1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting over from BG1 till ToB

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Abdel - Bhaal Spawn, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I imagine this post has been done before and everyone has his or her thought on this game and what they like or don't like, etc.

So before you make any judgement please read this full post to see my point of view and let me know what you think.

Imoen, Jaheria, Minsc, Edwin, and Viconia will be my traveling companions throughout BG1 & BG2.

These are the only NPC carried over into BG2 from BG1 and they are also the same NPCs that are part of the default game from TotSC. This leads me to believe that these are the 5 main NPCs that are suppose to travel with you. However through your sub-quest you tend to swap out the non love interest female to help other NPCs out during your travels.

Now onto the protaginist. I have read many post about what race and class the protaginist should be. And here are a few guidelines that I will go by in my race/class decission. First off you are a spawn of a god Bhaal, who was an assassin. The protaginist should be roughly 20 years of age. What I decided on is a male 1/2 elf ranger. I decided on a ranger over a multi or dualed class Fighter/Thief because in BG2 or using Tutu I will be a Ranger - Stalker. This kit gives me the main abilities of a assassin, stealth and back stabb that are essential for assassins.

The love interest I will have is Viconcia, to change her evil ways in ToB.

The only problem I see with this group is keeping my Rep Points low enough to keep Viconcia and Edwin around besides that I think this group will totally kick but throughout the BG series.

BG:
    I will take Imoen right off and head up to the Friendly Arms Inn. I will travel one map location to the right and pick up Viconcia. After that I will pick up Kahild and Jaheria at the frienly arms in. I will than start my travels south. I will only fight any monsters I meet on the main road, this is to keep my level down so when I pick up Minsc and Edwin they are both Level 1 or 2. When I hit the point where you fight 2 Orgillans I will have Khalid killed in that battle. Once I hit Naskel I will pick up both Minsc and Edwin and go witch hunting. I will let Edwin and the witch fight it out.
    After that it is time to head to the mines with my group.

BG2: This game has so many character sub-quest I won't even touch this game just yet. My first concentration is to finish BG1 with the group listed above.

2. grillen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hf, with that line up it shouldn't hard at all, but who are you going to romance, Viconia or Jahera?

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Keeping your rep low isn't as hard as you might think. Just pick a few choice targets for retribution, and when your rep starts getting up there, blast 'em. :evil:
    My personal favorite is Fireballing the first floor of the Burning Wizard in Beregost. Not only do you get to take out that pesky klepto (and three others for collateral damage), but it's ironic too! The Burning Wizard. :lol:

4. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Grillen I am first going to start romancing Jaheria for the first part of the game. I will let Jaheria go to pick up Viconcia and romance her. I am going for both but Viconcia in the end.

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Erm, what about Minsc and Edwin beating the crap out of each other over Dynaheir? How will you handle either one leaving or one killing the other?

6. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Kuemper good point.

I will remove Minsc from my ground right after I beat the Knoll Chief. This will allow me to pick him up right after I kill the witch.

7. UCLAParadox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Do not remove Minsc at the Gnoll Fortress. I'm pretty sure if you do that, you can never readd him to the group. You'd be better to leave him one screen away if you have to. You may want to try, but I'm pretty sure Minsc will not rejoin the group if you do that.

Also, as for Rep, if we assume you'll stay at 18 (which is the best way to do it for stores and such), whenever you hit 19 or 20, reform your party and kick out Viconia and then let her walk over and talk to you and when you readd her, you'll drop 2 points. You can also do this before getting the Rep Points so that you'll never be above 20.

8. Janos Greycloak Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The problem still exists in BG2 with Minsc and Edwin, and they'll be perfectly happy to kill each other.

Rep in BG2 is not much of a problem; become the slayer and down it goes... But in general, stop being so nice! :p Try and bribe the flaming fist in chapter 7 before running away, that helps as well.

9. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Last night I made my character and picked up all 5 of the NPCs that will be traveling with me. Viconcia was level two when I got her. I find this weird since everyone was level one, even Jaheria.

Here is my character.
    Human
    Male
    Ranger
    Str 18/00
    Dex 18
    Con 18
    Int 16
    Wis 14
    Cha 10

kuemper I got by the Minsc and Edwin situation last night by removing Imoen from my party and than having Edwin kill Dynaheir, since Minsc will do nothing once Dynaheir is in the party.

I did notice one glitch in the game. If you have Edwin with the ring of wizardary and load up a game he looses the extra spell he gets. Instead of having 6 level one spells when I start off I only have 5. I have to take the ring of wizardary off and than put it back on to pick up the extra spells I receive from his amulet.

My is the current status for my group.
    Abdel - Level 1
    Minsc - Level 1
    Jaheria - Level 2/2
    Imoen - Level 2
    Edwin - Level 1
    Viconcia - Level 3

I have to say this is the most entertaining group I have ever played. Viconcia and Jaheria don't like each other too much when placed next to each other and the same holds true for Edwin and Minsc. I do have to say though that Edwin is already getting on my nerves but at level one he has 6 level one spells with just one ring of wizardary. I can't wait till I get that second ring for him in Baldur's Gate. I am definitely going to play Minsc more as a Figther/Berserker than a Ranger. His stats don't justify his status as a Ranger and he will be one of my main front line tanks. Jaheria will accompany Minsc in toe to toe battle with the enemies. Mean while Imoen, Viconcia, and Abdel will blind them with ranged attacks and Edwin will blast them with his 15+ Magic Missiles.

[ September 13, 2005, 14:36: Message edited by: Silver Knight ]

10. Felinoid

So who's the spokesperson for the group? I assume it's not Abdel with his low CHA, so maybe Imoen? But Jaheira with the Tome of CHA would be just as good, and the Tome won't do anything for Immy.

11. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Felinoid

Imoen is the group leader when going into stores. She Cha is set to 18 with the clock, can't remember it's name off hand. When not in stores Minsc leads. I love his comments.

12. Felinoid

:doh: Right, Algernon's Cloak / Nymph Cloak.

"Yer all buffle-headed!"
    "... Swords for EVERYONE." :lol: Classic.

13. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

I was told the Nymph Cloak has charges on it and Algernon cloak does not. How true is this?

14. Felinoid

Yet another myth. The difference is that the Nymph Cloak only works at point-blank range, while Algernon's Cloak is long-range.

15. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Felinoid,

Here is where Abdel and his party currently stands.

Abdel, Imoen, Viconcia, Jaheria, Minsc, & Edwin are now all traveling together as a group. All members are now starting to gain skills that will later on only help their advancments towards Saverok. In their short time together they have acquired some very useful and powerful trinkets. The two up front warriors, Jaheria and Minsc, acquired items that is most useful for them. Minsc finally layed his hands upon a sword worthy of his skills as a swordsman and Jaheria who was hit often, even when wearing plate mail, is now able to dodge most attacks due to her gaunlets she found on a Orgillian she slain during the hunt for the witch. The one person who is definitely benefiting from this group's defensive and offensive physical skills is Edwin; our phsycially challenged Magic-User. His skills combined with the ring of wizardary does make him quite powerful, or at least it will later on when he can actually use these extra spells to his advantage. As Viconcia, Imoen, and Abdel they provide range weapon support for the toe to toe figthers. Abdel of course is so accurate with a bow that most enemies fall before they even can reach Jaheria or Minsc. Their next adventure is to solve the issues in the Naskel mines, which shouldn't be too much trouble for this group. However a few members within this group believe Viconcia should be well equiped with a weapon of close combat and a shield that protect well against ranged weapons and she says this because she feels this way because she would rather be up front and if she dies, she would prefer to die by a sword than an arrow. The quest after the mines are solved is to find the mad cleric.

[ September 14, 2005, 15:57: Message edited by: Abdel - Bhaal Spawn ]

16. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

It has been a while since I have posted how my party of Abdel, Imoen, Viconcia, Jaheria, Minsc, and Edwin has been doing. First here is my group and what they currently have for magical items.

Abdel: Two Handed Sword +1, Halberd +1, Studded Leather Armor +2, and 60 Arrows +1.
    Imoen: Shadow Armor, Long Sword +2, Bracers of Archery, 40 Arrows +1, and Ring of Infravision.
    Viconcia: War hammer +2, Medium Shield +2, Ankhrog Plate, Ring of Holiness and Sling +1
    Jaheria: Scimitar +3 (Dritz), Ankhrog Plate, Large Shield +1, Gauntlets of Dexterity, Golden Girdle and Boots of Electricity.
    Minsc: Boots of the North, Long Sword +2, Dagger +2, Ring of Protection +1, Girdle of Bluntness and Helm of Infravision, Larger Shield +1.
    Edwin: Travelers Robe, Staff +1, Ring of Protection +1, Bracers of AC 7, Ring of Wizardry and Boots of Avoidance.

I have cleared the Mines and now this group is slowly moving north towards the Bandit Camps, but before they do, they just might go back to Beregost to talk to a wizard there who happened to change another adventurer into stone and maybe can provide them with more information on this Tazok character. Abdel and company haven’t really been challenged yet. All these assassins are more of annoyance than anything.

Viconcia got her wish though. Abdel and company traveled the lands first up the coast making sure every lady and children were out of harms way. Along the way most of this group was able to pick up Magical Items that will assist them in the heat of battle. Viconcia enjoys her new toy and now stands at the front line toe and toe with Abdel's enemies. Jaheria is now able to keep pace with Minsc, but that of course is due to Edwin enhancing her strenght and from her new found toy, a scimitar that was once yield by Dritz. Imoen said she found it by a Gnoll, Abdel thinks other wise. Edwin finally able to stand his own ground is proving his worth to this group by backing them up with his magical abilities. Viconcia and Jaheria are getting tired of spending most of their free time bandaging up Minsc. Imoen is often seen as of late talking with Edwin about the fine arts of Magic, who know what that is about. Abdel and Minsc having been working together one their close ranged combat and Abdel is learning the art of dual wielding, something he feels will compliment his ability to hide and sneak attack his enemies. Besides that the group over all only have a few quirrals and it is mostly between Edwin and Minsc and Jaheria. But Abdel encourage them to work out there difference. Minsc of course would like to by a sword and Edwin would like to by magic. One day these two will kill each other, but as long as Abdel is around hopefully that won't happen.

17. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Nice roll there, Abdel. A 94 plus an 18/00 STR!

A very nice, powerful party too. Shoulda taken a half-elf though, the avatar looks cooler. ;)

18. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

I took human because I heard once you accept the strong hold quest for a ranger and you fall from grace if you dual to a mage and than complete the stronghold quest you get your ranger status back. If not than no real harm. I almost went with a Elf but I had to stick to the specific age grouping and it was either 1/2 Elf or human and given that I wanted to test out the strong hold quest and than dualing idea for myself I decided on a human. With the book of Int. my ranger once in fallen grace should be able to dual to a mage with out too much trouble.

19. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Cool, let us know if that fallen Ranger stuff works!

20. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

hmm, you'll also need to bump the wis to 15 to dual, right? :hmm:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.