1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strange keyboard malfunction

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Jan 12, 2016.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've got two working Windows computers with PS/2 ports. Both have PS/2 keyboards and mice to save USB spots since I've got a couple of spare keyboards.

Lately the keyboard on my Windows 7 computer started malfunctioning intermittantly. The num lock, scroll lock, and caps locks would flash, and the keyboard would stop responding. I'd have to unplug and replug it to get it working, or reboot the computer, sometimes both.

I tried swapping the keyboards to see if the issue was the keyboard or the computer, and the keyboards worked fine on both computers when swapped for three days.
    Puzzled, I swapped them back. The problem returned on the Windows 7 computer. Yet when I tried putting it back on the old XP machine a second time and played some old games, it had no problems.

The keyboards are different sizes, one having more distance between the function keys and the top of the keyboard as well as larger boarders, and the larger one fits better on the desk with the flatscreen than the one with the old CRT. Yet it is malfunctioning on that computer, but works fine on the old computer with the CRT.

Has anybody ever encountered something like this before? The keyboard in question has been used with the Win 7 computer for at least three years without issue, I can't recall exactly when the old keyboard was broken in an accident with the cord.

Unfortunately, most of my other spares are either ergonomic keyboards that I hate (what came with the Windows 7 computer was one, I just pulled out an old spare), and the last one that isn't is also one of those big ones with the big "wrist guard" in front of the space bar that takes up lots of desk space that I don't like and cannot use with the CRT computer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.