1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stealth bug

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by ether_rogue, Sep 29, 2009.

1. ether_rogue Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I don't seem to be able to find an answer to this anywhere, either on this website, or anywhere else on the net, so my hopes aren't high, but I'll go ahead and ask:

I'm having an issue where, whenever I try to stealth, it only works just after I've loaded my game or started a new game. I can stealth maybe 1 to 3 times before stealth just quits working altogether. After that, I try to stealth and nothing happens. I don't get a success/fail message, or any dialogue at all, I push the button and absolutely nothing happens. I don't go transparent, I don't hear the stealth noise, nothing. However, when I push it again, it tells me I'm "Leaving Shadows." I was never IN the shadows though, I can walk up to mobs and they still see me. I've tested this on multiple classes, races, genders and alignments and it's always the same.

My OS is Vista, and I do have Heart of Winter installed. When I first noticed it, I didn't have the HoW patch installed, so I tried installing that. Nothing. I have no 3rd party mods or anything like that. Does anyone have any clue what this could be? Thanks in advance.

---------- Added 0 hours, 8 minutes and 27 seconds later... ----------

Ugh...never mind. Just didn't realize it took so long to stealth. I am an idiot.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Have you been playing with Dalekeeper? I remember something similar happening after I tinkered with my party in Baldur's Gate I with Gatekeeper. Granted, Dalekeeper seems more like the more sophisticated Shadowkeeper than the original GateKeeper and I have never experienced this problem in either BG2 or IWD. Also, the bug hasn't happened when I finally got TOTSC and switched to Sword Coast Keeper.

I'm pretty sure just playing with stats won't do it, but I"m not sure what else triggers the bug.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 5 seconds later... ----------

Oh, it shouldn't take that long for stealth to kick in, it should be almost instant.

3. ether_rogue Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yeah, I did use Dale Keeper, but only to change my level 1 party's stats, and not above their natural limits. I've read a few other topics about how long it took for stealth to kick in on IWD, that's pretty much what's happening now. So it's gone from being potentially game-breaking to a slight annoyance, I'm pretty satisfied with that.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, I can't help you there. I've only experienced it in BG1, and generally only after messing with things other than the 6 vital statistics.

Maybe it only shows up in HOW or TOTLM. After all the trouble I went to to install it, I haven't really had much of a chance to actually play it on the laptop. I've only used Microsoft Word 97. The one chance I had, all I managed to do was create my party, save the game, and edit it with Dalekeeper before I ran out of time. I didn't realize it took so long to make a party.

Of course, I COULD play on the laptop at home, even hook up a real mouse instead of the trackpad, but I prefer my desktop.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I just started a game, and the bug is showing up for me too. It seems to have been introduced in Heart of winter. I have NOT used Dalekeeper, although I did use the console to add a few tomes, but my stats are all legit.

Oh, it is also affecting the bard song, which used to be much faster.

6. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I have this issue in my games. My solution is to push the stealth button and just wait. Eventually (20-30 seconds), it makes the stealth check and finally fails. The button greys out until the next turn when it begins working as normal.

Also, I've never used DaleKeeper. I am playing with Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster installed though. I also don't recall having ever used the console commands for anything.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't recall it happening without HoW installed.
    I do recall it cropping up a couple times in the original Baldur's Gate, but only if I did too much tinkering with Gatekeeper. I don't recall it happening since I switched to Sword Coast Keeper in BG1.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.