1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Speed Improving Suggestions

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Rastor, May 12, 2005.

1. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Any suggestions on how I can squeeze more speed out of this Falcon NW Mach V?

Specs:

Silverstone 650 Watt Power supply 24 pin
    Windows XP Pro
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
    AMD Athlon64 FX-55 Socket 939
    Zalman CNPS7000LED ALCU CPU Cooler
    Corsair TwinX 2048MB 3200LL-PT DDR2 RAM
    2x nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB PCIE
    RAID 0 Hardrives (4x Seagate 400MB 7200 RPM)
    Creative Labs AudigyII ZS Platinum Pro

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yes, you may want to consider a Cray. :)

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I didn't understand a word of that post, other than "Windows XP Pro".

What is a Falcon NW Mach V? Sounds more like a fighter jet than computer.

4. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Yes, Yes, we know your taking the p*ss - unless you plan on a career in weather forecasting.
    But you could get 2 512mb GF6800U cards instead(Actually I don't think you can get your hands on these yet anyway)
    Thats about 3 grand worth of machine, don't they spray paint the cases or something on those? Not really a sensible purchase unless you've got plenty of dollars to burn.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Harbourboy

Here's a translation in laymans terms: Windows XP, expensive hardware, lotsa power, and rather modern too. Costs $$$.

Those two GFs are SLI, aren't they? Considering how much power that setup requires, thus generating a lot of heat and noise, have you considered water-cooling? More speed + silence, I would guess, but otherwise that setup is probably as good as it can get ATM. ;)

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31

$3 grand machine? Try $9 grand.

The two GFs are SLI, yes. I have heard that it is possible to cool PCs with liquid oxygen. How would that compare to water cooling?

It actually doesn't produce much noise as is. Isn't the only real speed advantage of water cooling that you have more room for overclocking because of the heat removal?

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Water cooling because of:
    - Less fans, less noise.
    - Possibility to overclock.
    - The cooler the HW is, the better, no?

Plus, a chance to brag with it -which is obviously what you want to do with that kind of machine. I seriously doubt anyone would invest such crazy amounts of money to a single computer unless there wasn't some "manly honour" involved. :D

Like said, that's probably the best, standard hardware you can get and the only way to improve it is by going to the chipmakers themselves and requesting a custom model. Now THAT might be a bit expensive. :p

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
  9. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Rastor, what that system needs more than anything are front and rear spoilers - they will improve aerodynamics significantly.

Oh, and variable valve timing would be a big help too.

:p

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, you could start with a water cooling system to cool those two SLI cards, 4 hard drives, and CPU down. You could get a 800W+ power supply. And you could try a Raid 0+1 setup.

Now, waht you *should* do is sell that expensive load of crap and start all over using an Intel CPU (dual core), an Abit mobo (Fat1ty), an ATI video card (X850), Corsair XMS Series RAM (4 gigs), keep the Seagate HDDs, and get a Danger Den water cooling system.

Sorry dude, while your system *is* fast, it doesn't impress me. :rolling:

12. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Apparrently dual core is a waste of time for gaming at the moment - until they start changing the way they code games. I'd personally choose 2 GF6800us over an X850 anyway. What are you trying to do with this monster anyway - get into the 3d mark top 100?

Rastor I meant sterling which would be about $5500ish but at $9,000! you could probably build 3 or 4 SLI FX55 boxes for that.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/game/20050411/sli_gaming-07.html

Tom has it down at $6485 - for the $2515 change you could build another SLI FX55 system. Without that dodgy spray job!
    Next time you feel like making a purchase give me a call I'd love to be your middle man.
    From the pictures on the site it looks like you get some Falcon coffee as well as a Falcon mug....... (no pun intended)
    kidding aside, I must admit I'd like to get my hands on one of these if money was no object of course.

[ May 13, 2005, 10:49: Message edited by: Tap Dancing Oyster ]

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Tom's Hardware is off. It wasn't the fancy paint job that pushed the price, it was the hard drive and optical drive upgrades. The machine that Tom's Hardware priced had the Maxtor drives (about $400 cheaper, each) and did not have dual Sony Double-Density DVD-burners. His machine also only had two hard drives, not four.

That would probably be slower. The ATI card alone is much slower than the SLIs. The Intel dual-core would only be faster if they were both 4.0 GHz EEs, and that would push the price well over $10k.

[EDIT]I just priced the exact same system using a Dual-Core Intel EE instead of the FX-55. The price was indeed well over $10k and the speed difference was in favor of the FX-55.[/EDIT]

Kitrax, you are welcome to your opinion, but never tell me crap like that. If you think that I do not do any research before buying a computer, you are sorely mistaken.

That was one of the reasons, :) . Actually, a few acquaintances have been bragging about their systems and I wanted to knock them down a few pegs.

A few people seem to misunderstanding me. The machine is already quiet as a whisper. I cannot hear it at all after the boot-up process. The volume of a cooling system does not matter to me. It is already overclocked. What I would love to do is to double the core speed of that FX55. Can a water cooling system do it (it already has a high-end CPU cooler on it).

14. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

I'm not sure wether you will be able to double the speed of an FX55 - it's probably been done using dry ice or something like that. You can't run a system like that for anything more than a temporary cooling boost. Overclocking at this level gets so complicated and labourious that I don't really take that much notice of the articles.
    Try the forums at extreme overclockers or some site like that - google it. If your buying hardware like this I'd imagine you know more that a least 99% of people here anyway.
    I personally think its a bit of a waste of time - in 6 months time there will be better hardware, and you'll just have to start again. Thats just me though.

[ May 18, 2005, 11:21: Message edited by: Tap Dancing Oyster ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.