1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spell casting=crash

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Bavzor, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Bavzor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Greetings!

I recently decided to play through Planescape: Torment, as it has been on my to-do list for some time. I am about 3 hours in, and loving it.

However, I have run into a problem that is preventing me from progressing. Most spells in the game seem to crash my system completely. When the spellcasting starts, the game's FPS drops drastically, then my system freezes completely.

Anyone know what this might be? I am running Windows XP and have a fairly new 'puter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to play through this game.

Bav

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Got the official patch installed? Do you have the 2 or 4 CD version?

3. Bavzor Gems: 1/31

Yeah, I am running version 1.1

I have the two CD version.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't have the game installed at the moment so I can't check, but try fiddling around (turning on/off, then testing) with its graphics options to see if it makes any difference. Which graphics card do you have?

5. Kindo Gems: 1/31

Like I told you before, I am not sure if Torment ever uses 3D acceleration, but if it does, I'm sure it's during spells. That's why I thought turning that off on your system might help solve the problem, but it's a long shot, and I'm not entirely certain it has to do with 3D anyway.

All my googling has ended up with nothing so far. No similar situation anywhere. I find many instances (just on these forums) where people have experienced constant crashing, but nothing directly related to spell-casting. Most of them are about corrupt areas or the like. It would be odd if your spells were corrupt...

6. Bavzor Gems: 1/31

Well, I tried changing the graphics options in game, it stops it from crashing, but it slows the game down considerably. However, I'd rather have a slower Torment then no Torment. Thanks.

As for 3d acceleration, I am a nub and don't know how to turn that off, Kindo :o

I have an 8800GTX.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    It most likely due to changes in either DirectX or Nvidia's drivers, or both... most IE games exhibit various problems with newer graphics cards and drivers and/or latest DirectX... with games this old, it's more or less inevitable unfortunately.

8. Bavzor Gems: 1/31

Yeah, I just should have gotten around to playing this years ago. So many games to play, so little time.

9. Kindo Gems: 1/31

Heh, it's most likely not related to 3D acceleration anyway, but you change that in (run - dxdiag) and fiddle around there a bit. Don't bother with it though, because as Taluntain is saying, it's most likely due to driver issues, so check those out first. I hope it works out somehow... :(

10. Bavzor Gems: 1/31

DUDE, you were right! I turned off 3d acceleration and it is running like a champ now.

Thanks a bunch for the help, guys. You rock.

If you don't mind I'm going to get back to figuring out who the hell this Nameless One is, and listening to more of Morte's banter.

/cheer

11. Taluntain

Media:
  12. Kindo Gems: 1/31

Wonderful to hear my long shot proved to aim true.

Heh, another one joins the fold... ;)

13. ssjtomy Gems: 1/31

Where did you find the 3d acceleration? I have the same problem :(

14. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    This is explained in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814546/en-us

Follow the first four steps under Method 1:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type dxdiag, and then click OK.
    3. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click the Display or Display 1 tab.
    4. Click Disable to turn off Direct3D Acceleration.

(Apparently some people have had similar problems with Age of Mythology.)

15. ssjtomy Gems: 1/31

Thank you very much. It is working perfectly :)

16. arsenalno1 Gems: 1/31

Hi

I tried this but I don't get the option to disable 3D acc - I can only see whether or not it's activated. Where can I deactivate it? (Vista)

---------- Added 1 hours, 2 minutes and 11 seconds later... ----------

Searching around, this seems to be a common problem and I couldn't find an answer to it :(

I had the same problem with BG2, but there I could turn off the 3d in the game config - but I can't find this option in PST, is there one?

17. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    No, you have to do it in Windows. Sorry, I don't know if it works the same way in Vista as it does in XP. :(

18. Pimpollo Gems: 1/31

I have my own thread with tech problems but now I need to resolve this very one. I'm running the game on vista and have an nvidia card. I tried different things but the only solution I have come across involves running the game in a window and with something that alters the spell animations. I'm not sure where I found this fix but I do know it's a popular solution for those running the infinity engine games on modern machines. Any help would be extremely helpful as I cannot continue my game (at the part where Transcendent One uses Fire and Ice on Annah). Thanks!

19. Sonofjeffer Gems: 1/31

I had the same problem and simply turning off my 3D stuff (tech-term-wise, I'm an idiot, sorry...) through dxdiag didn't work. So I checked a bit more and found my answer in the Gibberling Tree forum (Tweak pack's people).

First disable DirectDraw Acceleration
    Start - Run - enter "dxdiag" - Display tab - Disable DirectDraw Acceleration

THEN

Right click on the Desktop - Properties - Settings tab - Advanced button - Troubleshoot tab - (...)

Here there are small divergences.

The guy on the forum seemed to feel the need to put the Hardware acceleration slider one notch up from the minimum.
    While I only put the slider one notch down from the maximum.

Aside from occasional and temporary cursor stains on menu and inventory screens (never affects gameplay), which is still better than the game stalling, tilting, and crashing at any given spell, it worked wonders for me.

I hope it can help others enjoy that game as it deserves.

20. sungnif Gems: 1/31

*BUMP*

I'm having this problem too, and I don't understand how you guys solved it. I can't seem to disable hardware acceleration or anything else on my machine.

I'm using the GOG version of PlaneScape Torment which I believe is version 1.0.0.1, with Ghostdog's, the Widescreen mod, the Fix Pack and the Unfinished Business mod. Running the game in a window on my primary monitor at 1920x1080 resolution. My OS is Windows 10 64 bit and my graphics card is an nVidia 770GTX.

I don't know if it's possible to access the necessary graphics settings in Windows 10, I certainly can't seem to. So I've downloaded DxWnd, but I barely know how to turn my computer on and off, I have zero clue how to use DxWnd and the instructions are less than clear to someone as ignorant as me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.