1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stalker questions, discussion etc.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mercury Star, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am greatly enjoying my playthrough with a stalker. This class can whipe out a room full of powerful monsters all by himself. The armor penalty does not affect me in any serious way(dexterity 18).

First of all, is there an error in the description? Backstab multiplier by *1x*? Should it not be 2x? By the description my stalker should deal double damage, but instead he does triple.

Second, Im a little disappointet with the special mage spells a stalker gets. They are all pointless. Protection from normal missiles? In SoA its worthless. Haste? There are plenty of mages around with it and there isnt much to choose from the 3rd level spells in any way. Minor Spell Deflection? By the time I got it there werent any small-time mages left.

It is annoying that the druids have such a poor selection. A paladin has an access to awesome clerical spells which are still of use even at high levels. The low level(and even high level) druid spells are just... awful!

So, what spells do you take for a ranger/kits? Armor of Faith is a must, I understand. Call Lightining can be of some use in a few cases, I guess. And be free do discuss this class and his kits in however you want.

2. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Stalkers backstab for double damage at levels 1-8, triple damage at levels 9-16, and quadruple damage at levels 17 and above. The original kit description is accurate but poorly phrased--1x bonus means base (1x) +1x damage aka double damage, 2x means base (1x) + 2x aka triple, etc. The one from the Baldurdash GTU is flat out wrong.

3. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I cast up to five hastes per rest period, it is one of the best spells in the game; it's certainly the best at that level, so there is no reason to complain.

4. Aegor Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yeah, and why waste your mage's lv3 spell slot on haste when you can have your Stalker cast it? ;) Since there are a lot of great lv3 spells I'm sure your mage will welcome a free slot or two.

As for other Stalker spells I'm sure you can make some use of Barkskin (AC and save vs. spells) and Resist Fire&Cold. For lv.3 spells Haste is great, Resist Fire can help, Minor Spell Turning (as minor as it is, it still can stop 4 magic missiles) is OK as is Call Lightning when you're outdoors.

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I can find uses for Call Lightning but I don't usually cast it from a fighter type so that would be a little different.

True Druids though get nasty if they get over that huge XP gap and get their high level spells. They get a bit different and come into their own after that point.

The stalker does sound interesting though and I sometimes feel like you about their mage spells. Some of them I just don't use. Certain ones the use comes in how and when you do certain things though. Like if you time Fir'Kraag's dungeon for when you have the protection from normal missiles for just starting it can be useful. I believe they shoot normal arrows at you at that point. As has been said though more haste casters can always be a good thing. Specially a fighter that can buff himself up and get ready for action more quickly.

6. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually, I've found that Armor of Faith isn't very useful for Rangers/Paladins. The problem is that you have to take the Ranger's caster level into account. Until you hit level 12 or 13 (the way the spell description is written is ambiguous), AoF will only prevent 5% of damage, and only 10% after that, since a Ranger's casting level is capped at 9. So at low levels, AoF is only going to prevent 1 damage per hit. If you want a defensive spell, you are probably better off just going with Cure Light Wounds.

I think you're generally right, and a Stalker doesn't really benefit all that much from spellcasting. That leaves stealth/backstabbing as its attraction, and if that's what you want, why not play a fighter/thief instead? In the long run, you get a better backstab multiplier, and a wider choice of HLA's.

7. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

8. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Personally I've never been a big stalker fan. I just don't see what they have that a good F/T doesn't have (especially after UAI)

9. Derkoth the Disgruntled Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Druid spells are awful? What about Iron Skins? Elemental Summoning? Am I missing something here?

Once backstab hits 4x with high-level fighter weapons and the occasional mage spell and stealth, you're talking about a pretty wicked character, to my mind. Backstab + Critical Strike = Chunks.

DtD

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

You're missing that Stalkers are rangers, not druids. They only get spells up to level 3, which means no Ironskins and no Elemental Summoning.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Spells -- Armor of Faith is okay, so is bless and entangle. For second level: barkskin and slow poison are useful. I like summon insect for third level spells. I rarely use spells with either the Ranger or Paladin (the other party member are so much more effective and you can't put the pointy end in the bad guy casting spells).

The multiclass F/T is a great character with a boatload of HLA's -- however, I think most people either use it as a stealthy fighter or a beefed up thief. If you're going the stealthy fighter mode -- and don't mind the good alignment -- then stalker is a little better (more hit points and faster THAC0 progression). The only thing you really gain from UAI is a better armor selection and that's not really a big deal late in the game (the Shadow dragon armor or grandmaster armor is quite adequate).

The dualled F/T is a different beast entirely. There are a lot of bonuses, but the HLA's will be for the thief and the THAC0 will not be as good as the Stalker.

For solo, I think F/T is better. But I think they are pretty equivalent in party play since any weaknesses can be subsidized by an NPC.

[ April 27, 2007, 17:52: Message edited by: T2Bruno ]

12. Derkoth the Disgruntled Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yah, rangers only get up to 3rd level spells... unless you use the expanded spell progression component of Zyraen's Miscellany...

Okay, so it's cheating a bit, but nonetheless, it's available.

13. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I completely agree with nataben.

F/T can be dwarves, making 'em even better! :D

14. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

With equal XP (experience points) the F/T's THAC0 is worse than the Stalker's. The F/T will eventually have a better selection of HLAs though. In general, stalker is a bit more powerful than the F/T because of better THAC0 and spells such as Armor of Faith.

Valygar, in particular, is much more powerful than an F/T because of his personal equipments which can also be upgraded if you have IA (and I know that you have IA, nataben! :) ).

15. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Not really. F/T:
    -Traps.
    -Better backstab.
    -Heavy armor when ever thief skills aren't needed.
    -All races. Like thieves better? Take a halfling. Fighters? Half-orc.
    -Special Ability: Use Any Item.

Stalker:
    -Slighty better THAC0.
    -Bad spells.
    -(The notorious) Special ability: Peeping. :p

16. Klorox

When you get to a high enough level to have HLAs, the difference in THAC0 between a F/T and a Stalker isn't much at all. It really doesn't matter, because both will hit almost every time.

Stalkers get Armor of Faith.

Fighter/Thieves get a whole lot more HLAs to choose from, and can handle locks, traps, picking pockets, detecting illusions, and are better backstabbers. They can choose to be any race except Human (half-orcs get a higher starting STR than any Stalker; Gnomes, Dwarves, and Halflings get better saving throws).

You choose. I'm going with a F/T.

You choose.

17. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    If (like me) you won't play a Stalker or a Fighter/Thief MC as the PC you may want to have Valygar in your party (there is no F/T NPC in the game so that choice is actually a very easy one).

Valygar is certainly one of my favourite NPC in the BG series. Stalkers are nice effective characters who do require some micromanagment (like every backstabbers). I don't like MC characters that much (they take ages to level up though you still get HLAs at the same time -global XPs are taken into account).

18. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The difference in THAC0s is not a "slight" one at all; but well, it's a matter of playing style. After all, none of the classes/kits should be too much more powerful than its alternatives. Players have always the choice to play the game with different characters in different game-sessions and enjoy the differences.

19. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Absolutely. While initially slight (the disparity peaks between 3.6 and 4 million XP, where the Thac0 difference is mere 5 points), the difference actually becomes completely non-existent by 6 million experience. Until the 6 million experience mark, the difference averages out to about 2 points. Given that a blade with a baseThac0 of 10 manages just fine throughout the whole of SoA and ToB, it is clear that the difference is far more negligible than it looks at first blush.

20. Klorox

Drew, I get the impression Sikret disagrees with the idea that the difference is basically negligible. Thanks for posting the facts.

Caradhras makes a great point as well. If you're not willing to play a F/T or Stalker, just take Valygar. Personally I think he's very boring, but he sure is effective.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.