1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stephen Hawking on the Afterlife

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by T2Bruno, May 16, 2011.

1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Interesting quote:

The story is here.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That doesn't surprise me. I'd say scientists, especially those researching origins and how the universe works would be most lkely to share such an opinion.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This, IMO, is the best part of his interview.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I particularly like how they broke the quote in it ;)

Why is this news anyway?

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is why I can get so frustrated by religous people and religion. If you use the knowledge we have now and think things through there is no other reasonable conclusion to arrive to. To me it just seems willfully stupid to stick with a view of the world expressed by some shaman from a desert tribe a few thousand years ago.

I especially liked: "They made a human-like being with whom one can have a personal relationship. When you look at the vast size of the universe and how insignificant an accidental human life is in it, that seems most impossible." What kind of petty creature would have any interest in the sexual life of beings whose entire planet exists for the tiniest fraction of time in the large scheme of things? It is like a gardener taking a keen interest in the goings on of the atoms on a grain of sand underneath the tiles of the path to the fountain.

6. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Correct. But the science always has one "drawback": it cannot take into consideration the knowledge we do NOT have (more precisely, it can, there are models that include uncertainty as well, but I'm talking totally generally). And in reality, the closed-world assumption does not apply (i.e. that what is not known is considered to be false). So a LOT of things that science states cannot be proved at all; often, there are (well-confirmed and practical) suspicions only.

So nothing guarantees that something won't come up that changes on our current views.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Be that as it may but the classical concept of god is just an even older attempt at explaining everything based on even less knowledge than what science have now.

8. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Also a good point, joacqin. Yet, there are still very many things that are dark for us, and nothing guarantees that in the future something will not change our current views; and thus, eventually, some older (religious) concept becomes true after all.

Of course, if something becomes true (e.g. that afterlife exists), it doesn't mean it will be true for the reasons given by some religious explanation. It is possible to come into correct conclusion based on an incorrect train of thought or incorrect considerations. In fact, religious explanations aren't based on (true) scientific facts. This doesn't mean science and religion cannot meet one day.

All in all, I don't consider science totally superior to the beliefs of our ancestors. It is superior to the science of the past, and yes, it is immensely important to our world and life. This still doesn't mean it is superior to certain old basic concepts by all means and in all ways.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't stand Stephen Hawking, he's such a pompous little twat. Born and bred in Oxford and puts on that fake American accent - prick!

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's the first thing Hawking has said that I think I understand. Everything else he talks about is gibberish.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.