1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

spell incantation curiosity

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Elfen Lied, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

the words the characters speak as the cast spells has always intrigued my a little, as it sounds kinda like latin (esp. the one that ends in Imperium), which seems weird as i didnt think people in fae'run spoke latin.

what are the various incantations?

-vacho vacho ferrie
    -gyo vacho ferrie
    -something something imperium

or some such thing

pretty cool that there is one for offensive magic, defensive magic, and well healing spells of sorts.

2. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It'd be useful if a sample spell was attached to the incantation too.

The vacho vacho one I always read as macho macho.... because it's the incantation used for Draw Upon Holy Might :)

Some necromancy spells (animate dead, finger of death) have one that sounds like "beeta morphis krang"

True Sight sounds like "steel hedeekies heck"

Invisibility 10' Radius sounds like "das waygo something"

There's some difference between a female voice and male voice too.

3. Elfen Lied

oh yeah the beeta mortis one i think the last word is more like karioh (ka-ri-oh)

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Necromancy spells say 'Vita, Mortis' and 'Karioh' or something like that. It makes sense too, Vita and Mortis mean Life and Death, right? Karioh or whatever it is, must be a command word.

Evocation spells go like 'Incantus Vulca Imperium!' as if you command an explosive energy and something flashy is coming up...(fireball!)

Illusion spells end with 'Occulus' or 'Occulos', with occuli meaning 'eye'. It makes sense to me, as those spells all trick the eye!

True Sight always sounded like 'See Yo, Ridicci, Hekto!' I hear 'see' and 'ridiculous' which may mean to see past ridiculous illusions... :hmm:

5. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

So that's where Harry Potter got his incantations from? :D

6. Elfen Lied

yeh bloody HP stealing from BG

man, i need to cast more spells, i didnt even know about the illusion ones.

i take it there is one for each school, or almost all of them

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Illusion spells generally have suprisingly low casting times. High lvl ones are casted almost instantly, ie:Mislead, Project Image so that you can not hear chanting.

Improved Invisibility nd Invisibility sphere type spells have longer casting times so you can hear the chanting.

All schools have unique lines and visual effects, with soundsets being different between priest/mage spells of same school.

Vanilla BG1 chantings are totally different, feels more primitive and actually kinda scary though.

8. saros Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Okay, this is not mine, I took it from another forum simply because my Latin is not good at all.

Icewind Dale & Baldur's Gate Spells

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes"

2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth"

3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without"

4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind"

5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare"

6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command"

7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth"

8) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me"

Yet, although the spell sounds(and effects) seem separated by school, there are certain exceptions.

For instance, take a look at the Symbol spells. They all are of the Conjuration school, and the Conjuration spells should start with the words "Facio, Voco, Ferre" and the sparkling small violet ball animation. Yet, if you start casting "Symbol, Stun", the words are "Manus, Potentis, Paro" and the animation is that of a green ball - effects, associated with the Abjuration school. And the "Symbol, Death" spell begins with the words "Vita, Mortis, Careo" and the "white ball with a star in the middle" animation, associated with the Necromancy school. So my guess is that the spells were first made, animations and all, and after that were re-arranged by schools, but of course, it was too late to change each and every spell according to the new school it went to.

9. Elfen Lied

thanks for that post Saros.

I dont suppose you could find the priest versions could you?

yeh im pretty sure thats the case, so i just wanted to be sure.

10. saros Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The priest and druid, male and female variations of the chants are merely in their pronunciation, otherwise they are identical.

11. Elfen Lied

hmm must be some werido pronounciations for some ofthem becuase some of the priest versions sound quite a bit different. i only see one on the list with the word voco, but it seems like there are two priest incatntation with that word it them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.