1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

stupid different standard of writing dates!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by teekc, Jul 30, 2007.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

So i received this check from Iowa State University (my school), it dates 7/9/2007. See here's the problem, 7/9/2007 in u.s. means July 9th 2007, but in Malaysia it means 7th September 2007. So i cannot cash it until September. The bank cashier want doesn't take this U.S. date as July 9th. This time American different standard has screw me up real good.

2. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    That's why I always write out the month on checks I write, and I wish that companies would too. When the month is written out, different date formats aren't as much of a problem.

[ July 30, 2007, 08:14: Message edited by: Stefanina ]

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Look! You're already speaking like a red neck American. :p :shake:

Face it people...the American standard is the way to go. The SI/Metric system sucks, any date format besides MM/DD/YYYY sucks, driving on the left side of the road sucks, and anything else you wacky foreigners do sucks too! :p :shake:

/me locks himself in a bomb shelter. :lol:

(I'm just kidding by the way...) :rolling:

4. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    DD/MM/YYYY here in Aus. Bet you wish you went to school here now right ;)

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

You either go smallest to biggest or biggest to smallest, but you can't scramble it up, put it in a random order and think it makes sense :p

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The Danish standard is DD-MM-YY, for example 09-07-07. That's dashes, not slashes. ;)

For international correspondence I normally use YYYY/MM/DD (2007/07/09). That way, it's obvious the first four digits are the year, and since nobody uses YYYY/DD/MM, it's very hard to misunderstand the rest.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

So - does anyone know why America introduced differences like this? AFAIK, no other country switches the day and month like that - only America.

Same goes for American butchering of the English language ('color' is supposed to have a 'u' in it, dammit) - is there any good reason why America has this?

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Because most people across the globe say "July 9th, 2007". I've only heard 3 people say "9th of July, 2007" and they were very English.

Because very few people in the 16th century were literate, meaning they spelled words as they sounded. You don't *say* the 'u' in 'color'; be glad it's not 'culer'. :p

9. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

True, but wouldn't that mean that non-Americans would tend to use the more formal '<day> of <month>, <year>' phrase in speech?

So I guess we need a poll to find out? :bad:

(I'm thinking it's just arbitrary how the 'MuDdY' or "DuMmY' dating systems came about and became adopted by respective governments as 'official' formats.)

Or, heaven forbid, spell other words like 'fotograf', or 'farmacy'. (Isaac Asimov was rather vociferous about what he saw as a "foolish" redundancy of the two letters 'ph' that English inherited from the Greek language.)

Which leads me to think of:

:D

(I think it's a George Carlin 'short take' but I'm not certain...)

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

America colors itself as something of a rebel, seeing as that's how we became a country in the first place. It's why we drink coffee instead of tea, it's why we spell things differently, it's why we *do* things differently. Add to that paranoia that other countries are trying to take us down, and we're not about to start doing things their way. Because we're special, and we're the best! :rolleyes:

Also, I think the only true standard for dates is YYYY/MM/DD. Biggest first; it makes for easier coding. :p

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Can't your bank just call the school to verify that the check is not really post-dated?

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Look at BTA dropping in a practical solution when we're having a good time making fun of each other. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    DD/MM/YYYY is the only correct way to write a date.

And, BTA, it's 'cheque'.

(colonials...)

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Precisely.

I can see some logic for how Americans ended up with different spellings for words (annpying though it is) but scrambling up the dates makes no sense at all.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Je n'ai pas su que vous avez parlé français, Barmy.

16. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Je ne savais pas que vous parliez français by the way :p

17. Blog Gems: 23/31

Gah, I hate putting dates in numbers too, so I always write the month name out, in one short form or another. Sept 7, 2007. I know that this form isn't as easy to process with a computer though.

18. teekc Gems: 23/31

number one, the cashier was rather reluctant to do that. Besides, asking them to do so would give them good excuse to charge this and that. i can wait.

number two, yeah BTA, i thought this is a good story to fuel some American mocking. The solution is not the subject here, the problem is.

number three, i emailed the school telling them this problem. i know it's like putting out a dried alfalfa barn with a cup of water, but at least i gave them a suggestion.

number four, like many others here, i use "three alphabet month indication system". This kind of unnecessary confusion can be avoided. The world is chaotic enough.

19. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I agree with kuemper 100% on this matter. We write our dates the way we say them.

Guy #1: "What's your birthday?"
    Guy #2: "September fourth, nineteen eighty one."

The only person who would respond, "Fourth of September, nineteen eighty one." is a overly prude Brit with a stick up his/her backside. :bad: They might as well add “jeeves” or “guv’na” to the end of that sentence. :p

We don't queue up for the lift....we wait in *line* for the * elevator *. We don't live in flats, we live in *apartments*...well, those of us who can't afford a house do. :rolleyes:
    Smoking a fag to us means either killing a homosexual, or seriously beating them in some contest. If you're actually smoking a tobacco product, then it's called smoking a cigarette.

Anyway...my point is, our version of the English language actually makes sense. :p :rolling:

20. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    So do we in Danish: Nittende oktober nitten-fireogtres = 19th October nineteen sixty-four = 19-10-1964. I guess the best solution is to accept Danish as a world language. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.