1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SP's Got Talent

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Gaear, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    (Not really sure if this should be posted here or in Creativity Surge or in Whatnots ...)

Over the years (and due largely to the onset of sophistcated technology that is available to great numbers of people now), I've come to believe that most people in general have some degree of latent talent at something. Some more, some less, but it's still spread around after a fashion. This as opposed to the impression formed in eras gone by that only a select handful of persons on earth were talented, since only a few were published writers, painters, sculptors, composers, film-makers, etc. - the 'greats,' as it were.

I still suspect that there are a limited number of greats, but the greats aren't the only ones who get published these days, and this widespread ability to have your art consumed on various modern platforms has provided exposure for the work of the possibly lesser but nonetheless still talented. I don't think that ever really used to be possible.

To be sure this leads to a lot of dreck being shoveled out there for public consumption, but there are bits and pieces of good amongst it all if you know where to look, or if you just happen upon it. And those bits and pieces are often provided by everyday people like us.

So, what is the area of the arts where you have some appreciable talent? I think, incidentally, that talent is different than skill in that it is innate, while skill is developed. Therefore you may have some innate talent at something (an ability to draw, for example) that is then refined as you become skilled at it. Or maybe you never do refine it and it remains a 'raw material,' so to speak. Conversely you can also become skilled at something for which you possess no talent. (Think of a child who is forced to practice piano for years on end but has no special love for music. They may become a good pianist without having any real talent.)

Anyway, what is your thing (if anything), what compels you to do it, and how do you go about doing it? I know we've got a few writers here, and at least one actor and one film-maker.

Don't be shy! :)

2. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I love to write. I've played music, tried drawing, and hated acting, but nothing is more enjoyable to me than making up stories and putting meaning behind the plot and characters. I see a lot of Dungeons and Dragons novels at Barnes and Noble pretty often, and i've had a good story in my head for a while now that I would like to see if I can get published at some point in the future when I have refined my skills. People always tell me they really love the stuff that I come up with, but I can't tell if they actually do or if they are just being nice :lol:

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    lol ... true. IMO just use your common sense. People who are genuinely into some form of art don't deal in platitudes; they'll ask intelligent questions (how did you do that, where did you get that idea, etc.) that show they're actually thinking about it. Or they'll just express genuine emotion, not "Oh my god that is so cool anyway what's for lunch. :heh:"

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Literature and singing I used to have talents in. Slowly getting the time to practice the former and the latter received some permanent damage :rolleyes:

I have generally very little talent, the things I enjoy I've never been particularly good at.

I guess I have some small talent for Fencing as I once defeated an olympic team fencer in a five point match, it's what spurred my trainer to prepare me for tournaments and possible paralympic training.

5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Playingmusical instruments. I can play the 'cello, violin, piano, sopranino, descant, treble, tenor and bass recorder (as well as teach them). My secondary school music teacher said that I could pick up any instrument and learn to play it to a decent standard within a few days. However, this doesn't extend to the guitar for some reason

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    You don't suppose that the engineers, scientists and philosophers who made the world move forward have a talent. As much as I like art, I'd rather label those people as "the Greats" :)

The Great Snook likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.