1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stat Rolls

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Sirdan, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Ok, now I am mad :mad:

I was rolling for 2 hours and the best stats i got were

3x84
    5x85
    1x86
    3x89
    1x90

What the f*ck is going on? in BG2 i have managed to roll 93 quite easily. How the h*ll do you guys roll 95's and 97's . I have BG2&ToTSC in the 3CD version (the original saga.)

I need help and quick :mad:

[This message has been edited by Sirdan (edited July 24, 2002).]

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It depends on what class you are. The game will automatically raise your key stats to the minimum allowed without adjusting any of the other stats, so the more minima your class has, the better your chances of higher total numbers is.

3. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Are we refering to strength here? eg. 18/??

4. Sirdan Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] No, no. I was creating a human mage and these are my best total scores.

Anyway, are there any tips on how to roll better and faster? ;)

[btw, I just managed to roll a 91, thank god :holy:]

[This message has been edited by Sirdan (edited July 25, 2002).]

5. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] And what do you need better rolling for?

6. Sirdan Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Well, Mollusken better rolling, just helps. i mean what is better:

human, mage
    str 10
    dex 16
    con 16
    int 18
    wis 14
    cha 14

or

human, mage
    str 16
    dex 18
    con 16
    int 18
    Wis 14
    Cha 14

7. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Sirdan, I suggest that you don't play NWN. You'll be shocked at the 'low' stats :p.

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited July 25, 2002).]

8. Sirdan Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] I know, Wildfire. Damn 3rd Edition and point buy system. :flaming:

9. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Gee, aren't you a picky one? You don't really need strength or wisdom for anything, unless you intend to continue to BG2 with the character (in that case you'd be better off with low strength anyway, use a strength-enhancing belt if you really want Conan the archmage). Your mage will probably not be a party leader, so charisma 14 might be *slightly* excessive. 12 will do just fine.

(For you min/maxers out there, no, charisma doesn't do anything if you're not talking to npc's, but it's personal preference. If you want a smelly, warty, obnoxious drunkard with charisma 3 as your main character, fine.)

You might also use stat-enhancing tomes to boost those superhuman stats (an average person has 10-11 in all stats), or if you really must get better stats, use GateKeeper.

10. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

On a related note:

I just started BG1 (great game so far) but it looks to me that npcs overall have lower stats than in BG2. Even the ones you meet again in BG2 seem to have had their stats improved (e.g. Minsc).

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Considering that we're talking about stats here, has anyone here tried playing a character with more or less mediocre rolls? So basically maybe one good score while the others are at most average?

12. Fritz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yap, when i first played BGII, i played a skald(bard), that was more or less all average.

13. Sirdan Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] ok guys, i've just managed to roll a 92 :money:

Here is how I distributed my points:

Str 8
    Dex 16
    Con 16
    Int 18
    Wis 18
    Cha 16

But one more question :hmm:

Is Str 8 a problem? I mean are there any items essential to mages (staffs,slings etc.) that require a better strength to use?

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You have a mage and you wasted your points on 18 WIS?! What on earth for?

15. Fritz Gems: 2/31

Probably for lore and limited wish, wish spell's.

16. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

He could dual to cleric.

17. Sirdan Gems: 7/31

@Taluntain
    One magic word here: Wish

@Mollusken
    I won't dual. I am planning to make him a wild mage upon importing in BG2.

but can someone answer my last question?

18. Fritz Gems: 2/31

I don't think there are any daggers or slings that require more than 8 strength but i'm not sure about staffs. Anyway Mage doesnt need high strength so they probably didn't create a weapon for a mage he can use only if he has high strength.
    PS (You could look into shadow keeper for the description of weapons)

19. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I would say that you could put a couple of points from Wisdom into Strength, considering how there are 3 or so tomes of +1 to Wisdom in BG.

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    There are two tomes of wis in BG-ToSC ... maybe more with one of the weird add-ons but only two in the game with addition. As for the other stgats there is only one book each.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.