1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strange noises

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Apeman, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

My computer is making some strange noise when booting up. Since a few months every time I start the computer a loud zooming, more rattling noise appears when booting then dies away when windows has been loaded.

I tried to look if there was something loose inside but I couldn't really find anything and I'm no expert and afraid to break something.

What could it be, and can I fix this myself. A discription of the component would be nice.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Have you tried booting it with the case off? If not that might allow you to get a better sense of where the noise is coming from.

My guess would be that there is something wrong with one of the fans but without hearing the noise I can't really say.

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Your hard drive might be dying.

Make backups *now*.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Thanks for the replies.

I booted without the case and it's definately not my harddrive (phew), the noise seems to be eminating from my Nvidea 6600GT fan. Now it only makes the rattling when booting, never another time. It doesn't even make the sound if I reboot my computer within 30 minutes of switching it off.

Is my one year old videocard already dying or could it be harmless?

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You said it yourself: the fan is keeping the noise, so there is nothing wrong in the card itself. In fact, my previous card had a similar problem when the moving parts got out of lubricant, resulting in this annoying, high-pitched noise.

Unfortunately, pretty much every video-card manufacturer has forgotten the aspect of maintenance. You can't remove the fan easily and you can't oil it without breaking it apart. The only solution would be to remove it completely and install a custom cooler or heat-pipes.

6. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Yes you can oil it, just remove the card and apply some oil. Simple as that...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.