1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spiderman

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Dargorn, May 13, 2002.

1. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I personally am very excited about the upcoming release (in Britain) of Spiderman. I have always been a fan of the cartoons although i have never read any sort of comic.

But i was shocked to hear this morning that spiderman is now the biggest selling movie of all time in the first week, i presume that means it beats Star Wars.
    This interested me, i have always been a fan of Spiderman but i have never been under the impression that it was such a widespread obsession.
    Sure enough, after asking around my school, out of 116 people i was one of only two people to be even remotly interested in the movie. But then i have noticed that in britain we have not many comic book shops or anything of that kind, in fact people who read comics are considered very lonely sad people and collecting is a surprisingly rare thing over here.

I think the movie will be big in England but i don't think it could beat Harry Potter or Stars Wars AOTC.

My question is: Is America more obsessive than the rest of the world with comics, do you have big comic book stores like in the movies and is it considered cool or geeky to collect over there?

[This message has been edited by Sir Dargorn (edited May 13, 2002).]

2. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] I think Britain is in the center of a dull dank dome... No I don't... They made Monthy Python hmmm. What to say. Well in Denmark lots of people read comics 10 years ago. Not much more.

hehe. So britain's youth doesn't read comics. Well that is a shame. Or is it? I think it is a common trend in the world nowadays. Other medias are luring our minds away.

Still I'll watch the spiderman movie. And I understand why it has more interest in america. It is afterall an american comics hero. How many amercans watch Monthy Python, aye Sir Dargorn?

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  4. [​IMG] Im ashamed, ArchAngel, to say that I do watch Monty Python, insofar as Monty Python and the Holy Grail.:rolleyes:
    All my friends do too, so I dont know what your tlking about that America doesnt watch Monty Python.

Oh wait..you were talking about normal people in america..I with draw my statement.

5. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I just say Spidey again for the 3rd time today :) Love that movie.

Toby signed up to do 3 Spidey movies, and I know II is nearing filming, I think.

6. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] hehe. Good one DeBhaal. :) I should have emphasises that my point was that almost every british citizen watch Monty Python. Not every american watch Monty Python. Of course some do, but some Britains do watch Spiderman too. At least I think so... heh

7. Fergus Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] 10 years ago sounds just about right.
    A lot of people read comics in the UK about 10 years ago but the story lines just became the same long winded crud. A 3 comic story line lasted for about 20 comics and nothing happened in just one comic.

Just look at early Spawn, X-men and Spiderman comics (3 best sellers) and you notice the difference with todays comics.

Can't wait to see the film as the special effects look amazing but the stories a bit weak. Should be the same as the X-men film. Anyone know when the Wolverine (X-men 2) film is coming out ?

8. Silverblade Guest

X-men 2 will come out in 2003, it won't be only about Wolverine however. In the new x-men movie the X-Men reunite again as Magneto breaks from jail, and Henry Gyrich is revealed to be alive working with Military Officer Agent Stryker to build Sentinels. The X-Men also recruit 2 new team members, Gambit and Nightcrawler.

9. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You know i live in the US and every one wants to see it in my school I thought it looked pretty dumb. I was offered to go see it and I turned it down. I personally don't get what would make you go see it. By the way I think thats a bunch of bull crap that Americans usually don't watch Monty Python it's one of the best movies I think.

10. ArchAngel Guest

Well Psycho, if as many Americans as Britains know what Monty Python is. Or have seen as many of their shows (there is much much more to Monty Python, than the movies), I'll gladly take that example back. And even be a little impressed :)

11. sorvo Guest

I collected comics for 5 years(20 years ago) and that's the only reason I went to see it! It was better then I expected, waiting for the sequals;) Kind of reminded me of my first,........Oh yeah "Star Wars" As to the comic collecting over here, I would say yes to the fanaticism(and the shops are bigger):D

12. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Just say spiderman on the weekend it was amazing. Though I was really never a big comic fan, i enjoyed the movie.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.