1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spellbook skipping to the end

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Good Thoughts, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Good Thoughts Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I've just installed Baldur's Gate and also installed the SP Collection, as well as the Item Upgrade and Underrepresented Items by Weimer.

I have gone into my mages spellbook to set him up. If I wait about 5 or 6 seconds (about enough to pick a couple spells) the book scrolls all the way to level 9 and won't go back. It happens way fast, not showing any of the other levels on the way there.

I can get out go back in and get the same 5 or 6 seconds. Anybody know what's up? Thanks.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, since I'm the first reply to this post, let me be the first to ask:

Did you install the latest patch for the game?

The official patch for SoA and ToB can be found on Sorcerer's Place...I'm too lazy to give you a link, but I'm pretty sure they are under the "miscellanea" section under Games > Baldur's Gate II. :rolling:

3. Good Thoughts Gems: 2/31

Thank you Kitrax for your reply. Yes, I did. I am just going to reinstall. Perhaps it will work better this time.

About an hour later:

Well I reinstalled the game. I applied each patch as each section (SOA then TOB) was installed.
    I then installed the Kelsey patch, Unrepresented Items and then Unfinished Business because I liked the idea of playing with some differences.
    Still the same. I have created a Swashbuckler so there is not spellbook for him. But with Jaheira I tested it and when you go into her spells- after about 5 seconds the book scrolls to the end. If you click on any number it immediately skips all the way to level 7. Only by closing the book and reopening can you add and remove spells for five seconds before it scrolls forward again.
    Could it be how the game is configured. I uninstalled it about a year ago but have played it through three or four times and never had this problem. Help please!

[ October 30, 2004, 04:51: Message edited by: Good Thoughts ]

4. Deathbringer Gems: 2/31

I have been playing on many computers and have never had this problem but I have had a similar problem in the past. When you try to pickup something lying on the ground. The ground inventory just flashed open for about 1/20 of a sec. This of course annoyed me endlessly but I reinstalled and it worked fine after that.

5. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

This is an odd one. I don't know a solution, but i can offer a suggestion. Yes it is for a patch, but not for the game or your vid\sound card. Depending on your mouse\keyboard, their might be a patch available. In IWD and BG1 my mousewheel messed up and scrolled down like i was spinning it constantly, and this caused my inventory to scroll really quickly. I don't know if this would affect spellbooks, but it's all i can come up with right now. I'll take a look and see if i can come up with something more helpful for you.

6. Emmanuel Julius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Good Thoughts: do you get this problem when playing an unmodded game of BGII?

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    So you installed the game like this:
    SoA (remember to restart you computer after it's done installing), then ToB, then after a second restart, install the ToB patch.

Some people might not need to restart their computers between installations, but I've noticed that the game is really buggy from the beginning if I don't.

IIRC you don't need to install the SoA patch either if you are just going to install ToB right after you install SoA...ToB and the ToB patch fix everything in SoA that the SoA patch would. :rolling:

8. Good Thoughts Gems: 2/31

Thanks for the help guys. I haven't tried an un-modded game yet but that would be a good idea for a test. I will do that now and see what happens. I looked at the mouse contral panel properties and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Its a PS2 Microsoft Intellimouse that I have played the game with before. Be back with the results!

A little later . . .
    Well, its one of the mods. I installed the SOA and TOB and patched TOB. I then just blew through creating a mage character and tested the spellbook. Everything works fine. Guess I will install the mods one at a time and test. Will post the results.

I installed Unfinished Business- fine. I installed Kelsey- fine. I think I'm going to stop. Maybe everything would be fine but I have a feeling it was one of the Weimer mods like Underrepresented Items. Anybody know a different way to use some new items?

Thanks for everyone's help.

[ November 01, 2004, 05:02: Message edited by: Good Thoughts ]

9. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

Well, the Underrepresented Items mod never caused problems for me, but who knows - it very well may have for you. I suggest, if you want new items, to go ahead and install the UI mod, and simply uninstall it if it causes trouble.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.