1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stefan Petzner: " Haider was the man of my life'"

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Shaman, Oct 23, 2008.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I came upon something unexpected today. So, after his tragic* death, the former Austrian politician continues to generate controversy. A Mr. Stefan Petzner recently spoke to the Austrian radio, describing his relationship with the man. You can find out more at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7685905.stm

"We had a special relationship that went far beyond friendship," Mr Petzner said in an emotional interview.

"Joerg and I were connected by something truly special. He was the man of my life," he added.

And he insisted that Mr Haider's widow did not object to their relationship.

Oh, and if you ask who Stefan Petzner is, I am afraid I do not know any more about him than that.

*: no more than any other, imo, but some may feel otherwise

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He was a right wing politician, what did you expect? They are riddled with closet self-hating homoesexuals. ;)

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm glad to see it's not just the republican party....

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The dismantling of THE flamboyant figure on the Austrian right ... just as him, 'Mr. Law & Order himself', dying in a car wreck after driving under the influence wasn't enough - aside from being flamboyantly xenophobic and anti-Semitic he was also closet gay? I didn't really want to know. The man never really deserved attention.

That also counts for this Mr. Stefan Petzner, who is now touring the Austrian and Swiss interview circuit as a second widow :rolleyes:

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Sounds to me like this guy is just gunning for some extra attention. This party, the Alliance for Austria's Future, sounds to me like a fringe extremists party (from the article, anyhow) -- I mean, he only got 10% of the votes last election, right? Is Austria a Proportional Rep system? Even if it is, he still wouldn't have a huge voice in the government, I'm guessing.

But it's still worth asking -- will this admission of quasi-homosexuality damage this right wing party in Austria?

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

It is proportional, yes. AFAIK there are 2 large parties in Austria - the OVP conservatives and the SPO social-democrats. Often the two parties govern in a joint centrist coalition. Heider's current party is the BZO, and it did get some 10% of the votes, but there is another far right party, the FPO - which Heider's block splintered from. The FPO was supposedly centrist before Haider became its leader (in the 80s it was part of some coalition governments with the OVP) but they veered to the right since. Actually, many of Heider's famous comments, which branded him as a nationalist and Nazi Germany sympathizer, came during his period as a FPO leader. In 2000, the party got some 27% of the votes - more than any other party - and managed to persuade the OVP to enter a coalition government with it. Heider's people had a problem with the internal opposition and split up from the party; they didn't fare very well until 2008, barely passing the 4% barrier for entering parliament, but they did fairly well this year. Anyway, the Austrian far right is fairly large numerically, even if it is usually shunned in politics - conventional political wisdom prefers left-right centrist coalitions, as nationalists are considered somewhat taboo. Still, the two far right parties in Austria have some 30% of the seats and in case of a serious rift between conservatives and social democrats (like that's hard) either of the two may be chosen for a coalition partner again.

I'm not sure there is a clear parallel on the other side of the Atlantic to compare them to - according to the US standards (as I understand them) some of their positions are on the right, others on the left. I'd say they are so much on the right they are approaching the left from the other end ;) Think dislike for foreigners and immigrants, glorification of their (austrian/pan-Germanic?) past - basically a conservative ideological base - with support for a strong central government, compulsory pre-schooling, partial nationalization of the agriculture and other methods to give the state a measure of control over the social and economic sphere. Then, add a sprinkle of libertarian ideas such as more direct democracy (referenda, I suppose), no inheritance tax, and a few others.... In general, imo such parties tend to preach a very democratic society - for those who are the "proper" members of society - and a powerful state to guarantee the public's interests.

Edit: ooh, something interesting. This Petzner guy had been selected as the leader of Heider's party on October 12th, but these media "revelations" have since cost him the position. Tusk, tusk, what a shame for a party of values ;)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.