1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting New OC Game

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Munchkin Blender, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Last night I decided to start and hopefully finish the NWN OC because I have never been able to play past Chapter 2. I am sticking to my favorite character class, Monk, but this time around I am going a slightly different route. Normally I play a Monk/Sorcerer/RDD or a Monk/Fighter/DD, but this time around I am starting off as a Rogue/Monk/????... I am leaving the last class blank right now as I am not sure how I want to continue with my current build.

I started off with the following character.
    Name: Krillit Stonehand
    Race: Human
    Alignment: LG
    Class: Rogue
    Level: 1
    HP: 6
    Ability Scores: STR: 14 DEX: 16 CON: 10 INT: 12 WIS: 15 CHA: 8
    Skills: Disable Trap 4, Lore 4, Open Locks 4, Persuade 4, Search 4, Tumble 4, UMI 4
    Skill Points Saved: 12
    Feats: Skill Focus Open Locks, Skill Focus Disable Traps

Below is my character after the prologue. He has a little less than 1,000xp to hit his next level.
    Class: Rogue/Monk
    Level: 2/1
    HP: 23
    Ability Scores: STR: 14 DEX: 16 CON: 10 INT: 12 WIS: 15 CHA: 8
    Skills: Disable Trap 6, Discipline 5, Lore 6, Open Locks 6, Persuade 6, Search 6, Tumble 6, UMI 6
    Skill Points Saved: 9
    Feats: Level 1 Monk Feats, Skill Focus Open Locks, Skill Focus Disable Traps, Toughness

First off, what do you all think of my character this early on in the game? I know he has low HP and will be tested early by the gang bosses.

I am unsure if I should select Weapon Focus or Dodge for my next feat or if I should level up as a level 1 fighter at level 6 to gain 2 feats to select both or should I concentrate on improving the BAB and make my third class a CoT use the extra feats to concentrate on defense? So many options…

Not only do I have to figure out which way to go with my feats (offense or defense) but I also have to think about the third class to add, CoT, Ranger, Paladin, Fighter, Cleric, etc….

Any recommendations on how to continue with my character build?

2. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Though I like multiple classes myself,
    in the case of the monk class it is never wrong to stay pure :).

In my opinion, only fighter fits imho (max 4 lvl).
    you get better offense (BAB and feats) vs slower monk abilities gain.

But if going Rogue route:
    CoT and Paladin need CHA to compete with fighter, which you haven't.
    Concerning Ranger or Cleric, I don't know if they would fit.
    Taking Cleric would get you a monk and a cleric both at half power.

Shadowdancer might be a possibility.This would lead to a more defensively orientated monk build.

A druid/shifter/monk is a possibility , too (though not exactly the route you've taken :)).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I'm not a big fan of Monks but I like starting as a Rogue (plenty of Skillpoints and useful skills to boot). Being LG you can't take a Shadow Dancer level (iirc you have to be neutral to do so) otherwise I'd take one level of that prestige class.

Ranger might be quite good for dual wielding kamas (one level) and then focus on the Monk class since it gets better at higher levels.

I finished the OC with a level 18 character (Half Orc Bard/RDD/CoT). Although some areas are boring there are a few surprises in store for you along the way (some quests are quite good, not spectacular but good all the same).

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Normally when I build my Monk character I start off as a Monk and take the next 4 levels as a fighter to gain weapon specialization, and than level up only as a Monk.

This time around I wanted to do more than throw a good hit. I want my character to be well balanced both in skills, feats, offense and defense and that is why I started off with a Rogue. The Uncanny Dodge feat at level 3 as a Rogue was too good to pass up and add into the mix his skills and starting skill points.

I thought about starting off as a Fighter until level 4 and adding one level of Monk at level 5 adding skills into Move Silently and Hide in Shadows to be an Asassin. The disadvantages of the Asassin has less skill points per a level up and lost of startup skill points; however, the advantages were Death Attack instead of the plain old sneak attack, special abilities, UnCanny Dodge at level 2, and being a PrC I wouldn't have to worry about what is the level difference between the Fighter and Asassin class.

I decided on going the route I selected because I got the skill points at level 1, I didn't need to put my INT to 14 to save skill points for the Asassin class, and I get sneak attack at the start of the game rather than at level 6.

I would hate to start over again with another character. I like what I have and I am curious as to how others would develop this character from where he is within my current game. Any recommendations.

5. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I've overseen the LG alignment, so Shadowdancer indeed is out.
    Would be a great choice for a neutral build.

I played through the OC once (i had to force myself at several points, not this great a story) as a caster druid.
    with other builds like monk I never reached past the 1st chapter,
    so my experience isn't that big.
    Nevertheless I think a Rogue/Monk only build should stand on its own pretty well until the end.

Here are some nice builds, though none would 100% fit with your current setup sadly:
    http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Character_builds

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Restart Syndrome

Well I decied to give the Fighter/Monk/Asassin a try.

***I decided not play the Fighter/Monk/Asassin; instead I continued my quest with my Rogue/Monk/Fighter

My character is now as followed....
    Class: Rogue/Monk/Fighter
    Level: 3/2/2
    HP: 61
    AC: 24
    Ability Scores: STR: 14 DEX: 16 (17) CON: 10 INT: 12 WIS: 16 CHA: 8 (9)
    Skills: Disable Trap 10, Discipline 9, Lore 10, Open Locks 10, Persuade 10, Search 10, Tumble 10, UMI 10
    Skill Points Saved: 1
    Feats: Cleave, Deflect Arrow, Dodge, Flurry of Blows, Mobility, Monks AC Bonus, Quick to Master, Skill Focus Open Locks, Skill Focus Disable Traps, Stunning Fist, Toughness, Weapon Focus Unarmed Strike, Uncanny Dodge
    Items: Cloak of Protection +1, Boot +2, Monk Garb +2, Robe of Fire protection, Robe of ice protection, Gaulents +1 +1 Cold, Tommi's Ring, Gnome's Ring, Amulet of Natural AC +1, torch, long bow +1, 99 arrows, 99 arrows +1, and various potions and scrolls.

Gold: 30,000+

I have not purchased anything in the game yet; the only thing I spend money on is teleporting. All the equipment my character has comes from treasure.

I have rescued 2 of the WaterDaven creatures and I am working towards the third.

My character also is working on completing the class specific quest for a rogue, monk and warrior in chapter 1.

For the henchmen quest I have completed Tommi's and will continue to complete his quests through the game. I completed the gnome sorcerer quest in chapter 1 to gain his ring that regenrate HP; in chapter 2 I will purchase the lesser ring of power. Given my character build, should I complete another henchmen quest to obtain an magical item to round out my character?

As it stands my character is less than 1,000 xp away from level 8.

I'm enoying this build because my character is well balanced and doesn't require assistance; though early on when playing in Chapter 1 I had to be careful because the character's HP was only 20-28 and one good hit would kill my character.

I like this build alot; though I wonder how good this build will be in the later levels.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Here is an update on my character....

Class: Rogue/Monk/Fighter
    Level: 3/2/4
    HP: 83
    AC: 23

Ability Scores: STR: 14 DEX: 16 (17) CON: 10 INT: 12 WIS: 17 (18) CHA: 8 (9)

Saves: Fortitude 10, Reflex 10, Will 9,

BAB: 7

Skills: Disable Trap 10, Discipline 12, Lore 12, Open Locks 10, Persuade 10, Search 10, Tumble 10, UMI 10
    Skill Points Saved: 4

Feats: Cleave, Deflect Arrow, Dodge, Flurry of Blows, Great Fortitude, Mobility, Monks AC Bonus, Quick to Master, Skill Focus Open Locks, Skill Focus Disable Traps, Stunning Fist, Toughness, Weapon Focus Unarmed Strike, Weapon Specialization - Unarmed Strike, Uncanny Dodge

Items: Cloak of Protection +1, Boot +3, Robe of the Order, Robe of Fire protection, Robe of ice protection, Sonice Gloves +3, Tommi's Ring, Lesser Ring of Power, Amulet of Wisdom +1, torch, long bow +1, 99 arrows +1, 3 Rod of Ghostly Visage and various potions and scrolls.

Gold: 35,000+

I just started Chapter 2 and purchased the lesser Ring of power. This build found Chapter 1 challenging when acquiring the first WaterDaven Creature; however, after that the character grew stronger and found the rest of the battle no over whelming and was able to stand on his on without the threat of dying from a single blow. The rods come in handy as it protect the character from simple low leve Wizard spells and provides a 10% concealment. I use them typically when fighting a caster or bosses.

I do have to say that Chapter 1 story was pretty lame. If I remember correctly Chapter 2 story is a bit better than Chapter 1 and there are more interesting tile sets to play through.

I'm hoping to get Chapter 2 done by the end of next week as I try only play an hour or so each day.

8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Restarted due to computer issues....

Friday evening led to a long and frustrating evening when I had some serious computer issues that resulted with my save game and NWN install being corrupted. After two hours of fixing computer, I started a new game since everything in NWN was lost.

My new character is a little bit different than my previous build. The character starts his adventuring career as a Monk instead of a Rogue I like having my main class first. INT is increased from 12 to 14 to make up for loose in skill points that a level 1 rogue offers. Instead of concentrating on the skills open locks and disable traps at first level the feats of Hero’s Luck and Strong Soul are selected to improve saving throws.

My new character is working his way through to Luskan. He has found the final document needed, though he feels there is more to explore before he heads into the city of Luskan.

Here is Kale Steel.

Name: Kale Steel
    Class: Monk / Rogue / Fighter
    Level: 5/4/4
    HP: 117
    AC: 29

Ability Scores: STR: 14 DEX: 16 (19) CON: 10 INT: 14 WIS: 17 CHA: 8

Saves: Fortitude 13, Reflex 17, Will 13

BAB: 10

Feats: Hero’s Luck, Improve Critical – Unarmed Strike, Skill Focus – Disable Traps, Skill Focus – Open Locks, Toughness

Fighter Bonus Feats: Dodge, Weapon Focus – Unarmed Strike, Weapon Specialization – Unarmed Strike

Human Feats: Quick to Master – Strong Soul

Monk Feats: Deflect Arrow, Flurry of Blows, Improve Unarmed Strike, Monk AC Bonus, Monk Speed, Purity of the Body, Still Mind

Rogue Feats: Uncanny Dodge I

Skills: Disable Trap 15, Discipline 16, Lore 16, Open Lock 15, Persuade 12, Search 15, Tumble 15, UMI 15

Skill Points Saved: 0

Items: Improved Robes of the Old Older, Boots of Speed, Gloves of the Hin Fist +3, Cloak of Fortification +2, Lesser Ring of Power, Ring of the Rogue +3, Lesser Amulet of the Master, Thieves Hood, Belt of Giant Strength +4, Long Bow +1, 75 Arrows of Piercing, various potions and scrolls

Gold: 180K

The main difference between starting off a Monk is gear from the prologue improved the character longevity in the early parts of Chapter 1 when the character is limited in the items he can purchase due to a lack in gold.

At the beginning of Chapter 2, I purchased the best equipment for my character.

Here is how I leveled up the character…

Level 1: Monk – Hero’Luck and Strong Soul
    Level 2: Rogue
    Level 3: Rogue – Skill Focus – Open Locks
    Level 4: Monk - +1 DEX
    Level 5: Fighter – Weapon Focus – Unarmed Strike
    Level 6: Fighter – Dodge and Skill Focus – Disable Traps
    Level 7: Rogue
    Level 8: Fighter - +1 WIS
    Level 9: Fighter - Weapon Specialization – Unarmed Strike and Toughness
    Level 10: Monk
    Level 11: Monk
    Level 12: Rogue - +1 WIS and Improve Critical Unarmed Strike
    Level 13: Monk

Tonight I plan on finishing up Chapter 2 and hopefully ending Chapter 2 as level 14 if not 15.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I have now finished Chapter 2 and in Chapter 3 so far I have returned one of the “Words of Power” to Arian. Kale Steel is level 16 has yet to be truly tested in this game, other than when he first started out in Chapter 1. I can now see why any class can easily reach the end of the game. The other thing I dislike about this game is that I continue to find high powered magical items that my character does not need or could use. When the item is sold for 6800 gold pieces to buy it back would cost me over 40,000 gold pieces. Most of the gold I acquire in each chapter is used to buy bark skin and bless potions and the best cloak/equipment at the beginning of each chapter.

Chapter two did have a decent story and tile sets; however, in chapter 3 the tile sets are repeating and starting to give me migraine. In addition to getting migraines from repeating tile sets the flow of the game from each chapter is pretty crappy; the cut scenes to explain what has happened since the character finished the prior chapter is stupid and not needed.

For instance; why does it take the character a week after the attack on the academy to go see Fenthick? Instead at the end of the Prologue you should leave the academy with Fenthick and go the temple, which would make more sense than waiting a week.

I only that HotU has a better story than the OC.

Name: Kale Steel
    Class: Monk / Rogue / Fighter
    Level: 8/4/4
    HP: 144
    AC: 31

Ability Scores: STR: 14 DEX: 16 (20) CON: 10 INT: 14 WIS: 18 CHA: 8

Saves: Fortitude 15, Reflex 19, Will 15

BAB: 13

Feats: Hero’s Luck, Improve Critical – Unarmed Strike, Mobility, Skill Focus – Disable Traps, Skill Focus – Open Locks, Toughness

Fighter Bonus Feats: Dodge, Weapon Focus – Unarmed Strike, Weapon Specialization – Unarmed Strike

Human Feats: Quick to Master – Strong Soul

Monk Feats: Deflect Arrow, Flurry of Blows, Improve Unarmed Strike, Monk AC Bonus, Monk Speed, Purity of the Body, Still Mind, Wholeness of Body

Rogue Feats: Uncanny Dodge I

Skills: Disable Trap 15, Discipline 19, Lore 19, Open Lock 15, Persuade 15, Search 15, Tumble 15, UMI 15

Skill Points Saved: 12

Items: Improved Robes of the Old Older, Boots of Speed, Gloves of the Hin Fist +5, Cloak of Fortification +3, Ring of Power, Ring of the Rogue +4, Amulet of the Master, Thieves Hood, Belt of Giant Strength +4, Composite Bow +3, 198 Acid Arrows, various potions and scrolls

Gold: 80K

Here is how I leveled up the character…

Level 1: Monk – Hero’s Luck and Strong Soul
    Level 2: Rogue
    Level 3: Rogue – Skill Focus – Open Locks
    Level 4: Monk - +1 DEX
    Level 5: Fighter – Weapon Focus – Unarmed Strike
    Level 6: Fighter – Dodge and Skill Focus – Disable Traps
    Level 7: Rogue
    Level 8: Fighter - +1 WIS
    Level 9: Fighter - Weapon Specialization – Unarmed Strike and Toughness
    Level 10: Monk
    Level 11: Monk
    Level 12: Rogue - +1 WIS and Improve Critical Unarmed Strike
    Level 13: Monk
    Level 14: Monk
    Level 15: Monk – Mobility
    Level 16: Monk - +1 WIS

10. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Appraise is a very useful skill to have if you tend to sell/buy stuff a lot.
    Your base INT is decent so if you find any INT-increasing items around I suggest you hold on to them at least until you have to go sell/buy items from a store again.
    Appraise can easily mean anything from a 6,000 gold profit to a 10,000 gold discount with a lot of items.

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

What is the point of appraise if I still end up have 80K in gold after buying all the better equipment at the start of the new chapter? I find appraise as a useful skill if the character is contantly buying better supplies, which my character only does at the start of a new chapter and usually has plenty of gold left to spare after acquiring the new equipment and still has the whole chapter left to explore and sell any acquired equipment.

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I finally finished NWN the OC with my character being level 18. Here are my thoughts on the OC….

The prologue and chapter 1 should be combined; there should not be a week between the prologue and chapter 1. Chapter 1 story wasn’t all that bad and could have been better if some of the characters you interacted with in Chapter 1 assisted you in Chapter 4, like the Blood Sailors, etc…

Chapter 2 continued on with the story with improvements when compared to Chapter 1. The additional tile sets and story development made this chapter more memorable and is why I continued to play the OC.

Chapter 3 continued to develop the story and had more interesting development in the game: traveling back in time, teleporting into a miniature world, etc… but it was the same idea, fetch these items to move onto the next chapter which does get boring; however, chapter 3 continued with Chapter 2 on improving the OC feel when compared to Chapter 1.

Chapter 4 was short and stupid. Seriously where was the story development? I had the game beat in less than an hour after I started Chapter 4. I didn’t even gain one single character level in this chapter. This chapter ruined the OC; it is as if the game was rushed into production and the last chapter was thrown together to make the release date.

The only module left that I have not completed from the Diamond edition is HotU, which I will start tonight.

I will post my character later.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    HotU is the best of the bunch, by far.

14. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    If you're into buying magical items with special properties a lot, especially magical scrolls then Appraise should help. I brought it up since you've put points in UMI.

In HotU things will be different though, and you'll want to save as much money as you possibly can - whether for powergaming purposes or otherwise.

15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I'm not a weapon type of guy as I do know you build your own weapons in HotU. I actually prefer using my fist; though I heard that they tend not to work as good as a kama build monk.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only in a few (albeit difficult) fights. But you will have the opportunity to purchase the +10 Gloves of the Hin Fists, which will help. Just have a lot of money available before chapter three.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.