1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting again

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Sir Feat, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Sir Feat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

G'day all.

Surprised and impressed to find you still going as I gather TeamBG have folded. Their site seems no longer to exist, anyway.

I began at Candlekeep years ago and worked through the entire trilogy, and then on to Neverwinter - but tho' I played NWN I never enjoyed it as much as BG - because for all its 3D gimmicks it never had the fun of the 'interplay' between the characters of your party - even if you can undress your heroines!!.

So I thought I'd begin at Candlekeep again.

Trouble is, I have mountains of downloaded stuff on CD-R and now can't remember what goes where.

Two things I have which I did not use first time around are BG TuTu and Dark Side of the Sword Coast, but as TeamBG are no longer talking to anyone I can't find out what DSotSC is. Can you play it as just another 'quest' within a normal BG game or is it something new and separate like 'Epic Endeavours' for BGII, which you had to start a new game for and which did not relate to the 'Trilogy'?

I've also tried 'TuTu' but it wouldn't run because it logged "unsupported infinity engine variant". I guess this is because the BGII on my hard-drive bears very little resemblance to the game on CD, as it now has 'Big Picture' 'TDD', 'SoS' et al.

I gather TuTu and Dark Side are incompatable. Given a choice between the two which would people suggest I start again with?

If TuTu needs a fresh install of BGII can I do this within a new folder on my games partition, so that in fact I have two versions of BGII on the same drive, or is this going to cause conflicts within the Registry?

In New Zealand I've never known if I have the US, UK or International version of the game. Can anyone tell me where I find out? I've been using the International patches but still had the odd hiccup, which might be because I had the wrong patch.

Any other advice for someone starting out again with only vague memories of the game?

Thanks.

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

TuTu is compatible with all WeiDU mods, AFAIK. Other than that though, you're hit and miss. I'd most definetly recommend TuTu and DSotSC over one or the other. BG1 minus TuTu can sometimes be frustrating if you're used to more modern games. Besides, the BG2 engine really shines in the outdoor areas of BG1 (except for the green water :) )

I've never played DSotSC, but I hear good things about it. If you're really bent on one or the other, go with TuTu, as an unmodded BG1 is just fine with me still.

Also, you might want to check out the review I did of TuTu.

3. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Something to remember about using tutu is that there are several ad-ons especially for it, like the npc banter pack and the new NPCs (Can't rememebr their names offhand) which are quite cool. It really is worth it if you're that way inclined.

4. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Any mod that's made for BG2 will work with BG1TuTu (although whether or not the content of that mod will appear in BG1 depends.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.