1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Steve Jobs is dead

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by dmc, Oct 6, 2011.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yeah, just read it in my online-papers.

Sad, was an innovative Guy.
    Not much of an apple fan - or user, (own an old iPod g5.5)

But I'm surprised, of the discussions and hostility on some boards concerning his death.
    Some rave some sneer.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Not a huge apple fan or user here either, but he was a great visionary. I'm pretty sure that without him our technology would be far behind what it currently is.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Been on the cards for years, considering the type of cancer he had its a minor miracle he lasted this long but its clear the guy had tremendous will power and no doubt unlimited funds for the best medical treatment helped too. I remember thinking a month or so back when he stepped down that the end was probably close and that has turned out to be the case.

I'm not going to pretend I was a fan of the guy and his business practices/ideas, or at least those at Apple in the last decade or so, but there is no doubting the effect he had on his chosen industry and he will rightly be missed by many.

Early innovations in the iPhone spurred on every other phone manufacturer to create better phones which he should be thanked for if nothing else.

RIP.

5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not much of an Apple fan. I'll remember Steve Jobs as the guy who so loved doing what he did he managed to get over getting kicked out of his own company, among other things.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am shocked at all the negative comments I'm seeing on some comments threads. Some people can be astonishingly negative, even when someone has died. He was a legend.

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

May he rest in peace - I don't think I've bought a single Apple product, but he was a very charismatic speaker and a visionary.

8. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Spot on mate!

Couldn't believe my eyes what i read:
    From blaming him, that a poor Chinese sold his kidney so he could buy an iPad, to the recent lawsuits over patents. :confused:

The guy was no god, but he did innovative things with already existing Tech. And that mattered, and that spurred development everywhere.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    His obviously ill health certainly would explain his departure from Apple. It was the responsible thing to do. He was a visionary indeed; Apple designs are brilliant. Successors will have a hard time catching up.

R.I.P.

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yes Apple, what to say. Steve Jobs was Apple. Period.

No one however can mop the bad things under the carpet. It will always be a debate between Apple haters(like me), and Apple fans.

I am not that naive to say that the competition was more person of environmental friendly.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    All the recent Apple product designs actually had more to do with an English guy called Jonathan Ive.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He was certainly one of the great innovators of our time. He will be missed. I was never an apple fanatic, but I was certainly a fan.

I'm just surprised by how quickly this all came about. He must have kept working until the absolute last minute he was physically able to. Says a lot, I think.

13. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Interesting how people hate Rupert Murdoch, but admire Steve Jobs.

RIP Steve Jobs, you were a ruthless business man and a master of repackaging old technology and selling it as something new (and expensive), we now live in a world which you envisioned, everyone having the same sterile devices which have as much personality as Al Gore. To many, you will be missed.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    He did. He just stopped formally working for Apple in August, although he did take a few leave of absences previously for his health. But yeah, he ran Apple until about two months ago.

I think the best thing I can say about him was not about his innovations, but his vision. He knew what we wanted before we knew what we wanted.

Well of course he was - you don't get to the top without being an extremely driven and dedicated person, and doing everything possible to get you there. I also imagine, although I certainly don't know him, that he was rather egotistical. I also think such a character trait would come with the territory of his position. I'm sure you can say much the same with Bill Gates.

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I guess the embarrassment of the iPhone 4S announcement with Tim Cook did him in. ;)

16. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    R.I.P. Mr. Jobs.

Love him or hate him, the massive impact he's had on technological advancement, and by extension, our world, is not to be denied.

17. Shoshino

Media:
    curious... what technological advancement?

18. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, not to give an overly simple answer, but simply put, it's the advancement of technology. I'm using "technological advancement" as a noun.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just drunk (as your Mood states), rather than trolling.

19. Shoshino

Media:
    I dont bother with the mood thing, I'm pointing out that apple haven't actually developed anything new, everything they have released was based on existing technology, alot of what they released isn't a fraction as good as competators products, they have simply been branded in a 'trendy' manner making people believe that this 'i' brand is something special.

MP3 players existed long before the Itunes player (Ipod)
    Tablet computers existed long before the Ipad
    smart phones existed long before the Iphone

As for mac computers, they dont compare to a PC which costs half the price.

20. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Say what you want about Apple, but remember this man was also behind Pixar. And I think everyone can agree that Pixar is magical. Cool guy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.