1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strange reloading

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Arendil, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Maybe that's just me, or my computer, but I experienced strange behaviour of SP lately. While reading last page (last post) of any topic, automatic reload happens every 30 or so seconds. And I didn't refresh manually. It is slightly inconvenient if you try to copy a quote, and it's interrupted by a reload of page.
    Thanks fo help !

[Edit - in fact it is not that regular, but even this edit was interrupted (i.e. deleted) once]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There is no such thing in the code here... the pages do not reload once they have loaded fully. A rogue ad might be causing this, but then other people should have noticed it as well... and if no one has, it's more likely a browser issue or setting.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've had it since yesterday, too. Might be something with ads and XP SP2.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If it's an ad that is causing this, it needs to be tracked down... so if you notice this behaviour, please right-click on the ad on top and click Properties and copy/paste the graphic url of the ad here so I can report it.

5. chevalier

Media:
  6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

oh, i thought it was just my computer..

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Same here. So there was nothing wrong with my work computer. Hmm. Hope that gets fixed.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, the problem is that the ad you see after the reload is not the same one as before, and if that one doesn't cause a reload as well, it's fine. The problem is catching the one that causes the actual reload... So the only way to get to the bottom of this is take note of the ad as soon as the page loads, and report that one if it causes the page to reload...

Anyway, Jaguar and chev, both of you have SPS accounts... all you need to do is use the SPS login on the site and you won't get any ads on the boards.

9. chevalier

Media:
    Okay. By the way, I know the second ad doesn't matter but only the first one. Reloads only happen when the smiley one is displayed. Other ads don't cause a reload.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    I've just seen that ad, and no reloading happened for me...

11. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Maybe its because you have an SPS account as well.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    No, I have it disabled always so that I can spot any problematic ads right away... If I had an SPS account, I wouldn't even see that ad. :) As soon as you log in with the SPS details on the site, the ads on the boards are disabled completely.

13. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Perhaps it only occurs with a certain browser? It might help if the people having problems actually said which browser they were using.

14. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I've been experiencing it for WEEKS! :mad: I thought it was just my laptop or some setting of my account. It's terrible when it happens when I'm in the middle of typing a long post. It happens both with IE and Mozilla.

15. Arendil Gems: 6/31

16. Taluntain

Media:
    I keep seeing those ads all the time but I never get any reloads... do those of you who are experiencing reloads have SP2 installed? I'm using IE6, Windows XP SP1.

Very strange that this would only be happening for some people, but cross-browser...

Also, do those of you who are experiencing this have some sort of ad/pop-up blocking software installed?

17. chevalier

Media:
    SP2 installed, no ad blocking software. It's the damned smiley ad, I'm telling you. It's just happened again. *Wanders off to make use of SPS*

18. Arendil Gems: 6/31

Don't laugh - Win98SE + Firefox 1.04, no ad blocker...

@Charlie - use "Full reply form" - this way your post remains intact, only subwindow with thread reloads.

19. chevalier

Media:
    Are you sure the full reply form doesn't have the same problem with reloading and losing the text?

Typing longer things in notepad first protects you from sudden database updates, ISP problems (like when it cuts your connection before you hit send and you don't even realise) and other such unpleasant surprises. Especially if there's a big lag on a given day and the post is quite long, I tend to press CTRL+A and CTRL+C before sending (select all and copy to clipboard, respectively).

20. Arendil Gems: 6/31

Sure ? No. So far it worked for me, as I said, only subwindow reloads, but who knows...

[Edit - I was wrong, reloading happens no matter how or where you write, in fact it's becoming more and more frequent]

[ June 21, 2005, 11:02: Message edited by: Arendil ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.