1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stat Rolls

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Sirdan, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Actualy, there are 3 tomes of wisdom in BG with TotSC. One in Durlag's tower(TotSC), one below Candlekeep and an Umberlee priestes has another one in Baldur's Gate dock district.

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Sirdan,
    Getting such extremely high rolls are total flukes. I coul dkeep rolling for hours and get the rolls you describe and nothing over 90 when suddenly there pops up something like a 95 roll.
    "Normal" rolls appear to max out around 85-90 and you'll get several in that area but almost no rolls in the 91+, then, out of the blue, comes a roll that can be anything from 91 and up. The trick is to stay alert after hours of rolling... :eek:

After a session like that you promise yourself this is the last time and next time you'll do this via Shadow/Gatekeeper and save yourself the aggravation and time.
    For me rolling for hours to get stats like these gives a sense of legitimacy to a character that I can't get from using GK/SK to fix the stats.

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Sense of legitimacy? I remember back when I played AD&D PnP, and I was allowed to roll only once. Then I could do nothing but accept what I got. Rolling for hours is just as much cheating as using any trainer or editor.

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

It's a combat based computer game, not a role playing game. :rolleyes: And in role playing the stats depend on how the GM wants you to roll, in BG you only have one choice.

5. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It's still cheating to go for that perfect roll. Might as well use the editor and save yourself a lot of trouble.

6. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Look mages bards and rangers have some of the worst rolls around.
    If you really think it cool to create a power game character :rolleyes: then try a Paladin. You will probably get about 1 in 10 rolls over 90. At least. Other than that i am afraid you will ust have to put up with the fact that you cannot have such high stats in everything.

7. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

To answer your question about low strength, it isn't a problem unless you're plannning on soloing. With only 50 lbs carried weight allowed, you'll get the "character slowed" or "encumbered" message a little too often for comfort.
    For solo mages, I aim at 70 lbs (10 strength).
    Also, low stats (str for mages, int for fighters) can get you in trouble real fast when fighting monsters that absorb stat points. Stoneskin offers zero protection vs stat absorption. Don't get surrounded by demon-shadows if you have a low str, or don't get mobbed by illithids if you don't have 16+ int, whatever your AC is.

About stats rolling, it's basically up to you. You can't really "cheat" when playing on your own. You define your own rules. "Cheating" only starts when 2 people get involved.

[ July 30, 2002, 02:22: Message edited by: Arutha ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.