1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic - Favoured Jedi Class

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Series' started by The Kilted Crusader, Jan 20, 2004.

1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

In Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic, what is your preffered Jedi class anda reason why?

Personally, I like to use the Guardian Jedi, as I like a bit of toe-to-toe dueling, and leave the mind tricks to Jolee Bindo.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I prefer a 100% light scoundrel-jedi consular build. It is kind of cheesy but Stasis Field plus sneak attack bonus damage on immobile opponants equals instant carnage :D . There are very few enemies who will resist a consular's Stun tree powers and the few who do can generally be tossed around like leaves by the powers in the Force Push tree.

I once beat Malak by just hitting him repeatedly with Force Waves. There is nothing quite like watching the Dark Lord of the Sith landing flat on his rear and then struggling to get up only to have the same thing happen again and again and again :lol: .

3. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I used Guardian - smashing things is fun, and I was already using a sword to great effect anyway.

I was always the only Jedi in my little trio - I found the other two really annoying (especially Bastila), and wanted someone capable of beating up all the little sith that came along.

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Blue chrystal for me, i mostly pick the melee fighting type in whatever game i play.

And now we're on the subject, i'd like to use this thread to request a spoiler. :D

After visiting Yavin spacestation for the third time, you can buy two powerful upgrades for your lightsabre, namely "the mantle of the force" and "heart of the guardian". They're pretty expensive, somewhat 45.000 Credits for the two together, so they must be special. The thing is... i can't assemble them to my lightsabre, they don't even appear among the possible upgrades when you use a workbench. Can anyone tell me why that is ?

5. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

It goes in the slot for the lightsabre's colour. I was wondering about this for a while before I found it. :D

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yes, they go into the colour slot. They don't do anything directly but instead modify the effects of your other crystals. You can find a very good crystal guide here.

Personally, I love to have my character dual wield Mantle-Solari-Upari with Heart-Jenraux-Phond. This combo grants you tons of bonus damage and virtual immunity to blaster fire (+15 blaster defence bonus), not to mention that the odds of reflecting the blaster bolt back at the enemy are very high. Add this to stasis field, flurry and 4-24 sneak attack bonus damage and the enemies are cut down like flies. :)

[ January 20, 2004, 21:48: Message edited by: JSBB ]

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Guardian does seem to give the most bang for the buck so to speak, with that class I have enough force powers and enough force points and high enough DC's for me to never really bother about it. The sentinel just seems pointless. The consular is pretty cool and I have played it through with a soldier/consular build once which was very powerful, both a very competent fighter and a forcepowerhouse. Right now I am playing scoundrel6/guardian14, it kicks serious buttock. masterspeed,Forcejump, forcewave, improved flurry cuts sith masters to ribbons.

8. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

And it is not your 3rd visit to Yavin, It is after you have 3 map pieces.

I Like the Scout/Sentinel mix. You have enough skill points to do alot of everything (plus you can easily use HK-47 to his full potential since Repair is a class skill for scout - you need at least a 17 in repair to get all of his abilities). You can specialize in a few things (don't make him a true jack of all trades) and he can kick serious butt so that you don't need to carry around useless members like the utility droid.

9. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Thanks guys, that helped. It would have been a shame to spend 45.000 Credits on chrystals and then not being able to do anything with em. They're defenitely worth the trouble though.

10. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I like Guardian the best, there's just something about single handedly taking down a couple of dark jedi with just a saber :)

11. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I also liked Guardian the most, I just couldn't get enough of that feeling when you jump at enemy and kill him in 2-3 rounds. And fights look soo good.

12. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Consular. It's like in D&D. If I can, I take a mage with sucky physique and awesome power.

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just got KotoR last night (woot woot!) and my first character is a Scounrel (level 4 right now). I'm not that far in, having just barely reached the lower city.

What should stat distributions look like for the various characters? Guessing, I did the following for my character:

STR 14 (added my first stat point here, so 15 now)
    DEX 14
    CON 14
    INT 10
    WIS 14
    CHA 12

What are some good suggestions for stats, depending on class? Any help appreciated.

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I would stay away from strength and focus more on dexterity. When you dual class over to jedi you will be wanting to wear robes to make use of your force powers and light sabers user dexterity for their to hit (but not damage) modifier.

Wisdom is important for force powers but it is not critical to boost it beyond 14 unless you plan to turn your character into a jedi consular. I probably would have made the character's strength and intelligence both 12 to get the extra skill points.

For any class except the jedi counsular (for whom I would focus on wisdom) I would focus on dexterity. Personally, I favour the scoundrel-counsular build so I would have recommended you take

Strength 12
    Dexterity 14
    Constitution 14
    Intelligence 12
    Wisdom 14
    Charisma 12

with all of your level up bonuses going into wisdom. If you plan on making him a guardian I would say the same starting stats but level up bonuses going to dexterity.

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So then would you say that strength is negligable for a jedi? I can't image the +2 to damage I would have from a 16 strength wouldn't help me all that much in the long run, but I'm not sure. Is this correct?

edit - Also, what are the benefits and differences between the Scoundrel, Soldier and Scout? I wasn't sure so I just went for the one that sounded coolest. Sorry, I dont have a manual.

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

It is almost completely negligable if you are going to be wielding a lightsabre. Stick with dexterity or wisdom.

Soldiers get the most feats and as the name suggests make the best tanks. They receive very few skill points.

Scoundrels are rogue types who get lots of skill points and are good at stealth (with the added scoundrel bonus of sneak attacks), persuassion and hacking computers.

Scouts are somewhere in between with their skills favouring repairing things with the added benefit of getting free implant use feats. The implants are fairly useful for boosting stats, giving immunities and/or boosting skills but most of these can be achieve through other items.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Are you sure that strenght doesnt help with to hit with lightsabres? I have gone through the game thrice under that assumption and hasnt seen anything to make me believe that it doesnt help, as a fact I am sure that your to hit raises and lowers when you raise and lower your strenght. On the other hand I havent noticed dexterity affecting lightsabre combat, but then again I havent looked but I have run both a very high dexterity character and a high strenght character and I seem to recollect that the strenght one atleast didnt have lower to hit than the dex one.

Clarification would be nice. :)

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I enjoy Soldier->Guardian for a male yet for female I prefer Scoundrel->Consular. I find sentinel to be useless since they don't aquire any more force powers than a guardian (only 2 more force points per level - whoopee :rolleyes: ) and have less feats. Sure the immunities are nice but I can get the same via force resistance and imunity. Nothing beats dual wielding both Mantle of the Force and Heart of the Guardian sabers and leaping head-long into battle.

If only Big Z could become a Jedi (because Wookiees can believe it or not) then you'd have a Guardian worth fearing :D

19. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Think of it in D&D terms - Jedi with lightsabres get free weapon finesse (which my manual didn't bother to tell me about). So, if your dex is higher than your str it will be used to determine your ability to hit. Strength can still be used to make this determination if it is higher than your dex. Strength affects your damage. Dexterity affects your AC. I think JSBB is saying you're better off with a good to hit ratio and high AC than a minimal increase in your damage. I agree.

My favorite class by the way was scout/consular going to the darkside. Force kill, storm, insanity etc. are tremendous fun.

My personal opinion is to stay away from the soldier. Scout has better skills and gets free feats making up for the soldier feats. The scoundrel gets sneak attack and awesome skills. The scoundrels sneak attack is applied whenever a guardian uses force jump and when enemies are stunned so, imo, a scoundrel/guardian is the strongest melee class while a scout/consular was the most fun as a consular class. Your mileage may vary.

20. joacqin

Media:
    Laches, that was rather obvious, I feel kinda stupid now. :)

I dont know about raising AC though, I had a scout4/guardian16 build who concentrated on AC and I managed to get it up to 33-36 unbuffed, I wasnt hit often but I was still hit sometimes. To tell the truth I was pretty much hit just as much with that AC as with a ten points lower one. I remember being kinda surprised that my first character with an AC of 23 at the end of the game was barely hit. My 36AC character was probably hit less but the difference wasnt immense. However, in this game you can build whatever you want and it only really matters for yourself. The enemies will fall like wheat before the scythe whatever you do, even on the hard setting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.