewhat limited exploration. A dark, brooding setting, narrative-driven gameplay, satisfying role-playing options and plenty of choices await those who buy Stygian. If the current price seems a bit too steep, don't forget to add it to your must-play list and pick it up down the line.

Score: 8/10

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2019
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.