1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spoilers requested regarding dragons

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Pac man, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

How on earth does one defeat dragons in NWN2 ? I thought i was pretty much a veteran when it comes to handling these kind of situations in games, but this time i get my behind kicked time and time again. I've tried several approaches, all to little or no effect, so spoil me before i go mad.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't gotten that far yet, but here's an excerpt from our NWN 2 forum news from Nov 4th:

3. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

****Spoiler****

The only tough dragon is the one red dragon. I talked to it, went to the fire giants, then told the giants "no deal" to kill the dragon. I then proceeded to say, "Attack both" and run away... one fire giant went after me, the rest fought the dragon. When the dragon was low on HP I sent in Zhjaeve to harm it. (my party was level 15), so she was taking 150 damage twice I think before she died (has crazy regen), then the fire giants were a cake walk.

****Spoiler End****

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

That never worked for me, i think it was some sort of bug. The thing is, i agreed to kill the giants for her, and so i did, but when i returned to her to finish that quest, she told me to go ahead and attack the giants camp, which i obviously just did. It was there and then that i decided the kill the dragon as well, and see what's in all those chests behind here. I haven't had much succes so far.

5. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Did you go kill the king Giant, it's the *other* enterence to the canyon that the dragon ISN'T at.

6. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

After getting my butt handed to me several times I just spammed the heck out of it with Flesh to Stone. By the sixth attempt or so she rolled a 1. Dragon statue! Woot!

I give Obsidian credit for this fight though. NWN1 had incredibly easy dragons, especially compared to BG2, so it was nice to see a worthy opponent especially so late in the campaign.

7. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

It was a tough dragon.

FYI a dragons lowest save is reflex (dragons have a dex of 10 - period. All their saves grow strong based on HD, so with a CON of like 30 and WIS of like 25, Reflex is the weakest save. For a red dragon, this means you want to use cold spells to do double damage and avoid red spells which do 0 damage).

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That was a tought fight (I took her on in her lair rather than letting the Fire Giants weaken her).

I had Elanee, Zhaeve, Neeshka, and Khelgar.
    I cast Energy Immunity:Fire on everyone, Bull's Strength, Foundation of Stone, Tortoise Shell and Stoneskin on me and Khelgar, Barkskin and Stoneskin on Neeshka, Stone Body on Zhaeve, Greater Stoneskin on Elanee.

Then I loaded the casters up on things like Moon Beam, Destruction, Harm, Bombardment, Flame Strike, Hammer of the Gods, Ice Storm, etc.

The time I added Moon Beam to the list was when I won, so I think reducing the Dragon's strength with a bunch of those helped a lot. When the fight was over, everyone still had a lot of HP left.

I think Elanee got the actual kill with her last Harm because she has the Dragon Slayer epithet.

9. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Harm is amazing, it's 10/level or 5/level when saved on, so when you're fighting the dragon at about level 15, that's 150 damage or 75 a hit, and you won't miss, because as stated above, dragons dex = 10, touch AC = 10. With a buffed crew it's only a 5% chance ot miss (rolling a 1).

The other thing to do would be buff the tanks and nail the dragon with cone of cold until it dies, since it takes double damage from that spell.

10. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Am i missing anything? I experienced a bug with the dragon that, even after i had agreed to help her kill the giants she didnt show up... Anyway, after heading back to her lair, i fought it out and... had little to no difficulty. I did the usual anticipatory buffs and few characters *died, but other than that, she went down fairly easily. Lots of fire-resists. lots of disintegrates. lots of wacking with sharp objects. Little challenge. And it was on hardcore.

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    The only problem with Harm is you have to come in close where the dragon can disrupt your spell.

The main problem I had was with the buffs the dragon put up. The only thing I had to take them down was Dispel Magic (and the Greater variety) and that didn't seem to work real well. I also had problems targeting just the dragon with the Dispels, so sometimes I'd take down my own people's buffs instead. So melee wasn't all that effective with the 50% concealment the dragon had (Ghostly Image? Not sure what it was).

Also, I don't consider a battle won unless nobody "dies" (excepting animal companions), so I guess I'm harder on myself than I need to be :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.