1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

still restarting... bios defaults?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Enagonios, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] i dont get it. the cd is new and i ran a virus scan and came up clean, why does it STILL keep restarting...? will restoring to defaults in BIOS seriously affect the other non-BG2 programs in my computer? in what ways?

2. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    No, BIOS settings only affect hardwareresources.

But why do you think the BIOS has anything to do with the restarting of your pc?

3. Balduran's Boot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

No it will not!
    First do the restoring of Bios configurations.
    But try two remember main diferences between default and your current configuration settings.
    If all goes well after restoring try to set those configuratios that were other than default back to the way they were one by one.
    (Sorry for my bad English!)

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I mentioned my restarting problem to Takara (The "Restarting Glitch" topic) and he said he had a similar problem and restoring to defaults on bios worked for him so i figure, if it wont affect my other programs or ruin anything, why not give it a shot.

Balduran's boot: thanks, this is gonna sound stupid, but where would most of the more significant changes take place? so i know what too look at before i reset.

5. Balduran's Boot Gems: 1/31

It is hard to answer!
    First tell me if you ever changed any settings in BIOS lately!And if your answer is yes then tell me were they changed by yourself or not?

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Restoring the Bios defaults worked for me. The reason, I suppose, is that the hardware configs had been altered in some way. Either from something I installed, or somebody else. Whatever the reason, restoring the defaults put the resources back to ones that I had originally. Presumably before the alterations.

It is the only thing that I can think of, since his PC doesnt have a virus, there is nothing wrong with his CD, and nothing else seems to have changed to make it suddenly stop working.

The most significant changes will be in the advanced options. If you have a RAID on your motherboard, that could be a problem that you will have to be aware of, but otherwise, I dont see it being a problem.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

RAID < is this an acronym? no, i haven't touched anything on the bios.

8. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Why couldn't it just be an error in windows? Have you checked the logs?

If you don't know what RAID is, you probably don't use it :)

9. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    RAID is something some motherboards have. If you dont have one, dont worry. It can just cause a problem on boot up if you have one.

The reason I knew it wasnt an error in windows, for me, was because I re-installed the damn thing and it had no effect.

10. Balduran's Boot Gems: 1/31

Restoring you Bios settings woun't do your PC no harm.Do it without fear.
    Then try runing BG2.
    I can't exactly tell you what you need to temember but i think that you know that some settings may improve your computer's work!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.