1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spell protections BG2 vs IWD

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Wizard advocate, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Wizard advocate Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I was wondering why IWD spell protections consist of only globes of invulnerability and the anti-magic shell(hmm whats a mage that can't cast spells?) Why aren't there any spell deflections or spell turning? these would really ruin a mage day at one on one combat. And this also means that there is no protection from spells beyond the 4th level (unless you count the anti-magic shell)

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I think it's because IWD was designed after BG1, which is why only a few of the new spells made it in, and that could also explain why we don't have the kits that BG2 has. I think this is the reason.

3. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

because in first and second edition d&d..all these crazy protection spells didn't exist. THANK ZEUS!!! but now they do...Zeus help us all

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Err, hardly. BG2 is no more a 3rd edition D&D game than the original was. The only elements from 3rd are the new classes, and even they weren't all implemented as they should be per the new rules. R'syil got it right this time.

5. GONMAR Gems: 6/31

Because IWD is pure second edition...all the protection spells in IWD are second edition PNP D&D. They stayed pretty close to the books...until HOW

[This message has been edited by GONMAR (edited April 17, 2001).]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    All spells are from the second edition. Most of them derive back from the original D&D anyway. There are no "special" 3rd edition spells in any of the games. The only difference is that most of the spells in IWD and HoW were custom made, unlike in BG2 where most of the spells were taken directly from the books.

And again, all games are based on second edition too. Heh.

7. GONMAR Gems: 6/31

With all the protection based spells...which are not a part of 1st or second edition D&D...BG2 turned spellcasting on it's head. It's very different...in D&D all you need is dispel magic to take down magical protections...now you need all these other spells in the game. Almost every mu spell in IWD and BG1...I've cast in my own games long ago. In BG2 I spent a lot of time reading through new spells...

8. GONMAR Gems: 6/31

I know BG2 is based on 2nd edition...BASED ON...I don't seem to remember Monks, Barbarians, Katanas, Sorcerers, All the Kits, two-handed weapon prof. etc., and I don't even want to get into how many different spells there are...especially protection type spells. You can't tell me that it's more like 2nd edition than the other games...It's really a game thats different in a lot of ways...Spellcasting especially...

9. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] If you'd read what I wrote you'd see that I said that the only 3rd edition element is the new classes - Monk, Barbarian, Sorcerer. And they were not all implemented by the rules for 3rd edition but tailored for 2nd edition instead.

Katanas? Heh, you can use any weapon you want. You'll get katanas in any oriental adventure.
    Kits? Standard 2nd edition stuff. So is everything else.

Don't go on about me being wrong here when you obviously don't know enough about the topic to go criticizing.
    And don't post two posts one after another, edit your original one and append any more thoughts if you can't get everything you want to say in the first try. As of today, I'm starting a strict 50 post cut for anyone who'll try to get his post count up this way.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 18, 2001).]

10. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I'd like to know why the Cleric spells are so much better in IWD than BG2? Like all those Chant/Recitation type spells. I think you can stack at least four; Prayer, Resitation, Greater Recitation and there's one more I think. All those plus Entropy Shield for the Cleric and you're a bruiser.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Well most of them are available in the BG games too, but still, remember that IWD was made by Black Isle and BG games by Bioware. Two different companies, two slightly different approaches...

Plus, since IWD was meant much more like pure hack'n'slash than anything else, they focused on giving clerics a lot of healing and otherwise useful power since people would need it often in the game.

12. GONMAR Gems: 6/31

Anyway, If those protection based spells did not come from 3rd edition...then where did they come from? Maybe the spell compendium...I'm glad I didn't buy that book.

About the posts, I really don't care how many posts I have here...If you want to discontinue my account feel free...I hardly post here anyway.

[This message has been edited by GONMAR (edited April 19, 2001).]

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Oh, but you said much more than that. Most of it inaccurate too. But hey, suit yourself. :rolleyes:

God I love it when people edit their posts altogether. I never said I'll discontinue your account. It was just a friendly warning. That's what we do before we start shooting people usually.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 19, 2001).]

14. GONMAR Gems: 6/31

Does anyone know where all those protection spells and removal spells are in print?

15. Taluntain

Media:
    Who knows. More importantly, who cares? There's thousands of spells out there, God only knows which sources Bioware used. Most of them probably from the compendium of spells.

16. GONMAR Gems: 6/31

My whole point is this..
    If those spells came from 3rd edition...
    then because of the release of 3rd edition around the time of BG2...they added those along with the other classes to try and incoporate a little bit of 3e into the game...Since Iwd and BG were released earlier the spells from 3e were not able to be added. However, with HOW the developers were able to add a little 3e to the game due to its later release.

This is why it's important..because it would answer the original question.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Good grief, get it into your head already. THEY ARE NOT FROM THIRD EDITON. THE WHOLE GAME IS 2ND EDITION IN THE CORE, AND EVERYWHERE ELSE.
    What do I have to do to convince you? For God's sake, post on the official boards about this if you don't believe me.

18. GONMAR Gems: 6/31

Thanks pinky...

19. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Say that again goblin poop, I dare ya. My pet's gonna chew your ass up and spit it out in little chunkies. Then you can spend the rest of eternity getting them back together because you'll have plenty of free time away from these boards.
    Did you catch the hint this time or do I have to cut it in stone somewhere and throw the slab at you?

20. Havok Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Geez, cool it guys. Don't take yourselves so serious.

[This message has been edited by Havok (edited April 20, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.