1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spellcasting speed?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by kingsgambit, Dec 22, 2001.

1. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I was hoping someone might be able to give a little bit of AD&D advice with particular reference to BGII spellcasting. I know how all the spell descriptions list casting times and durations etc. and also that the Robe of Vecnna and Amulet of Power lower a mage's casting times...so what do all the numbers mean? All these spells like improved alacrity too...?
    Is it relative, are they simple figures like THACO and AC? Do I subtract Robe/amulet modifiers from a spells casting time? Do different classes/characters start with different casting times, and if so, what stat might affect it (int?)?

2. Well.. i think there's a normal casting time, (the one described in the spell) but when robe of vecna is worn it will do it faster. The Improved alarcity (cant spell it) simply removes the time between spells.. so u can cast a dozen magic missile

3. Lord Sarevok Guest

I found the Robe of Vecna to be WAY overpowered combined with [ToB spells]. But on it's own it's not that great since there is still a pause between your castings, and I'd rather have him casting a spell than just standing there doing nothing. Also it looks pretty stupid when the spell is cast before you even are finished with the incanation. Only thing it helped me was that there's practically no way to inturrupt the spell, and even that's not a problem with your mage safely at the back of the group with a stoneskin on.

[ToB stuff edited out.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 22, 2001).]

4. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Basically the way casting time and weapon speed work in the BG games is that each turn is divided into 10 segments. Everybody starts thier action in part 1 and then weapon speed and casting time tell which segment they act in. That's why with the robe of Vecna on a spell with a casting speed of 1 or 2 is cast right away.

5. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31

I liked that particular feature about it, but what of the higher level spells, and the Casting time: 3+ spells?
    I don't really get it in terms of numbers but that segment thing clears it up pretty well. So in theory, without any casting time reduction things, say I cast Time Stop...*with* the robe and amulet of power...can I effectively fit more spells in the same length of time? In the latter stages (I had ToB installed already for Watcher's Keep), I used a time stop-abi dazim horrid wilting and (ToB spell, not-really-but-maybe-a-spoiler) dragon's breath which was pretty good for a humble mage...would that have worked without the robe or amulet? I could just squeeze another 2/3 of a horrid wilting before time reverted.
    Do stats affect casting time? Is there other ways to reduce it? I.....need...more...speed!!! ;)

[This message has been edited by kingsgambit (edited December 23, 2001).]

6. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Heh, I just know for sure that the stats have nothing to do with the spell casting time.

One more thing gotta be mentioned here, it's like that when you pause the game in your spellcasting, the initiation of incantation would be recalculated, so it seems more economic if having no pause in a heat of using magic.

7. herf Guest

Pausing during spell casting makes absolutely no difference to the length of time in-game it takes to cast a spell.

Every round is divided into ten. Say I have a sword and it's speed is 4, and my enemy has a sword of speed 5, I will swing my sword a few seconds before him because my speed is lower than his.

Ok, casting time. If a spell says it's casting time is 1, then the mage will concentrate for one tenth of a round and the spell will be let loose on one. So if I let loose a spell of speed 2 and my enemy lets loose a spell of speed 3 then my spell will be let loose before his.

The items that reduce spellcasting time; Just minus this number from your spell casting speed.

The only thing that reduces spell casting time is items like the Robe Of Vecna. Stats don't make a difference whatsoever. There is one spell AFAIK that removes the waiting time to cast your next spell, but that's it. AFAIK there is no spell to reduce casting time.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sorry, had to move the topic. This is what happens when people simply don't get it that NO ToB stuff can be posted in the BG2 forum. kingsgambit, if you have ToB installed, you WILL post in the ToB forum.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 23, 2001).]

9. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Sorry Tal..I am but a goblin...I am learning though, will make an effort to not make the mistake again. And thanks to everyone for the info.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.